Jurassic Park 2-CD (La-La Land) - 5th Of July 2022

crocodile

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

JURASSIC PARK: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
LLLCD 1593
Music by John Williams
Limited Edition of 5000 Units

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING JULY 5

Order yours from www.lalalandrecords.com starting 12 noon (pst) on 7/5.

JP_RI_Web.jpg

La-La Land Records, Universal Studios and Amblin Entertainment, Universal Music Group and Geffen Records present JURASSIC PARK, a limited 2-CD re-issue presentation of maestro John Williams’ (JAWS, STAR WARS, SCHINDLER’S LIST) original motion picture scores to the 1993 blockbuster JURASSIC PARK starring Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum and directed by Steven Spielberg. Williams’ monumental JURASSIC PARK score teems with thematic orchestral wonder and is celebrated as one of the composer’s most accomplished works. Produced, edited and mastered by Mike Matessino, (with fresh outputs of the 192k/24 bit master files utilized in our 2016 collection) this re-issue utilizes that material to re-create the original 1993 soundtrack album. This is featured on Disc 2 and is followed by the source music track “Stalling Around” (the composer’s homage to classic Warner Bros. cartoon music for Jurassic’s “Mr. DNA” sequence). Disc 1 showcases the entire main Score Presentation, which now includes, for the first time, the performances and mixes of “Journey To the Island” and “Dennis Steals The Embryo” as heard in the film. The 28-page CD booklet features liner notes by Matessino (adapted from our 2016 collection) and the new art design is by Jim Titus. This is a limited edition of 5000 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

SCORE PRESENTATION
1 Opening Titles :37
2 Incident at Isla Nublar (Film Version) 2:23
3 The Encased Mosquito 1:16
4 Entrance of Mr. Hammond 1:09
5 Journey to the Island (Film Version) 8:54
6 Hatching Baby Raptor (Film Version) 2:04
7 You Bred Raptors? :40
8 The History Lesson (Film Version) 1:33
9 Jurassic Park Gate 2:05
10 Goat Bait 2:26
11 The Saboteur :47
12 Ailing Triceratops 2:37
13 The Coming Storm (Film Version) 1:26
14 Dennis Steals the Embryo (Film Version) 5:04
15 Race to the Dock 1:18
16 The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase 4:59
17 A Tree for My Bed 2:13
18 Remembering Petticoat Lane 2:49
19 My Friend, the Brachiosaurus(Film Version) 1:51
20 Life Finds a Way 1:27
21 System Ready :50
22 To the Maintenance Shed 4:13
23 High Wire Stunts 4:10
24 Hungry Raptor 2:10
25 The Raptor Attack 2:50
26 T-Rex Rescue and Finale 7:43
27 Welcome to Jurassic Park (Film Version) 7:58
Total Time Disc 1: 77:44

CD 2
1993 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

1 Opening Titles :36
2 Theme From Jurassic Park 3:27
3 Incident at Isla Nublar 5:22
4 Journey to the Island 8:55
5 The Raptor Attack 2:50
6 Hatching Baby Raptor 3:22
7 Welcome to Jurassic Park 7:57
8 My Friend, the Brachiosaurus 4:18
9 Dennis Steals the Embryo 5:03
10 A Tree for My Bed 2:13
11 High Wire Stunts 4:10
12 Remembering Petticoat Lane 2:49
13 Jurassic Park Gate 2:05
14 Eye to Eye 6:35
15 T-Rex Rescue and Finale 7:43
16 End Credits 3:27

BONUS
17 Stalling Around 2:41
Total Time Disc 2: 73:35

This is a CD format release.

Exclusive new tracks highlighted in green. The other selling point is a rebuilt OST, created using the same high-res transfers from 2016. I never realised the existing versions of Journey to the Island and Dennis Steals the Embryo didn't fully utilize the film takes. Does anyone know what sections use alternate takes in the film?

This is what I've always thought of as the perfect 2CD program. Two nicely rounded listens. On the box set the problem really is Disc 2 that has the main theme repeated countless times at the end.

Wouldn't be surprised if Williams just preferred the album takes and didn't think it necessary to include film versions as well (due to the repetition it would create at the end of the assembly).

Doesn't explain why he ticked off the ever-so-slightly different film version of Welcome to Jurassic Park though. Guess it just made a good closing track?

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

JP was one of my first JW CDs

Second.

(and also among the first CDs I bought ever).

Third.

I bought it sometime in the mid-nineties, and teenager-me played it to death.

I'll wait for what people report once they get the new release, but for now, I think I can skip it.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

This is what I've always thought of as the perfect 2CD program. Two nicely rounded listens. On the box set the problem really is Disc 2 that has the main theme repeated countless times at the end.

The bonus section of the 2016 set wasn't my favourite either. The film version of 'Welcome to...' and Theme from Jurassic Park felt a bit unneeded to me. I really don't need to listen to the former twice in close succession, and I've never really felt the latter needed a dedicated piece given how much the theme is featured elsewhere in the score.

It means that however brilliant a job MM/LLL have done with the set, there is usually something Williams has meddled with in the spirit of trying to improve playability, and he usually achieves the exact opposite :rolleyes:

In terms of the OST, take Theme from Jurassic Park, Journey...Welcome to... and End Credits and it feels like Williams was trying to make an album where the action/dramatic elements of the score didn't overcome the album. To my mind, this was industrial overthinking in terms of album production, and means that you've been hit over the head with the main theme by the end, and have missed a number of cues that add some variety.

The TLW bonus section does a much better job - my issues with that being purely personal - I don't like the alternate opening for the concert piece, nor the intended end credits, but the way they included those was done well.

The only part I'd disagree with is that the album is varied, because Williams left off a lot of shorter cues which for me add some colour. I think that The Coming Storm and The History Lesson could've taken the place of perhaps Eye to Eye.

Sure, I too would probably have swapped the first half of Eye to Eye (aka Goat Bait) with The History Lesson on the original album, if it would have depended on me. Anyway, I think this is really talking about uninfluential minutiae when it comes to the overall picture. Everyone has preferences, including composers, but we live in an era where we have access to all the music for most of the things. I just enjoy what I have without worrying too much about what this or that could or should have been.

I would likely allow others to enjoy my copy, but Journey is one of the best tracks in film history.  Any differences, no matter how small, could be important to me.

It's a great track but I was never aware of any differences. I still don't know what's different about Welcome to...

Oddly this isn't a score where I feel I must have the exact takes used in the film - I just want the entire score.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Out of interest, how much was the 4-disc set?

$59.98

https://lalalandrecords.com/john-williams-jurassic-park-collection-the-limited-edition-4-cd-set/

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

I never realised the existing versions of Journey to the Island and Dennis Steals the Embryo didn't fully utilize the film takes. Does anyone know what sections use alternate takes in the film?

On 01/07/2022 at 1:39 PM, JohnnyD said:

I just realized what could be one difference. Journey to the Island. The middle and end portion of the fanfare is slightly different in the film compared to the 2016 release and original album. I can’t give the exact time stamp at the moment, but it is from the shot of the helicopter descending the water fall to the moment the jeeps pull up when they land. 

The mixing of the shakuhachi flute in the film version of Dennis is very different too. I assume that's the main difference in this new film version @Jay?

There's also a lot more weird jungle sounds, though they might be SFX.

Well, at least one positive came out of my being sick and having to stay home and not go to work today: I’ll be able to order this immediately at 3 PM EST.

Hey! I missed out on the original boxset back when it came out.

Now I can own a nice expansion of Jurassic Park at a nice price. Is there any reason to still pursue the other boxset (besides The Lost World, obviously). Is there anything on the old release of Jurassic Park that is not on this one?

32 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Is there anything on the old release of Jurassic Park that is not on this one?

Nope, there doesn't seem to be anything!

20 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Hoping that the synth "groaning" at 2:50 in this scene is also emphasized in the new mix/version

Yeah I thought that was missing in the album mix! It sounds more like music than SFX to me.

Oh great Oracle, tell me if all the cues have been remixed from the multitracks for this new release, or if just some cues have been reworked/added.

There would be no reason to remix from the original multitrack - Shawn Murphy's 1993 stereo mixes are fantastic!

19 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Yeah I thought that was missing in the album mix! It sounds more like music than SFX to me.

You can hear it at around 2:48 in the album mix, it's just further in the background

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

There would be no reason to remix from the original multitrack - Shawn Murphy's 1993 stereo mixes are fantastic!

So you are telling me LLL wants us to rebuy this 2-CD set for 3 reworked tracks, that's it?

A bit like what they did for Clear and Present Danger?

So I think my new rule of buying from LLL wil no be to wait one month before ordering, but to wait for the 2nd edition of any expansion! :P

Of course I can't do that for John Williams, but I seriously think I'll do it for all non-Williams new releases.

Heh I didn't even realize that this isn't yet on sale on LLL site since I preordered my copy at the Music Box Records, which had it available this morning.  Although it will probably take 2-3 weeks before I get my hands on it. :P 

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

They could have released the same identical discs as before, but instead Mike and I spent a bunch of time together to make this as comprehensive as possible.

Curious about this. I thought the AFM stipulated a 5000 quantity limit on expansions, meaning any reissue required a tracklist change?

Was it sufficient enough (in the AFM's eyes) that the score was being released solo and not in a collection with TLW, to allow another 5000 units?

Which again begs the question: why are Intrada gutting the tracklist of Jaws to reissue that score, when LLL are adding music to reissue Jurassic Park and avoid the AFM 5K limit?

8 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Still waiting for that reissue by the way...

Fingers crossed someone turned around and said, "hey, there might be a smarter way to reissue Jaws than removing half the album."

Might be the perfect ammunition to convince JW to include the unreleased source music nixed from the first expansion. Seems like adding a few extra tracks is sufficient enough for the AFM to grant 5000 more units.

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nobody is forcing anybody to rebuy anything.

A popular title sold out, and is now back in print for anyone who missed out to get a chance to own.

They could have released the same identical discs as before, but instead Mike and I spent a bunch of time together to make this as comprehensive as possible.  Would you have preferred these film versions sat unreleased forever instead?

You should spend more time with Mike to write a book about every twist and turn of the making of the Harry Potter set (which should include a chapter with recording dates of every cue as well).