Mark Mancina's THE SEA BEAST (2022)

Jay

I've liked everything that Mancina has done for animation so I'm rather looking forward to this.

The film looks like a lot of fun and the general credentials are quite promising, I'm cautiously optimistic on this one... (although I agree that his Moana score didn't quite hit the spot as I had hoped, and certainly not as enjoyable as Christophe Beck's Frozen scores).

On 30/06/2022 at 6:49 PM, JTWfan77 said:

There's a Legally Blonde musical?

There is... it was quite good. Although to be fair the only reason I saw it was because my friend wanted to go and it had Peter Davison in it (the Fourth Doctor) and I got his autograph, but my friend then lost the programme. Dammit. The show wasn't exactly Hamilton, but it was pretty fun all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally listening to this, and like it a lot so far!  The very first track is a great album-opener that puts you in the mood

The track "The Fight of the Giant Crab" sounds like Elfman's Planet of the Apes though...

I listened to this score album again today and liked it again.

Between this and Paws of Fury, it is so nice to have new big orchestral film scores to be excited about again, especially since Giacchino's blockbuster efforts let me down this year in different ways

So are me and @Stark the only people on all of JWFan who like this score?

I think it's really good and that a lot of JWFanners would like it.

Sample this album opener, maybe it will encourage you to listen to the whole album!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

So are me and @Stark the only people on all of JWFan who like this score?

I think it's really good and that a lot of JWFanners would like it.

Sample this album opener, maybe it will encourage you to listen to the whole album!

Pretty enjoyable, even if it doesn't quite hit the heights of the scores it calls back to (HTTYD amongst others), but the mixture of orchestra and sea shanty style is a lot of fun, even if I couldn't for the life of me remember the main thematic material. However, will give it a few more listens.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh I don't think it's up there with Mancina's best work, nor the very best of the animated action/adventure genre, but it's still very good, and certainly among the very best of scores being made in the year 2022, and that's good enough for me to be pretty excited about it!

Agreed and it's a sensible length album! If it were 75 minutes, I think I'd have been bored by the end, but this is just a nice satisfying, fun and tuneful listen. Ideal music for BBQ prep (I just discovered).

Yes I also appreciate the overall length, though it still disappoints me when its over because there is no real big wrap-up, climactic feel to anything at the end.  A final suite track would have helped a lot I think.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes I also appreciate the overall length, though it still disappoints me when its over because there is no real big wrap-up, climactic feel to anything at the end.  A final suite track would have helped a lot I think.

That's true, even just an edited together suite would have been nice. RIP end credits suites ;-)

Has anyone figured out the chronological order for this album by chance? I watched the movie recently and it's clear that the album tracks are out of order. Given that Mancina himself talks about the development of musical ideas, particularly the evolution of Jacob's theme, it would be great to listen to the music in its proper order, so as to hear these progressions.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, nice catch. I've never heard this particular Elfman score, but those 3 repeating string col legno strikes are directly lifted from here.

Another clear temp influence is Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean 2, featured at the beginning of the track Little Blue. This to me was the only really obvious one.

Here's a quick edit with both tracks playing on top of each other! Some minor chord alterations and phrase structure, but the influence is pretty evident.