Jurassic Park 2-CD (La-La Land) - 5th Of July 2022

crocodile

28 minutes ago, Amer said:

I hate the new cover. Sorry. 

The boxset one is colourful, deep, conveys a mood. This one's bare and flat. I get the book cover but I still don't like it much.

I can't really imagine any feature this could have that would make me want to rebuy it but it definitely deserves to remain in print - as long as TLW's also coming a couple months later!

Holy f***. I ordered willow this morning seeing no LLL flyer or email!!!!

I hate double dipping with a passion.

depending on the upgrade…I suppose ill buy my favorite score again. 

would have preferred jpIII. Lets hope they expand the trilogy with similar art design by the least….

There was one tooth remaining in the original

Really sometimes i feel there are so many rerereleases eating up resources that could be spent in unreleased-unexpanded scores….

i know these are fast money for the labels, but why invest money and time slightly improving it, when it could be a straight reissue(as sometimes they do)…

I suppose it is not the case but it feels as if the labels search the vaults and they find something and quickly want to release it. And then calmly the do a more thorough research and find the ultimate elements for perfect restoration.

11 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Why do folks say " I hate double dipping!"  and then go ahead and double dip?

" We do what we're told...

Told to do.."

Its the fucking ocd.

but straight reissues i dont buy for sure.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

But good for those who missed the box, though.

:wave:

But I do believe, like someone else said, JP is borderline a score that should always be available to buy. 

It's like Ray Winstone's line in The Departed....

"Thats not quite a score that can't be out of print but it's almost a score that can't be out of print."

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But if you buy it you will prevent a person who does not own it to buy it…

I’ll buy it for my son but store it with my CDs obviously. ;)

33 minutes ago, ZackR said:

Whether there are tweaks or improvements or not, more people having the opportunity to own JP is a good thing in my book!

34 minutes ago, ZackR said:

so I’ll be ordering this on release day no matter what.

Well that's immediately only 4999 more people having the opportunity to own it instead of 5000! ;)

5 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Because seriously, how can you improve on the 2016 release? I can't think of anything!

I remember some perfectible fade-in for the start of "Entrance of Mr. Hammond" and a weird sounding opening for "The T-Rex Chase" (as if the higher frequencies were cut).

Apart from those little little very minor things, I can't think of any way to improve the 2016 release.

I remember Mike talked in a podcast that they transferred the multitracks in 2016, so maybe he used those and created a new mix for this release (leading to a better sound?). The 2016 release came from the original stereo mixes if I remember correctly.

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

If this is some minor bullshit upgrade, like a slightly different take on a track, or that some tracks were mastered from a better source, I’d say it borders on disrespectful to the fans who bought the box set.

It’s not catering to a market - it’s abusing a loyal fan base.

If Mike notices things that could be improved or even fixed, I'd rather seeing him doing a new, even more perfect master than re-releasing his older one just to not be "disrespectful to the fans who bought the box set".

If this new release feature a new mix made from the multitracks, LLL have to mention it in its sale speech.

It's not a general public release, it's a Limited Edition, a specialized product for connoisseurs. They can get technical with us... unless maybe they don't know well their customers?

The Legacy of John Williams social media posts did mention more details coming soon, so perhaps we’ll find out. This will go on sale Tuesday correct?

11 hours ago, Josh500 said:

But I don't see why the soundtrack has to reference the Crichton novel at all, which by the way hardly anybody has read.... If that was indeed the thought behind it.

Ha ha. I read it the week it came out! It was great.

Agreed though that the link between the soundtrack and book is pretty tenuous. 

17 minutes ago, mstrox said:

?????????

9DF077E5-B16B-4899-9CB6-EF87298A15E6.jpeg

It has sold many copies due to the success of the movie, yes. But trust me, hardly anybody has read it. Relatively speaking. Maybe 30% of the copies sold have been read from cover to cover. If that.

And that number is even lower for TLW, the novel.

23 minutes ago, lairdo said:

Agreed though that the link between the soundtrack and book is pretty tenuous. 

I don't buy that at all. But whatever. The cover is not the issue, anyway.

The real question is what the changes are, when it comes to the music. I'm waiting for LLL to release additional info.

11 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Yes!!!!!

As someone who missed the JP Collection this is amazing news.  I'm not a huge fan or listener of The Lost World so I'm glad to be able to buy JP by itself!

Although if they do this treatment to TLW, I'll pick it up as well.

Life LLL finds a way..

I am in this exact boat, and I will almost certainly buy this. And I agree about classics being perpetually in print—so somebody reissue Heidi already!

Actually, I think the entire JW catalog should be perpetually in print…

6 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I am in this exact boat, and I will almost certainly buy this. And I agree about classics being perpetually in print—so somebody reissue Heidi already!

For those who missed the 2016 release, this is certainly good news.

But the question is, what miniscule changes will they offer us in this new package. This is starting to look like a cheap gimmick. Anybody who got the 2016 release now have to decide whether to get this new edition because of a new remaster or 10 seconds of "never before released orchestral fade-in"... Or something like that.

But with all that said, my opinion about the music doesn't change a bit. I still love this classic soundtrack, which is vintage John Williams!

10 hours ago, Amer said:

I think the last reissue AI was rather an interesting one. Glad I got that rare version in time. 

Wait. Was there any difference between the 20th Anniversary Edition of the expanded A.I. and the regular expanded A.I.? 

I thought it was the exact same content...

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

For those who missed the 2016 release, this is certainly good news.

But the question is, what miniscule changes will they offer us in this new package. This is starting to look like a cheap gimmick. Anybody who got the 2016 release now have to decide whether to get this new edition because of a new remaster or 10 seconds of "never before released orchestral fade-in"... Or something like that.

But with all that said, my opinion about the music doesn't change a bit. I still love this classic soundtrack, which is vintage John Williams!

Wait. Was there any difference between the 20th Anniversary Edition of the expanded A.I. and the regular expanded A.I.? 

I thought it was the exact same content...

The official 20th Anniversary issue is the same program as the previous set. It's just that they used the wrong master for disc 1&3 which has alternate versions and a few cues which aren't on the actual Program. They had to repress and delete that stock when they realised the error. But by that time many copies had shipped out. You will have to dig up the AI threads to get the full details. 

Selfishly, it's tough when a new release of an older score you already own is improved just barely enough to possibly justify the purchase. Either you skip it and miss out on stuff you kinda want, or you spend the money for a product that's mostly redundant.

But...

If there's demand for an OOP title and there's an opportunity for a label to modestly improve it for a new release, I think it's absolutely the right choice for them to do so. I like the music being available for those who want to buy it, and it might as well be in the best form it can be.

Anyway, once we learn specifics with the new JP set, I highly doubt I'll be able to justify the purchase. The JP/TLW box set is fantastic and I frankly don't see myself ever needing another release of either score. But again, I'm happy for those who missed the box set.

It would be nice to have a voucher or coupon from the labels if you bought the old release or something. 

Also, if they dont use the best material for mastering the cd, they shouldnt try so announce it as great sounding, pristine quality, never sounded better, etc…. So we know there might an upgrade in the future.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I don't want Matessino to focus his attention on education, healthcare, wars, economy, etc. I want him fully focused on expanding every single score John Williams has written/will write….

…twice.

im sure the future release of the lost world will have corporate helicopters separate from fire at camp as it should be….

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

I kind of agree with that. I'm a bit pissed off the "ultimate" box set we bought 5 years ago is already surpassed by a better version.  The fact they say "improved" might be annoying enough to buy it again even If I don't feel like it .Superman might have been warranted but they had the material to make JP the final version 5 years ago.

It might be the case that LLL is contractually obliged to change something in the program and not to sell it again one to one same. I remember that discussion around a possible re-release of Jaws.

Jurassic Park was already in the Box with TLW the perfect edition.

I am not sure, but for TLW it might be an interesting extension to have the film edits in addition which contained much more of the main theme, even if it weren't additional recordings. 

But on the other hand, maybe not. The TLW edition is quite perfect, too.