Jurassic Park 2-CD (La-La Land) - 5th Of July 2022

crocodile

15 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Suddenly, a fan base of self obsessed OCD soundtrack nerds is more concerned about future fans’ collections rather than their own… hahaha, not likely. 

I simply view it as more people who get into buying them (even if it's only JW) the more releases we get from him and other composers, and faster, from these labels.

However naive it may be.

But in 2008 I could careless about any of this.  And now here I am.  We should hope for more fans of these scores.

This really seems to be a lovely release.
Possibly, it represents how every expanded score is supposed to be released.

The only issue I have got is that it makes the 2016 look bad.
For 6 years we all were convinced the 4CD set as the definitive presentation: today that world has changed forever.
The 1993 JP was the first CD I ever bought. I knew it wasn't complete but I didn't care (and I didn't have any other option), I played that CD hundreds of times and loved it and still love it.
When the HD "digital" edition was released around 10 years ago, with 4 extra tracks, I was aware that it wouldn't be a definitive edition, but I was thrilled to hear previously unreleased tracks, as well as HD audio quality of all the album.
The 2016 was welcomed by all of us as the definitive edition, like others we had in the recent years (Close Encounters, E.T., etc.).
Today we see this new, brilliant release, great for everyone, either old fans or new ones; and I agree specialty labels need to make money to survive and continue to provide great productions. However, it also makes me sad, and possibly worried: definitive editions sometimes are not really so.
At least it really seems impossible to improve this new release in a few years...

23 minutes ago, ciarlese said:

For 6 years we all were convinced the 4CD set as the definitive presentation: today that world has changed forever.

For 6 years we knew that the JP boxset was complementary to the OSTs, and was not meant to replace them.

Now this new release will not necessarily make our OSTs obsolete... as new mixes... are new mixes and they always introduce "little" differences. But we all are aware of that, no?

In other words, don't throw your 1993 original CD to the bin...

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Buy it or not… Judge it a minor correction or not… But why is thee so much statement of the obvious? “Glad that it is in print for future generations.”

I think there is an unnecessary need for politically correctness in every other post stating their “happiness that JP stays in print for future fans”… blah blah blah…

Suddenly, a fan base of self obsessed OCD soundtrack nerds is more concerned about future fans’ collections rather than their own… hahaha, not likely. 

I do understand that the online zeitgeist compels us not to “offend anyone” but it makes a sad forum when you have to post the obvious in every post you make just not to make “enemies”.

Well, many JWfaners, including myself, genuinely want JW to have as good as a legacy going forward as possible. While minor and small, if some people get this soundtrack who otherwise would not have and proceed to carry JW's torch, great.

I am also very happy with the LTP offerings of JW's scores for the same reason.  I have not been to one and likely never will, given that the offerings are nowhere close to where I live and likely will never be, but I am glad they exist "for the cause," so to speak.  

15 hours ago, Potterhead said:

Anything new from the 2016 version ?

The correct film versions of Journey To The Island and Dennis Steals The Embryo, and a newly built remaster of the original album program 

On 03/07/2022 at 11:42 PM, Brando said:

In the final film mix, what is tracked into 'T-Rex Rescue and Finale'? Is it 'Journey to the Island' or is it that same section from 'Welcome to Jurassic Park'? Anytime this is brought up everyone says that its Journey but when I matched this up to the films audio to check this, Journey didn't quite line up and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

If anyone else is interested, I got an answer on this myself and from someone else from looking at the films audio rip. Its not 'Journey to the Island' thats tracked. 1:24 of 'Journey' has a cymbal crash thats not heard in the film as the Rex grabs the Raptor. 4:36 of 'Welcome to Jurassic Park (Film Version)' is what you're hearing.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

Or you could recreate it yourself from the LLL and leave copies for those who missed out on it?

Can confirm. I remade all the OST and 20th Anniversary Edition edits years ago just so I’d have every version of every cue/track with the same mastering. Most of the edits were super easy to replicate too.

I didn’t expect to get this new release, but on a whim I listed my 2016 set on eBay a few days ago with an asking price of $200, just to see if it would sell. Someone bought within 6 hours.

As a result, I can now say… ordered! Looking forward to TLW and hopefully JP3. Also, I love that the main program is completely contained on the first disc now.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

The OST tracks "Incident At Isla Nublar", "Hatching Baby Raptor", "My Friend, The Brachiosaurus", "Eye To Eye", and "End Credits" cannot be rebuilt without using audio-editing software, which is not something everyone has / knows how to use.

This is Bespin who already has 5 editions of JP and has done LP restorations, though. I personally estimate matching the elements to the original would take 5 minutes purely visually, then finetuning the transitions another 5-10, to a personal edit "well this is good enough for me" level.

So, does anyone know what is the difference between the film versions of those 2 cues and the versions that were in the previous release?

Is it a different mix? or there is different music too?

32 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

So, does anyone know what is the difference between the film versions of those 2 cues and the versions that were in the previous release?

Different takes. The only sample up so far is for the first ~minute of "Journey to the Island". The fanfare is a different recording (and about 1-2 seconds shorter than the 2016 version). After the fanfare the rest of the sample syncs up perfectly to the 2016 track (meaning the latter section was already from the film take/s).

7 hours ago, Brando said:

If anyone else is interested, I got an answer on this myself and from someone else from looking at the films audio rip. Its not 'Journey to the Island' thats tracked. 1:24 of 'Journey' has a cymbal crash thats not heard in the film as the Rex grabs the Raptor. 4:36 of 'Welcome to Jurassic Park (Film Version)' is what you're hearing.

Great, now I have to redo my edit :P But thanks for investigating.

6 hours ago, Holko said:

This is Bespin who already has 5 editions of JP and has done LP restorations,

Nobody asks me for my LP restorations, but you can! I've restored several JW's rare LPs with the help of @Miguel Andrade and others.

On 05/07/2022 at 2:30 AM, Quppa said:

That said, https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html is an evergreen explanation of why high-resolution audio is at best a waste of space when it comes to playback.

The engineer who wrote that article also made a video that further explains this. It's REALLY interesting, very easy to follow. It sure debunked a lot of miths I thought were true regarding the "disadvantages" of digital audio.

Xiph.Org Video Presentations: Digital Show & Tell

6 hours ago, John Chambers said:

So are Journey to the Island and Dennis Steals The Embryo on the 2016 version essentially the same as the album versions of them on this release?

Exactly right, yes!

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

On 01/07/2022 at 1:39 PM, JohnnyD said:

I just realized what could be one difference. Journey to the Island. The middle and end portion of the fanfare is slightly different in the film compared to the 2016 release and original album. I can’t give the exact time stamp at the moment, but it is from the shot of the helicopter descending the water fall to the moment the jeeps pull up when they land. 

On 05/07/2022 at 8:05 AM, Jay said:

If you listen carefully to any release of Dennis Steals The Embryo with headphones, you will observe that the stereo field is off compared to the rest of the score.

The rest of the score has a normal orchestral balance - violins / horns on the left, low strings / trombones on the right, etc.  But the album mix of Dennis Steals The Embryo has almost all the orchestral elements on the right channel.  The synth element is completely fine, it's only the orchestra that's affected.

If you pay attention to the cue in the movie itself, the orchestral track is balanced normally there.

18 hours ago, Holko said:

Journey to the Island's one features the different segment, or one of them - there's a part in the island theme in the album take where it kinda slows down, it doesn't in this one, also the transition to the jeep segment's snappier!

Listening to the sample of the film version of "Journey to the Island" and closely comparing it to the album take, I do think JW was correct in his choice for which should go on the OST.  The trumpets have a slightly stronger performance on the album take IMO.  But the difference is so slight, speaking only personally, I don't feel the need to purchase this reissue just for that.  Happy its available and in print of course.

Yeah, in some fragments they're almost close to flubs. I will have to combine the two somehow.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's when 3M2 The Dinosaurs ends and 3M2A The Entrance Of The Park begins, basically when it segues from the glory of the dinosaurs scene to the jeeps traveling to the visitor center.  On the album version Johnny made in 1993, they are overlapped so closely, you are still revealing in the majesty of the dinosaur music when it fairly abruptly jumps to the jeep-traveling music.  But in the film itself, and therefore in the new main program, more of the recorded opening of 3M2A is heard before the fast part of the cue begins.  It sounds sooooooooo much better this way!  I love it so much.

So interesting! I noticed this a few days ago but figured it was just a result of a reel change, and the album version reflected JW's intended overlap between 3M2 and 3M2A.

Very cool to hear the new track reflects the film now (at least the way the 4K version presents that transition, anyway). It's certainly a big difference from the album version I'd never really noticed until isolating the film score.

It's one of those things where the difference is technically only a second or two, but it makes all the difference in how the music flows, at least to me!

That is awesome! As much as I love the album version of Journey to the Island, I’ve always preferred the film version, and now it is available in all its glory. Those differences in performance and little touches really add to the whole thing. I can’t describe it. It captures the moment you first experienced it. 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's one of those things where the difference is technically only a second or two, but it makes all the difference in how the music flows, at least to me!

For me too. I always loved the music when they first enter the visitor center and we see those huge dinosaurs skeletons. Good to know it's musically better linked with the previous cue.

26 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

What is the difference between "Welcome to Jurassic Park" film version and album version?

I can't find my notes at the moment but it's basically different edit points between takes

Once I learned how to reconfigure OST albums into chronological order, I did so with Jurassic Park and never looked back.

I do feel that OST albums should be preserved on expansions whenever it is reasonable to do so, but this particular OST configuration Williams put together I still feel misses the mark, especially since the complete score is not that much longer and flows amazingly well in chronological sequence - though it's the exact repetitions of 2 entire cues that really sours my pickle.  I wish "Theme From Jurassic Park" was entirely newly recorded instead of just a new intro and outro pasted onto the film cue!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The best part of the film version of Journey To The Island has not been mentioned in this thread yet, I do not believe.

It's later in the scene (so not in the sample), and I can't find a clip on youtube to embed.

It's when 3M2 The Dinosaurs ends and 3M2A The Entrance Of The Park begins, basically when it segues from the glory of the dinosaurs scene to the jeeps traveling to the visitor center.  On the album version Johnny made in 1993, they are overlapped so closely, you are still revealing in the majesty of the dinosaur music when it fairly abruptly jumps to the jeep-traveling music.  But in the film itself, and therefore in the new main program, more of the recorded opening of 3M2A is heard before the fast part of the cue begins.  It sounds sooooooooo much better this way!  I love it so much.

But yes, for the helicopter landing portion of the cue, I think it is very likely that he chose a take for the album that was performed the best, and the take that went into the film was simply the one timed to the sync points the best, even though it was not performed as well (the many sound effects at that point masking any performance issues).

It's even possible that the album take of the helicopter landing was the film take at some point, and then GL re-edited the scene and they plopped in another take that fit the new timing rather then editing the take that had been in there.  I have no idea, just mentioning a possibility.

YES!!!!!! I was really really hoping this was a change but I was like 'it's 2 seconds(analyzed from the film rip, so its about 2 seconds exactly), they would just keep it the same. This makes my OCD very happy.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Once I learned how to reconfigure OST albums into chronological order, I did so with Jurassic Park and never looked back.

I do feel that OST albums should be preserved on expansions whenever it is reasonable to do so, but this particular OST configuration Williams put together I still feel misses the mark, especially since the complete score is not that much longer and flows amazingly well in chronological sequence - though it's the exact repetitions of 2 entire cues that really does it for me.  I wish "Theme From Jurassic Park" was entirely newly recorded instead of just a new intro and outro pasted onto the film cue!

I completely agree. If this were any other score assembled this way, I’d likely be exactly the same. In this instance though, the OST is burned into my mind from nonstop play as a kid. I’m certainly not arguing the OST is the superior arrangement (though I do love good OSTs), but rather that this specific OST (warts and all) is very personally special to me. 

Completely understandable - I still listen to the Wrath of Khan OST all the time!

The OST is nostalgically significant for me in the same sense as the first Potter album, the first LotR album and others - they all make some very questionable decisions but they were still my first exposure to film music.

But in the majority of cases, once the expansion comes out I really don't care for the OSTs musically as their shortcomings are made so obvious.

The Jurassic Park 1993 album is one of the first CDs of John Wiliams I purchased at the time of its release. At this time, my film music collection was made of about 7 CDs.

It was much later that I fell into the hell of compulsive CD buying.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

You've broken the fence on which I was sitting.  I think I know what you mean.  I had to edit Close Encounters of the Third Kind so that the slight pause between Contact and End Titles was as it is in the film.  Not discrete as they are on the LLL CD, but not as abruptly edited as on the OST.

This bit of transition and music in JP is one of my favorite moments of the score.

@Jay Can you confirm that the main program uses the same master as the 2016 edition (except the 2 new tracks obviously)? I remember when Mike retouched Superman IV for its standalone release he said it was pretty much the same, except for some minor "esoteric differences" or something like that and I just want to make sure that isn't the case here. If it's even a slightly different master, I'll probably want to redo the edits I replicated from the 20th Anniversary Edition because, you know, score collector OCD.