Jurassic Park 2-CD (La-La Land) - 5th Of July 2022

crocodile

For the 2016 box set, the AFM provided a combined list of musicians that played in either score that went into the booklet. (since they were only 4 years apart, many players were the same anyway) 

For this reissue, they provided a list that was supposed to be just the ones that played on JP. Maybe someone at the AFM made a mistake and left the TLW guitar player listed, I dunno. (there's guitar in TLW for Reading The Map) 

Whatever they provide goes into the release as-is. 

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe someone at the AFM made a mistake and left the TLW guitar player listed, I dunno. (there's guitar in TLW for Reading The Map)

A very convincing theory, Jay. I suggest we go with that.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere before, but I can't find it:

Are "Theme From Jurassic Park" and "End Credits" on the original album unique performances, or just unique edits?

• 3 months later...

Does anyone else think 'Hungry Raptor' sounds incredibly different than every other cue on this score. It sounds like an alternate. Every time it comes on I feel like I'm listening to a different score.

Yes! When I first heard it (in the end credits of the documentary), I thought it was some other composer riffing on Johny's carnivore theme. It was shocking to find out it was part of the score that just didn't make the final film or album 

21 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Does anyone else think 'Hungry Raptor' sounds incredibly different than every other cue on this score. It sounds like an alternate. Every time it comes I feel like I'm listening to a different score.

Agreed, especially the way it opens and the driving rhythmic take which just kinda barrels along with bits of the raptor/monster motif over the top. I remember hearing it with the original expanded version (pre-LLL) and being quite startled. Kinda not that surprising it wasn't used, although it feels a bit like it was written to be tracked in as required, rather than for a specific scene, although I assume it's meant to be for the kitchen sequence.

No, it's for Laura Dern being chased after she turns the power back on. 

The whole LLL album is in chronological order. 

The second half of the cue is used in the film, for the "clever girl" scene where the raptors kill Muldoon.

But that part of the cue wasn't used in the documentary end credits, so we didn't know it was the same cue until we saw the sheet music

I wonder if it had been on the film all along it would sound so different or not. Jurassic park gate has some lost worldy percussion and it does feel a natural part of the score anyway…

16 hours ago, Bellosh said:

Does anyone else think 'Hungry Raptor' sounds incredibly different than every other cue on this score. It sounds like an alternate. Every time it comes on I feel like I'm listening to a different score.

It does and It's easily my least favourite cue in the score. It's so hyper and uses the raptor motif in a far less spooky and dangerous way - it's a very strange cue taken with the rest of the score.

There are times when a cue goes unused for a reason.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Have you ever offered a raptor any meat, only for it to say: "Nah, you're

alright, mate, I'm full"?

Can't say I've ever had the chance to, no

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"Hungry Raptor"?

They're always bleedin' hungry!

Have you ever offered a raptor any meat, only for it to say: "Nah, you're

alright, mate, I'm full"?

I'm not getting the reference 😂

It's a weird one. Most of the unused music in the first film is like, "Yeah, that would have been unnecessary." But the unused parts of this cue would have straight-up ruined the scene with their zaniness. The tracked music in the final cut works infinitely better. Much scarier.

That being said, I enjoy the cue on its own—particularly when the carnivore theme comes crashing back in at the end.

• 4 months later...

On 29/4/2023 at 6:57 PM, Bellosh said:

No, I don't think it's an alternate. I'm convinced it's the only existing version. Maybe there's an unexplained arrangement detail?

10 minutes ago, CuriousMan said:

No, I don't think it's an alternate. I'm convinced it's the only existing version. Maybe there's an unexplained arrangement detail?

There’s certainly nothing in JW’s sketch to indicate it’s an alternate:

image.png

22 hours ago, CuriousMan said:

I think all Bellosh meant was that the cue doesn't sound like it fits in with the rest of the score.

1 hour ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

I think all Bellosh meant was that the cue doesn't sound like it fits in with the rest of the score.

I think that’s what was meant too and I’d have to agree. It’s fun, but quite a left field take on the material compared to the rest of the action music (especially at the start of the cue). If memory serves, it wasn’t used in the film (or at least was used in bits, I don’t have the liner notes to hand…) and, as someone said when it as discussed earlier, it sounds more like someone else’s take on JW’s JP material (sequel or video game style) than something JW wrote himself even though he clearly did!

12 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

If memory serves, it wasn’t used in the film (or at least was used in bits, I don’t have the liner notes to hand…)

The action-based first half of the cue (intended for the raptor chasing Ellie out of the shed) isn't used at all; It's completely replaced by music tracked in from other cues instead.

The second half of the cue (Muldoon's "clever girl" scene) is mostly used, however the ending of the cue is dropped.

It does have a slightly different sound; a little Stalling-esque, maybe. If that’s true, it is almost a dark extension of the video demonstration music.

The dinosaurs are alive and have come through the screen to eat you! (Which besides being just what happens in the movie, the raptors sort of actually do this in the kitchen sequence when the raptors appear behind drawings of themselves.) I know I’m reaching a little here but when you make smart, intelligently structured art, connections form you may not even have been aware of yourself when writing.

Anyway, that’s my head canon. Hungry Raptor is the score’s Stalling Around sound taken to its violent conclusion. Whether he did it on purpose or whether it was just all floating around in his head doesn’t much matter

• 1 month later...

It's the exact same performance as heard in the film!  It's just hard to hear there under the helicopter noises.  This could be a reason why the take on the old album was different than the film.

Yeah and it irks me every time I listen to the film version to hear that flub. :P 

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Yeah and it irks me every time I listen to the film version to hear that flub. :P 

What did that poor flub do to you?

You should be ashamed of yourself!!

;)

I stuck with the album version specifically because I don't like that film take - flub, tempo, the entire thing. I also prefer the transition to the visitor center arrival, how the tempo keeps going as the march comes in a little early. The true film version breaks that nice rhythm up for me - one of very few cases where I completely agree with how Williams presented it for listening.

Wow that's interesting.  I prefer the film version of the transition into the march so so so much more than the album version, it's not even close.

But for the helicopter landing yea, the performance and tempo of the album version is superior for isolated listening, but boy am I glad we have the film take available now too!