Jurassic Park 2-CD (La-La Land) - 5th Of July 2022

crocodile

Not to mention that the cue as composed and conducted syncs up perfectly with the film and fits the scene quite well. I understand why the section from the End Credits was tracked into that scene, though. Either way works perfect for me, though.

That's why Spielberg is a genius!

What a perfect ending he created ( and he doesn't get a writing credit😉).

Iirc in the book they injected poison into eggs and roll it to the raptors who promptly eat them and die😒

2 hours ago, Brando said:

JP has had at least 3(including the final film version)versions of the Raptors getting taken out. The first one, which I believe was the one that stayed in the longest was Grant using the controls of the T Rex skeleton to attack and kill the raptors. Then at some point i read that there was an idea of Hammond walking and shooting the Raptors. And then of course during filming SS felt the audience would be cheated if we didn’t see the Rex again. So that’s what they filmed and was apart of the locked cut that SS put together before leaving for Poland.

Personally, I've always felt cheated by the T-Rex ending. It's the ultimate surprise Deus ex machina, coming out of nowhere and without any proper buildup and foreshadowing, just like the edited soundtrack cue.

IMDb, in perhaps its absurdest trivia entry, claims (or used to claim) that it was Williams's own idea to have the T-Rex be the saviour. Which is even more funny considering the music is tracked.

17 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

That's why Spielberg is a genius!

What a perfect ending he created ( and he doesn't get a writing credit😉).

Iirc in the book they injected poison into eggs and roll it to the raptors who promptly eat them and die😒

At least the Raptors that followed Grant into that room, yes. The Navy takes care of the rest

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Personally, I've always felt cheated by the T-Rex ending. It's the ultimate surprise Deus ex machina, coming out of nowhere and without any proper buildup and foreshadowing, just like the edited soundtrack cue.

IMDb, in perhaps its absurdest trivia entry, claims (or used to claim) that it was Williams's own idea to have the T-Rex be the saviour. Which is even more funny considering the music is tracked.

Hahaha, I need to see if its still up

27 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

At least the book has an ending it builds towards. It may not have a climactic action moment (which in the film, as I explained above, I find anti-climactic), but as I recall, the book's big finale revelation is when they find out that the dinosaurs can change sex and are reproducing (which is a bit of a throwaway moment in the film) and leaving the island. The emotional climax comes from the character death which the film skips. And of course, the final scene of the book is the opening (if I remember correctly) of the sequel film.

6 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

That’s no digital skip/glitch. That’s just part of the recording. It’s just as it was performed and recorded. Here is an idea: just enjoy the music.

Here’s an idea — let people talk about what they want (unless they’re being rude, which Evanus wasn’t).

33 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It was probably removed, but I found the only 2 trivia bits regarding JW:Screenshot (77).png

Screenshot (78).png

Lol, "cut from the original movie".

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If you open two identical tracks (one from the 2016 release and one from the 2022 release) and invert one you can sometimes bring out some tape noise (pops, clicks, garbling). Not really anything can be done with that given they are analog tapes; plus they're not very noticeable to the average person, unless you purposely try to bring them out as I did below. I guess, you could say, it adds character to analog recordings, like how loud pops and hissing apparently "adds" to the vinyl experience. :lol:

That sounds like something melting. I like it

As silly and nonsensical that climax might be, it does give one my favorite musical thrills when that absolutely awesome "kaiju-like" fanfare steps in, just as the T-Rex defeats the last raptor, the banner falls and the dinosaur roars in triumph. It just makes my heart soar:

I love that fanfare so much I made it my ringtone. 

I can hear it too, that warm brass chord sounds slightly distorted. It's not a major issue, and I don't think it ruins the music, but neither is there anything wrong with pointing it out.

20220630_134756~3.jpg

2 hours ago, Ham Solo said:

I hear a car driving on a gravel road :lol:

1 hour ago, Romão said:

As silly and nonsensical that climax might be, it does give one my favorite musical thrills when that absolutely awesome "kaiju-like" fanfare steps in, just as the T-Rex defeats the last raptor, the banner falls and the dinosaur roars in triumph. It just makes my heart soar:

One of the most thrilling endings in.cinema history!

1 hour ago, Romão said:

One of the most thrilling endings in.cinema history!

(And, who cares if there wasn't any way the Rec could have got in!😄)

11 hours ago, Romão said:

Judged just by itself as a standalone moment, it's awesome. It's just that in the context of the film, I find it grating. But then, I have quite a few issues with the film anyway.

I’ve really been enjoying this since it arrived last week and I agree that the overall sound is even better than the 2016 release. I love the new Jim Titus packaging too, it really is stunning.

The biggest surprise for me though is how much I've been enjoying the remastered OST on disc 2 which I bought on cassette in 1993 and later on CD but hadn't ever listened to since getting the 2016 release. ‘Incident at Isla Nublar’ in particular is such a great combination of three separate cues that creates one thrilling narrative; it works really well musically and I’m glad to have it in such good quality. ‘Hatching Baby Raptor’, ‘My Friend, the Brachiosaurus’, and ‘Eye to Eye’ also work really well. I understand some people’s problems with the OST sequencing but I think the actual cue combinations work brilliantly.

I like this edition although I don't feel is such different to the previos one. The mixing is clearly different but I won't go as far as saying that is "better" in general. Is different but I can't put my finger in which is superior. 

I didn't care much for the alternate take in Journey to the Island (again, is more that Iike it as much as that part in the Album) but love those extra bits in the transition between 3m2 and 3m2A, that really make me appreciate the track. Also the Film Mix of Dennis is really good, indeed. And, sure, is far better not to have fade in into Hammond's Entrance. 

2 hours ago, John Chambers said:

‘Incident at Isla Nublar’ in particular is such a great combination of three separate cues that creates one thrilling narrative; it works really well musically and I’m glad to have it in such good quality.

There's only 2 cues in that track.

0:00-2:12 = 1M1 Incident At Isla Nublar
2:12-end = 9M1 The Falling Car

Damn about the T-Rex rescue "blip". Its noticeable and visible in the spectogram. Will there be another reissue in a few years with it corrected? ;)

Joking aside, i listened to the 2016 set, and i could swear i hear a sligth fadeout at that moment. Could have it been artifically deleted in the old set, and left in the new set because it is inherent in the recording... and Mattessino didnt want to delete any microseconds this time?

IRRC there was a smaller blip in Journey to the island in the 2016 set... and i lived with that (i thought it was my disc scratched but i heard it in other people's rips too.

On 16/07/2022 at 3:09 PM, bruce marshall said:

At what point in the track does the T-Rex rescue/ cue replacement occur?

Thanks!

The part from about 6:45 to about 7:08 is replaced in the final film with music tracked in from the end credits.  Everything else is used in the film as intended.

On 16/07/2022 at 4:48 PM, bruce marshall said:

Yes.

In .the cue " T- Rex rescue" what's the time the replacement cuts in.

JW wrote a fantastic cue but he didn't punctuate the surprise appearance of Rex in his music- which is why SS inserted the JP theme

"T-Rex Rescue and Finale" is the name of an album track that contains two cues inside it:

0:00-4:08 = 13M2    March Past The Kitchen Utensils
4:08-end = 13M3/14M1    T-Rex To The Rescue

On 17/07/2022 at 1:15 PM, bruce marshall said:

Is it possible JW scored the climactic scene with unfinished sfx?

Perhaps, the T- Rex appearance was not yet edited into the scene or only in the script at that point.

Williams knew exactly what he was scoring.  He titled the cue "T-Rex To The Rescue"!

On 17/07/2022 at 1:15 PM, bruce marshall said:

Iirc SS wasn't present at the scoring sessions

He was in Europe filming Schindler's List at the time, George Lucas finished post-production for him.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Williams knew exactly what he was scoring.  He titled the cue "T-Rex To The Rescue"!

Do you know exactly when he titled it?

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

IRRC there was a smaller blip in Journey to the island in the 2016 set... and i lived with that (i thought it was my disc scratched but i heard it in other people's rips too.

Yes @Luke Skywalker there is one strange minuscule blip or distortion at 2:29-:30 in Journey to the Island on the 2016 set on the left channel. It is also present on the OST but the mix is different so you can't really notice it (I didn't until I checked after the 2016 set came out).

Once you have heard it, you can't unhear it. :folder:

6 hours ago, Roll the Bones said:

Do you know exactly when he titled it?

No, but there's no evidence of him writing anything else with another title. 

image.png

Jurassic Park - like it's sequel The Lost World - doesn't have any significant alternates.

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Clever.

I played that at my wedding as an obscure in-joke for the Williams fans! It was either that or Debussy's En Bateau.

2 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

I played that at my wedding as an obscure in-joke for the Williams fans! It was either that or Debussy's En Bateau.

Explain the Debussy, I'm not familiar with the piece? Or was it just the serious alternative to the joke?

3 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

No, but there's no evidence of him writing anything else with another title.

So he could have started writing the cue before he wrote the title then.

On 07/07/2022 at 2:03 AM, Amer said:

@A. A. Ronhere is what @Jay posted on the FSM Jurassic Park thread:

The 2013, 2016, and 2022 editions are all made from a 2013 high-res transfer of Shawn Murphy's 1993 stereo mixes, so you shouldn't expect any difference in things like that. Each are mastered differently, and mastering is a personal preference, so you should listen to the many samples LLL provided on their website to see which you prefer between the 2016 edition and 2022 edition.

In my personal opinion the 2022 edition sounds better than the 2016 edition, and I love the new film version tracks. The added space between the "majesty of the dinosaurs" scene and the "jeeps traveling to the visitor center" scene improves the flow of that track considerably and "Dennis Steals The Embryo" is finally balanced right instead of the unusual orchestral panning the 1993 album version used.

This is a worthy upgrade in my book.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=148138&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=608#bottom

I wonder how they managed to "fix" that, since all of the aformentioned releases came from the stereo mixes.

I was wondering that too - and perhaps someone can shed any light on what stereo masters means in this case. Does it mean that they've got the entire score mixed down to stereo, but with the orchestra and synths on separate tracks?

Listening to the album. Yeah, I can definitely hear the slight difference in the final statement of the fanfare as the helicopter lands. Having heard the album track so many times it is easy to tell even for a layman like myself. :)

Also, is it just me or does the rhythmic march-like material around 7:30 enters bit later? It seems to start sooner on the other albums. Or am I hearing things?

EDIT: Oh I see I am not the only one. :)

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

Once you have heard it, you can't unhear it. :folder:

I tried all three albums and can't hear anything. :lol:

Karol

32 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Also, is it just me or does the rhythmic march-like material around 7:30 enters bit later? It seems to start sooner on the other albums. Or am I hearing things?

On 06/07/2022 at 10:48 AM, Jay said:

The best part of the film version of Journey To The Island has not been mentioned in this thread yet, I do not believe.

It's later in the scene (so not in the sample), and I can't find a clip on youtube to embed.

It's when 3M2 The Dinosaurs ends and 3M2A The Entrance Of The Park begins, basically when it segues from the glory of the dinosaurs scene to the jeeps traveling to the visitor center.  On the album version Johnny made in 1993, they are overlapped so closely, you are still revealing in the majesty of the dinosaur music when it fairly abruptly jumps to the jeep-traveling music.  But in the film itself, and therefore in the new main program, more of the recorded opening of 3M2A is heard before the fast part of the cue begins.  It sounds sooooooooo much better this way!  I love it so much.

Yes, I noticed the comments later. I stayed away from the thread until today. :)

Forgot to say I like the new mix on Dennis Steals the Embryo. There's new detail I can hear.

Karol

Having heard the entire album I can say that I do not regret getting this. It sounds slighrly better and presents the score very sensibly. I am glad to have the OST in improved sound actually. There are a lots of unique edits that I really like. 

It's probably not essential to upgrade but you shouldn't regret it either.

Karol

I'm a bit disappointed they weren't able and/or didn't want to include one or two of the unique edits made for and thus far exclusive to the 20th anniversary digital release.

8 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'm a bit disappointed they weren't able and/or didn't want to include one or two of the unique edits made for and thus far exclusive to the 20th anniversary digital release.

There was (obviously) no room for that - look how long each disc is.

18 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

3 CD re-release confirmed! And everybody has to buy it!

How dare LLL do such a thing. Taking advantage of the consumer😉

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There was (obviously) no room for that - look how long each disc is.

Well it technically could have fit if instead of including the full OST Disc 2 was only comprised of the album edits and Stalling Around (and maybe Las Gaviotas), but I get why y'all didn't do that. Keeping the OST makes this a better rounded album. I really love how each disc of this release is a great listen on its own, just like with the Matessino version of Close Encounters. Top notch program!

5 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

(and maybe Las Gaviotas)

i also have this on my playlist! i wouldn't dare complain about it not being on a release.  but when this was announced i was secretly hoping! :lol:

The OST is a far better listen than the vast majority of Williams albums, but for me it needs those extra anniversary cues. They don't make the album overlong and add a nice bit of variety.

I most lament the absence of The Encased Mosquito and The T-Rex Chase from the OST. They're so prominent in the film that just adding the Coming Storm suite would've made a huge difference to the album for me.

I did buy the OST back in the 90s, the 20th anniversary when it was released, and the 2016 box - but remind me again - which edits are unique to the 20th ann. release?