Jurassic Park 2-CD (La-La Land) - 5th Of July 2022

crocodile

9 minutes ago, rough cut said:

I did buy the OST back in the 90s, the 20th anniversary when it was released, and the 2016 box - but remind me again - which edits are unique to the 20th ann. release?

The 20th anniversary edition was a re-build of the 1993 OST album, followed by 4 bonus tracks at the end.

Two of those 4 bonus tracks were just a single cue alone in its own track (Stalling Around and Hungry Raptor)

The other two bonus tracks were new suites Ramiro created that combined multiple cues together with crossfades

The Coming Storm was comprised of

• 6M3    The Coming Storm
  • 9M2    The T-Rex Chase
  • 1M2    The Encased Mosquito

The History Lesson was comprised of

• 2M1    The Entrance Of Mr. Hammond
  • 5M1    The History Lesson

On 15/7/2022 at 11:27 AM, bollemanneke said:

But... It's clearly a performance mistake that shouldn't have been in there. I don't think this should carry over to an album release.

Which may be why it wasn’t, but the performance is so different It’s something those of us in the JP community and many in the film score community have wanted. So I’m grateful for it.

On 17/7/2022 at 7:32 AM, MedigoScan said:

Expanded and accurate to the film version!

JP3 did have the FYC release, but I like those tracks more without all the brass overlays.

Plus give us the Pteranodon cage track already.

Yes please! I could give an itemized list… haha

On 17/7/2022 at 2:10 PM, Brando said:

I don’t think so. Because according to all of the making of stories, JP has had at least 3(including the final film version)versions of the Raptors getting taken out. The first one, which I believe was the one that stayed in the longest was Grant using the controls of the T Rex skeleton to attack and kill the raptors. Then at some point i read that there was an idea of Hammond walking and shooting the Raptors. And then of course during filming SS felt the audience would be cheated if we didn’t see the Rex again. So that’s what they filmed and was apart of the locked cut that SS put together before leaving for Poland. I’m not sure if it’s been documented anywhere if they filmed the first one I mentioned, so it looks like once SS came up with the Rex saving the day he scrapped the other one before it was filmed. There is footage of the Visitors Center skeletons being broken on set with no creatures in them, so I’m willing to bet that’s what JW saw as he spotted the movie. 

To my understanding they never filmed anything but the final ending.

it’s worth knowing that it would have been one of the last effect sequences turned in because after they filmed the finale (a film wrap for Ariana and Joey), they cleaned the rotunda and the next day filmed the queue videos for River Adventure and then began tearing the set down. 

the final shots filmed were Hammond, Grant, and Ellie in the trailer as Hammond invited them.

Williams would have had a locked cut but with no effects to score to. Also realize that Williams scored the film with almost NO alternates. He has unused cues, sure, but no alts.

Any changes after the locked cut would have been a mix of work between George Lucas and Spielberg in Poland. So any changes—such as the shortening of Raptor in the Shed and making a new cue with tracked music or starting the credits a few seconds earlier and trimming some of the music—and the replacement of music 1:1 in the rex finale would have been one of their ideas

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So what were the unused cues? Do we know?

Karol

Just watch the movie! :lol: Or look up the restored thread. Goat Bait and much of Hungry Raptor are what quickly come to mind.

1 hour ago, GoodMusician said:

To my understanding they never filmed anything but the final ending.

But it's dodgy and certainly feels not well-integrated. Think about the perfect Spielberg-ian mise en scène of the first T-Rex appearance (the footsteps, the water cup etc.) and suddenly this giant animal arrives on the scene unnoticed and you find yourself guessing how he got in - i watched this with like 12 friends on opening day in 1993 and we were all puzzled by that. 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

The History Lesson was comprised of

• 2M1    The Entrance Of Mr. Hammond
  • 5M1    The History Lesson

These two would have worked better the other way round.

4 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

...but is it any more ridiculous than the shark jumping onto the Orca or being blown up by an improbably aimed bullet to an oxygen tank (which probably wouldn't explode in the fashion shown)? Yes, technically the end of Jurassic Park is bit of a cheesy T-Rex ex machina, but by that point, it's such a thrilling ride, you don't really notice (at least not until you're discussing it on a forum decades later ;-)

But it's badly executed, because you're neither clued in by the sounds an animal of this size would make before it appears nor do you see the side of the building is open. It looks virtually like they didn't have the right footage for that and decided 'what the hell...'.

Jaws is actually an example where the suspension of disbelief works because it's set up perfectly. And the boat jump is perfectly realistic, it just looks clumsy.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

But it's badly executed, because you're neither clued in by the sounds an animal of this size would make before it appears nor do you see the side of the building is open. It looks virtually like they didn't have the right footage for that and decided 'what the hell...'.

I mean I take your point, although I don't remember anyone coming away from JP when it was first out complaining that the T-Rex appearance at the end was unrealistic, but then we were teenagers with a low/high threshold for accuracy (depending on your point of view). I'm more amused by the raptor that disappears in one frame due to a rendering error.

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

Jaws is actually an example where the suspension of disbelief works because it's set up perfectly. And the boat jump is perfectly realistic, it just looks clumsy.

I don't ever remember knowing that great whites could breach until years later - I mean, there's now loads of footage of them online now but sharks were always the underwater menace whereas dolphins did all that frolicking on the surface. That bit in Jaws was almost where the shark almost jumped the shark but, as you say, because it looks a bit clumsy (largely because it looks too rigid), rather than because it's an unrealistic behaviour for the animal.

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I mean I take your point, although I don't remember anyone coming away from JP when it was first out complaining that the T-Rex appearance at the end was unrealistic, but then we were teenagers with a low/high threshold for accuracy (depending on your point of view). I'm more amused by the raptor that disappears in one frame due to a rendering error.

We complained like hell about the fence thing after the first T-Rex attack, the weightless T-Rex entering what looks like a closed building and a few other things in JP, but it was a great thrill ride.

I still find it a shallow movie, never approaching Jaws heights in terms of filmmaking genius, more like a well-oiled Disney attraction (with the Williams score having the same kind of effect on me, iconic as it might be), but it took me years to realize that all the great things i thought were in the book were wisely discarded in favour of a streamlined storyline. I read the book much later and realized how utterly unwieldy it would have been if they stayed true to it. 

Even though TLW is worse by a considerable margin, it works for me a 100% better as a watch, maybe because of the Hatari/Hawks influence.

JP and TLW did have a few instances of 'why was that off camera'? scenes.

Like the second Raptor breaking into the computer room.

21 hours ago, phbart said:

The thing about JP is that there's not a single seriously faulty release, IMHO. I always loved the '93 OST regarding sound quality and music assembly. Loved to have extra music and improved sound in 2013. Loved to have even more music, chronological order and even more sound improvement in 2016. In sum, I think JP never "desperately" needed a new release from the start (unlike, let's say, ToD, which still does, BTW). Nevertheless this new edition deserves praise because of the level of attention and care that was put into it.

Funny how this score can have 4 different releases, all with unique tracklists and mastering, but no glaring flaws in any version.

And then you have Star Wars.......

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

Ah I know. I thought there were cues that were not recorded or something. 

Karol

Unused means it was recorded, but not used.  In this score, that's Goat Bait and The Saboteur.

Unrecorded means, well, unrecorded.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Funny how this score can have 4 different releases, all with unique tracklists and mastering, but no glaring flaws in any version.

I ain’t laughing!

On 17/07/2022 at 12:13 PM, JohnnyD said:

Not to mention that the cue as composed and conducted syncs up perfectly with the film and fits the scene quite well. I understand why the section from the End Credits was tracked into that scene, though. Either way works perfect for me, though.

Brando states that JW didn't have effects to score to.

So, maybe I was right?

On 17/07/2022 at 11:10 AM, Brando said:

I don’t think so. Because according to all of the making of stories, JP has had at least 3(including the final film version)versions of the Raptors getting taken out. The first one, which I believe was the one that stayed in the longest was Grant using the controls of the T Rex skeleton to attack and kill the raptors. Then at some point i read that there was an idea of Hammond walking and shooting the Raptors. And then of course during filming SS felt the audience would be cheated if we didn’t see the Rex again. So that’s what they filmed and was apart of the locked cut that SS put together before leaving for Poland. I’m not sure if it’s been documented anywhere if they filmed the first one I mentioned, so it looks like once SS came up with the Rex saving the day he scrapped the other one before it was filmed. There is footage of the Visitors Center skeletons being broken on set with no creatures in them, so I’m willing to bet that’s what JW saw as he spotted the movie. 

See above

Ok so I found a clip from a different making of documentary (I was referring to the dvd one, this one covers JP & TLW). At 43:06 they start discussing the original ending and how they came up with the revised ending. Rick Carter actually makes a joke about the Rex getting into the building to begin with. Also, they used the album section of the climatic Carnivore motif when the Rex grabs the raptor. If you haven’t seen it, check out the rest of the documentary too, it’s pretty good 

There’s was a notepad sold at auction with notes from Phil Tippet discussing the return of the rex.

In earlier scripts the rex chases the cars to the helicopter and even attack the helicopter (you can see this even made it into the coloring book).

With those scenes removed, there was this question of how to have the rex return one final time. There was discussion of having the rex attack the raptors outside the VC but by this point in filming they’d lost the location sets to the hurricane.

Between Tippet and Spielberg or whoever the decision switched to have the Rex save them inside the VC and Rick Carter—the films production designer—even tried to figure out how the Rex got in but Spielberg was thinking cinematically, not in how it actually got into the building. 

And I think its important to remember the issue with the rex fence is due to the need to marry location with sound stage, and they did their best. This was pre CG environments. We didn’t really get those till JP3. 

The fact of the T-Rex getting out of the paddock and later entering the visitor center was never in question. 

However, for anyone who is curious:

1 hour ago, Brando said:

Also, they used the album section of the climatic Carnivore motif when the Rex grabs the raptor

Just that little clip (it's 44:15-44:22 in the video) proves how brilliantly Williams scored this and that Spielberg/Lucas did not need to replace it with tracked music.

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

Just that little clip (it's 44:15-44:22 in the video) proves how brilliantly Williams scored this and that Spielberg/Lucas did not need to replace it with tracked music.

I’m torn because I like both. But better than tracking would’ve been an insert.

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

The fact of the T-Rex getting out of the paddock and later entering the visitor center was never in question. 

However, for anyone who is curious:

I don’t generally watch Klaytons videos. I wrote the original articles explaining how both scenes worked heh

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

I must confess, I NEVER ONCE thought about the paddock scene having any logistical inconsistencies!

The paddock scene isn’t so much inconsistent as perhaps visually not as clear as it could be. I have the blue prints for the set showing the hole the car was pushed into and the part at road level where the goat had been (between the cars) where the rex exist. 

With everything going on and the repetitious nature of the fence, not to mention the need to try and match it to an existing location they couldn’t do any real earth works to, it matches as best as they could at the time.

The rex entering the rotunda… the only way it works is there’s damage to the freshly made facade on that side by the hurricane… otherwise… movie magic haha

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

The guy who made the.video is right on!

Who cares about " inconsistencies" - if they are even there in the first place.

Just watch and Enjoy this classic!

Don’t think, just consooooooom! 👎 

You’d be right if he wasn’t watching the movies, but he is. He calls Jurassic Park a classic (which it is) and then tells you to turn your brain off and just “enjoy” (which is the mantra of stupid people).

I think you're taking that turn off the brain a bit too literally. Sure you can walk away from watching JP with high level discussion about the moral aspect of it. But you can also not, and still not be some "stupid person". It's a popcorn movie at the end of the day with bits of deep philosophical questions.

Besides, that's why there's the book.

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Why does giving a shit about inconcistencies equal turning one's brain off?

It doesn’t. Turning your brain off allows you to ignore inconsistencies or enjoy lower quality shows like Book of Boba Fett.

On 22/07/2022 at 8:29 AM, crumbs said:

And Indiana Jones. What a missed oportunity that 2008 release was... :sarcasm:

On 22/07/2022 at 3:04 PM, A. A. Ron said:

...[Bruce] calls Jurassic Park a classic (which it is) and then tells you to turn your brain off and just “enjoy” (which is the mantra of STUPID people).

He received a warning for that post (it violates the personal attack rule), though the post wasn't edited and I understand there is no indication to the general public that he received that warning.

Given that this new release's artwork plays off the original novel's design, I wonder if they'll do the same if/when they reissue The Lost World, with the downward-facing T-Rex?

Lost World novel.jpg

23 minutes ago, Matt S. said:

Given that this new release's artwork plays off the original novel's design, I wonder if they'll do the same if/when they reissue The Lost World, with the downward-facing T-Rex?

Lost World novel.jpg

I wondered that too, but they'd be pigeon-holing themselves if they ever wanted to expand JP3 or the JW trilogy (which obviously have no book covers).

More likely they retain the same layout as the Jurassic Park reissue but change the colour and texture of each cover to reflect the films.

• TLW: Yellow with broken rock texture
  • JP3: Spinosaurus with red metallic texture
  • JW: T-Rex with blue metallic texture
  • JWFK: T-Rex with orange molten lava texture
  • JWD: T-Rex with yellow amber texture

I'm guessing a box set of the Giacchino scores is high on their wishlist (and Gia scores seem to avoid AFM fees, which would only affect JW1 anyway).

17 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Why would a Gia JW box set be high on LLL's wishlist?

Why wouldn't a box set of scores from a hugely popular, relevant franchise like Jurassic be high on their wishlist?

Especially off the back of a new film. It's a much easier sell right now than down the road, once the franchise goes dormant again.