Jump to content

Jurassic Park 2-CD (La-La Land) - 5th Of July 2022


Recommended Posts

Well, to be fair, what has near the appeal of Star Wars, and why should that deter LLL?  I imagine any Jurassic title has a huge fanbase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

 

I wondered that too, but they'd be pigeon-holing themselves if they ever wanted to expand JP3 or the JW trilogy (which obviously have no book covers).

 

More likely they retain the same layout as the Jurassic Park reissue but change the colour and texture of each cover to reflect the films.

  • TLW: Yellow with broken rock texture
  • JP3: Spinosaurus with red metallic texture
  • JW: T-Rex with blue metallic texture
  • JWFK: T-Rex with orange molten lava texture
  • JWD: T-Rex with yellow amber texture

 

I'm guessing a box set of the Giacchino scores is high on their wishlist (and Gia scores seem to avoid AFM fees, which would only affect JW1 anyway).

Oooooo I really like this idea. Also thought the DVD covers were a good idea too. The 3 Raptors for TLW is so pretty looking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/07/2022 at 10:30 AM, crumbs said:

 

I wondered that too, but they'd be pigeon-holing themselves if they ever wanted to expand JP3 or the JW trilogy (which obviously have no book covers).

 

More likely they retain the same layout as the Jurassic Park reissue but change the colour and texture of each cover to reflect the films.

 

Yeah, it was just a thought.  Besides which, using TLW's novel-style cover would probably never be approved by the studio since (at least as far as I remember) that image was never used for the film's marketing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Matt S. said:

 

Yeah, it was just a thought.  Besides which, using TLW's novel-style cover would probably never be approved by the studio since (at least as far as I remember) that image was never used for the film's marketing.

 

I actually remember some cool unused logo designs on the first DVD release of The Lost World, which included some alternate T-Rex poses that echoed the book cover. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/07/2022 at 5:56 PM, Andy said:

Well, to be fair, what has near the appeal of Star Wars, and why should that deter LLL?  I imagine any Jurassic title has a huge fanbase.

 

Please don't mistake my comments for any negative connotations - I'd love a JW box to happen.

 

But they are all comparatively recent scores and Dominion is already pretty comprehensive, and as such it would surprise me if LLL were planning to put resources into a lavish set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

It's when 3M2 The Dinosaurs ends and 3M2A The Entrance Of The Park begins, basically when it segues from the glory of the dinosaurs scene to the jeeps traveling to the visitor center.  On the album version Johnny made in 1993, they are overlapped so closely, you are still revealing in the majesty of the dinosaur music when it fairly abruptly jumps to the jeep-traveling music.  But in the film itself, and therefore in the new main program, more of the recorded opening of 3M2A is heard before the fast part of the cue begins.  It sounds sooooooooo much better this way!  I love it so much.

I seem to remember that in the score as it was written 3M2A also entered a beat or measure later.

My copy is still underway so haven't heard it yet, but does the film version match the written score?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IIRC the overlap of cues in the final film doesn't exactly match what the sheet music says, but its closer to the sheet music's overlap than the album version

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It all lined up perfectly when I compared the film rip and the film version in audacity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So this is the second purchase I've made from La-La Land (the first being Schindler's List, although in retrospect that was to bleak a place to start my collection). However, Schindler did move from "Awaiting Fulfillment" to "Awaiting Shipping" to "Shipped" within two days.

 

I'm sorry if this ends up derailing the thread, but since I can't find this information elsewhere, I was just wondering, as I wait for my order status to change: 

 

1. Does LLL process orders on weekends? I know they have a very small team.

 

2. Does the popularity of the item I order determine how long it takes to fulfill? Or is it just based on the queue of payments that comes in?

 

3. Is Jurassic Park reserved for me once I order it, or is there a chance that "Awaiting Fulfillment" might mean that it will sell out before they reach my spot in line?

 

Sorry for so many anxious questions, I just do not want to miss out on this score a second time. I can't believe I slept on it for so long, just because I wasn't interested in Dino theme parks. Absolutely sublime music.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SpotTheDog said:

1. Does LLL process orders on weekends? I know they have a very small team.

 

Nah

 

1 hour ago, SpotTheDog said:

2. Does the popularity of the item I order determine how long it takes to fulfill?

 

Of course 

 

1 hour ago, SpotTheDog said:

Or is it just based on the queue of payments that comes in?

 

Yea

 

1 hour ago, SpotTheDog said:

3. Is Jurassic Park reserved for me once I order it

 

Yea

 

1 hour ago, SpotTheDog said:

, or is there a chance that "Awaiting Fulfillment" might mean that it will sell out before they reach my spot in line?

 

Nope

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As far as I know it was expected to be back in stock by Friday. So all pending orders would have started shipping by now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Amer said:

As far as I know it was expected to be back in stock by Friday. So all pending orders would have started shipping by now.

Ooh, I didn’t realize it went out of stock at all. Or do you mean it was backordered but they were still accepting purchases?

 

Either way, that’s a good sign for the popularity of this release. (Y)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SpotTheDog said:

Ooh, I didn’t realize it went out of stock at all. Or do you mean it was backordered but they were still accepting purchases?

 

Either way, that’s a good sign for the popularity of this release. (Y)

Yes because I called them to place my order. So hope fully our order's are on their way. SAE and Intrada are also expecting their stock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/08/2022 at 4:33 AM, Amer said:

Yes because I called them to place my order. So hope fully our order's are on their way. SAE and Intrada are also expecting their stock.

I still wasn't able to confirm any information about a backorder/delay in receiving stock, but my order just changed to "Awaiting Shipment," so hopefully yours will, too!  :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Mike Matessino discusses this release with @TownerFan and @mahler3 on the latest episode of The Legacy of John Williams!

 

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/08/20/spielberg-williams-podcast/

 

In the episode you will hear stories about how the Live to Projection concert led to the remix of Dennis Steals The Embryo even being possible, why the 2016 4-CD set did not have an OST album rebuild, and lots more.  Give it a listen!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Mike Matessino discusses this release with @TownerFan and @mahler3 on the latest episode of The Legacy of John Williams!

 

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/08/20/spielberg-williams-podcast/

 

In the episode you will hear stories about how the Live to Projection concert led to the remix of Dennis Steals The Embryo even being possible, why the 2016 4-CD set did not have an OST album rebuild, and lots more.  Give it a listen!

Sweet! I was hoping they would touch upon this new release/new tracks. I’ve been listening to it on my way to work this week and I’m a little over the halfway mark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Mike Matessino discusses this release with @TownerFan and @mahler3 on the latest episode of The Legacy of John Williams!

 

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/08/20/spielberg-williams-podcast/

 

In the episode you will hear stories about how the Live to Projection concert led to the remix of Dennis Steals The Embryo even being possible, why the 2016 4-CD set did not have an OST album rebuild, and lots more.  Give it a listen!

And Mike even mentions you as his buddy!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought he said "our" buddy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Received my copy today. Will listen to it later. Nice to see the yellow jurassic logo on the backcover. Back in the day all official merchandise for both jp and tlw, had the yellow logo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for the record..I ordered from music box records. it was a batch that arrived last week. so i assume it is the second LLL batch.

 

The "blip" in T-Rex rescue is not fixxed...in case someone wanted to rebuy it thinking they would have corrected it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doesn't this start shipping tomorrow?  How are people getting them already?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The "blip" in T-Rex rescue is not fixxed...in case someone wanted to rebuy it thinking they would have corrected it.

 

There's also (to my ears) a very noticeable volume dip for the alternate take in Journey to the Island Film Version, when the helicopter lands at the foot of the waterfall. Nobody else seems to be able to hear it but it's very obvious around the cymbal crash that ends the previous take.

 

And yeah, the annoying digital artifact a few seconds prior that's been on every release since the 20th anniversary (including the previous LLL). Not sure why that's never been fixed but it's super irritating once you've heard it. Must be inherent in the source, unless someone can confirm the original pressing of the OST didn't have it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The JTTI problem that my ears pick up is the performance edit when we go from inside the helicopter to outside, seeing the island for the first time. The first note comes from a take where the brass is heavier and the strings take a backseat, then we switch to a take with the strings much much heavier for the rest of the phrase and its repeat, and the brass taking a backseat, and it even seems to me like part of that first note is cut off in the process, making the already not that great tempo switch more jarring. I had to loop and fiddle a lot to make that perfect for myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are those issues just inherent in the recording, or at least the switch between takes used in the film?

 

IOW, is the film version just a bit untidy? The 2016 set version sounds fine to me - I didn't particularly care for the variation of the landing section you can hear in the film.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Same transition in the film but somewhat covered up by the helicopter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

 

There's also (to my ears) a very noticeable volume dip for the alternate take in Journey to the Island Film Version, when the helicopter lands at the foot of the waterfall. Nobody else seems to be able to hear it but it's very obvious around the cymbal crash that ends the previous take.

Isn’t this the mis-take that makes both tracks different?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, igger6 said:

Doesn't this start shipping tomorrow?  How are people getting them already?

Oh, then i shouldnt have the new batch. Unless resellers had priority restocking…which i doubt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

unless someone can confirm the original pressing of the OST didn't have it.


Give me a time stamp and I’ll happily have a listen to my 1993 OST and report back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just listened to the set. What about that annoying volume drop at 1.22 of Journey To The Island (Film Version CD1 Track 5) and Journey To The Island (CD2 Track 4)? Luckily this isn't present on the OST!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Just listened to the set. What about that annoying volume drop at 1.22 of Journey To The Island (Film Version CD1 Track 5) and Journey To The Island (CD2 Track 4)? Luckily this isn't present on the OST!

I haven't listened to it. But it's a film version. Probably, in the movie someone was speaking. To make that audible maybe they lowered the volume. But I would have expected that such things get fixed in an audio release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I haven't listened to it. But it's a film version. Probably, in the movie someone was speaking. To make that audible maybe they lowered the volume. But I would have expected that such things get fixed in an audio release.

 

While there have been specialty label albums in the past that pulled music from a film's music stem, and sometimes volume dips inherent in the stems aren't adjusted in these situations - this album is not one of these scenarios. 

 

Mike built this entire set from scratch using a digital transfer of the original analog music recordings. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, Nemesis said:

Just listened to the set. What about that annoying volume drop at 1.22 of Journey To The Island (Film Version CD1 Track 5) and Journey To The Island (CD2 Track 4)? Luckily this isn't present on the OST!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw this paperback edition of The Lost World at Amoeba yesterday that reminded me of the new cover art here

 

 

TLW.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

My copy just arrived and I'm enjoying it greatly. One question:

 

On the list of musicians, there's a guitarist credited but I can't hear a guitar anywhere so far. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

 

Mark

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.