Jurassic Park 2-CD (La-La Land) - 5th Of July 2022

crocodile

Maybe they will rerelease the two first Jurassic Park scores with a new remaster/remix of all tracks? They used the album masters last time, resulting in a few volume differences (which were most noticeable in the expanded "Rescuing Sarah").

Curious to see what will be new for this release. (And I also feel this should be forever in-print, so well done that they're reissuing this score.)

1 hour ago, Amer said:

The official 20th Anniversary issue is the same program as the previous set. It's just that they used the wrong master for disc 1&3 which has alternate versions and a few cues which aren't on the actual Program. They had to repress and delete that stock when they realised the error. But by that time many copies had shipped out. You will have to dig up the AI threads to get the full details. 

Ah okay. But you gotta be a sound engineer to notice that kind of an error... 

Anyway, I'm not that OCD. I'm perfectly happy with the original AI set from LLL.

3 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

I find really sad to see so much people complaining about those reissues. I get it that people are still expecting unreleased or never expanded scores but to see our to speciality labels predicting those bashing on such releases (quoting LLL "In the mean time, commence with the complaints in 3,2,..." and Intrada jocking about "Another expansion? Why couldn't they release something entirely new that if it was easy to release would have been released already?") really show how much spoiled we are.

We should be grateful to them to always do their best to bring light to our beloved scores, they are not big corporation trying to get richier each month on our backs with poorly made products. There is love and passion in their works and clearly no wish to disrespect their fans

Nobody's really complaining...

People are just wondering what the new improvements are. Not complaining, but more puzzled and confused.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

You need to be a sound engineer to notice 5 new cues that weren't included on a previous release?

We're talking about A.I. here! The 20th anniversary re-issue contains the exact same content as the original release.

35 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Film studios are a strange bunch.

Indeed. Quite the contrast between attitudes at Universal (happy to licence out a blockbuster score as a tie-in for the new film) and EON with the Bond scores (refusing to license catalog Bond expansions in case it 'confused' the market with a new film).

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I am referring to A.I.

The first pressing of the reissue had 4 or 5 tracks included that weren't on the original 3CD set released in 2015. They accidentally sent the wrong master to the manufacturer (and it had several tracks Williams had, presumably, asked to be removed).

Again, we're talking about the differences between the original 2015 release and the 2021 (correct) re-issue... There is no difference. What they accidentally included and later removed is not of any concern. I don't need to have that, couldn't care less about that.

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Again, we're talking about the differences between the original 2015 release and the 2021 (correct) re-issue... There is no difference. What they accidentally included and later removed is not of any concern. I don't need to have that, couldn't care less about that.

I can't believe you don't care about that:

On 16/07/2021 at 2:39 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Will be passing on this one. Especially as I paid over the odds for the boxset.  Still hoping for something a bit more exciting to be released this year. Like The Patriot expanded or something. It might just be The Fabelmans later this year that's going to get the heart pounding!

I don’t mind remasters with upgraded sound… I don’t mind keeping a score like Jurassic Park in print… I also don’t mind reissues where the producers add something extra to “spice up” an old product…

But the JP box came out quite recently, and according to the press release at the time it was “meticulously produced, edited and mastered by Mike Matessino, in consultation with the composer, director and producers” with the promise that the end product was “a worthy, definitive presentation“.

All details still withstanding, it might just be a straight up reissue… But if it’s not, I’m fooling myself to think that any company won’t take a chance to turn a profit if they have one. “Definitive” is only definitive until it no longer is, right?

Even LLL seems to be aware that they’re breaking some kind of unwritten customer promise by writing in the official teaser, “commence with the complaints in 3,2,....“ which comes across as a cheap excuse, like a kid who’s gone into the cookie jar and is anxiously urging his parents to give him his punishment already. At least own up to it, own what you are and what you do: you’re a business, you sell stuff - no excuse needed. If this is a product worth while - for old and new customers alike - there’d be no need for complaints from anyone, no?

Depending on the details of this new edition, I might buy it, and I might not.

Let’s wait and see, shall we.

I think they work backwards… they should have released the standalone scores first and then the ultimate remastered deluxe edition now with fancy package.

and with the price increases everywhere… i spent 60-70 € something on the old version and now this 2-cd set could cost me 45€

Anyway… seriously at least i would have waited to release this june 10th 2023. The 30th anniversary….

@bigjimwilson

Yeah, because that’s what any one here has said. “Never release JP or any other score ever again…” “I want my set to remain scarce…”

Did you read and understand what I wrote?

Not in any of the posts in this thread - no matter the opinion - do I interpret what you do. Most of us are collecting JW’s stuff for the love of his music, not for second hand value. And I doubt any hardcore fan would want to limit the works of JW to new fans. Where do you get this stuff from? This is JWfan. I read a lot of love in every post here - positive or negative. People might have different opinions, but they write with love.

Sad if you can not see it.

The rant about medicine? How is that any different from what I wrote that “a business will sell stuff”. It seems we agree with each other?

You seem more interested in polemic writing rather than actually responding to anything I actually wrote. Your response is completely disconnected from my last post. 

Please read my previous post again, and if you have anything to say that is actually a sensible response to anything I wrote, I’d be happy to discuss with you.

But if not, I’d rather leave your extreme conclusions to your own.

2 minutes ago, rough cut said:

You seem more interested in polemic writing rather than actually responding to anything I actually wrote. Your response is completely disconnected from my last post. 

I wasn't even directly responding to your post. I just said "some of you guys." Its a general observation. Sorry if I touched a nerve. 

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

It has sold many copies due to the success of the movie, yes. But trust me, hardly anybody has read it. Relatively speaking. Maybe 30% of the copies sold have been read from cover to cover. If that.

Even if only 3.6 million of those 12 million Americans read the book (presumably the other 8.4 million used it to level out wobbly tables), that’s still a tremendous amount of people to read a book!  And that number isn’t counting people who took the book out of the library, or people outside of America, maybe 30% of whom read the books they bought and the other 70% built the Great Pyramid out of unread copies of JP and Congo.

I’ve read the book twice and it wasn’t very good either time!

18 hours ago, rough cut said:

If this is some minor bullshit upgrade, like a slightly different take on a track, or that some tracks were mastered from a better source, I’d say it borders on being disrespectful to the fans who bought the box set.

It’s not catering to a market - it’s abusing a loyal fan base.

18 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Calm down. They're not forcing you to buy it.

His comment was pure satire though, wasn't it?

With Remastered probably meaning to use a Better source then could Expanded mean some mysterious alternate cues or something? :P

Still, chill out if you have the boxset, unless until new details are out. There is no need to be so dramatic over technically just a presumed plain rerelease.

I'm inclined to think it's the complete score on disc 1 + remastered OST and source music on disc 2.

Film Score: 77 minutes.

OST: 71 minutes.

Source: 2 minutes

The OST has exclusive tracks that wouldn't be in the film assembly (End Credits, Welcome to Jurassic Park non-film version, and various combo tracks).

The existing streaming version of the OST uses incorrect takes in places, which Mike discusses in the podcast @Chewy posted. So it makes sense for him to recreate that assembly using the correct takes.

The bonus tracks from the 20th anniversary edition won't fit unless Stalling Around is moved to the end of disc 1 (it would barely fit, just a few seconds under 80 minutes).

47 minutes ago, Amer said:

The problem is some of us have OCD complex. So if we find out that this new one is slightly better then last one THEN we have to get it. :D

Exactly!

But I don't count myself among those. There will be some minor improvements, obviously, as LLL clearly stated as much (remastered, a few seconds added here and there, differently mixed, etc.) but I will most likely not get this edition for once. 

Some people are not just OCD but borderline obsessive about it... It's unhealthy. They aren't even enjoying the music anymore, I bet. They spend all their time obsessing and nitpicking and spreading bad mood.

21 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I just realized what could be one difference. Journey to the Island. The middle and end portion of the fanfare is slightly different in the film compared to the 2016 release and original album. I can’t give the exact time stamp at the moment, but it is from the shot of the helicopter descending the water fall to the moment the jeeps pull up when they land. 

18 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

On July 5 you will decide if this new edition will be something on which you want to spend your hard-earned money or not. Don't jump to any conclusions too early. As others have already pointed out, the JPJW Collection was one of LLL's all-time best-sellers and it makes sense to have it back in print while also offering a few improvements.

FYI, there won't be a specific podcast about it on The Legacy of JW for the time being.

Considering that @Jay liked my observation about Journey to the Island on this new reissue, and you, @TownerFan, mentioned this release offers a few improvements, I’m sold. I cannot wait to get this. Now, I will be absolutely surprised if The Lost World also gets a remastered stand-alone reissue, since I don’t know what could possibly be improved with that. Either way, it is a win-win, especially for those who missed out on The John Williams Jurassic Park Soundtrack Collection. 

57 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Now, I will be absolutely surprised if The Lost World also gets a remastered stand-alone reissue, since I don’t know what could possibly be improved with that.

There's a few things that could be added to TLW, even if the existing release is one of my all-time favourites.

I'd love to hear those percussion only tracks. Someone posted an audio recording from Universal Studios of those and I've wanted them ever since (they used to play the discrete percussion recordings on the speakers through the park).

Plus obviously the film version of Ripples, even if it was created editorially. It's almost impossible to recreate it using the LLL due to that synth overlay in the middle (which clearly the music editor was able to remove, as he had the raw orchestral recordings). I'm guessing Mike would have access to the recording without synth?

There's a verrrrry slight editing bug in The Raptors Appear, where two different performance edits were combined. Forget the time stamp but it's barely noticeable (though noticeable enough to bug me, after 100 listens :lol:).

And I'm still curious about that whistling sound that plays in the film version of Corporate Helicopters (maybe added by the SFX team, or an unreleased sweetener?)

I wonder whether better sources for The Lost World might ever surface? I might be misremembering but weren't first generation analogue sources damaged beyond repair?

Karol

I don't understand why people don't wait until we have more information on the set before going off the rails and nixing it altogether. 

If this set has something extra on the 2016 release, I'll consider picking it up, but for the time being I'm just glad that it's back in print and people who missed out will be able to pick it up!

Counting down until the first screencaps of the new tracks rendered in an audio spectrometer program land in this thread, followed by complaints about differences in frequencies that are literally inaudible and only perceptible due to said software. It’s JWFan OCD at its most entertaining :lurk:

I see it this way: they do two Horner archival releases, and alongside them reissure a score where most of the hard work and remastering has already been done and there is clearly more demand, i.e. a dependendable revenue stream.

And if as a result they spark revised interest in the franchise which paves the way for others in the series, even better.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

And if as a result they spark revised interest in the franchise which paves the way for others in the series, even better.

Very true. And having a Jurassic Park reissue in stock makes good business sense if, hypothetically, they expand Jurassic Park 3 later in the year (because new fans are likely to purchase an expanded JP1 at the same time, if available).

Would be cool to see the art style continue with each film.

TLW could have the same cover in yellow with the jagged/rocky style from that film's logo. JP3 could be red with a metallic texture and the Spinosaurus instead of T-Rex, Jurassic World could be blue, etc.

Might be a pipe dream but could a Giacchino Jurassic World box be on the cards? Two of those scores were London recordings so only the first has AFM issues (and we know from Star Trek that this isn't necessarily a barrier for expansions).