Jurassic Park 2-CD (La-La Land) - 5th Of July 2022

crocodile

Fallen Kingdom is a fine score, one of his best in recent years. I've not heard a note of Dominion yet as I haven't seen the film. 

I enjoy all three scores to an extent. First one was probably the strongest with the second one being the weakest. I didn't respond to its loudness too well and more streamlined sound of 3 sits with me better.

As for the films, I remember enjoying the snarky meta tone of the first one at the time but it was nothing special as such and, ultimately, didn't stay with me. The second one I didn't like one bit. The third one is really silly and makes no sense whatsoever but the trashy excess of it, particularly in the Malta sequence, was occasionally fun to watch. The sad thing is that I really liked the setup and some of the imagery of dinosaurs in snowy landscapes in the opening act was quite cool. Sadly, the film gradually starts to collapse under the weight of its length and number of characters in it. Ultimately, they are all disposable. 

Karol

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I have a feeling there is something more than just a reissue here. 

I doubt there is anything critical that was missing.Probably a new source has turned up or it could simply be a remix with some tweaks. The Program could be slightly altered as well.

2 hours ago, Andy said:

I have a feeling there is something more than just a reissue here. 

I am going with there not being too much to write home about, seeing as Legacy of JW isn't in a rush to do a podcast about it.

In the final film mix, what is tracked into 'T-Rex Rescue and Finale'? Is it 'Journey to the Island' or is it that same section from 'Welcome to Jurassic Park'? Anytime this is brought up everyone says that its Journey but when I matched this up to the films audio to check this, Journey didn't quite line up and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

1 hour ago, Brando said:

In the final film mix, what is tracked into 'T-Rex Rescue and Finale'? Is it 'Journey to the Island' or is it that same section from 'Welcome to Jurassic Park'? Anytime this is brought up everyone says that its Journey but when I matched this up to the films audio to check this, Journey didn't quite line up and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

Maybe the new release will have a Film Edit of that track, like the TLW LLL including a film edit of that finale. 

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

News sometime today? It's gotta be

JWFan little post says:

More details on the new release, including track list and samples, will be available soon at JWFan.

Maybe we can expect an exclusive JWFan tracklist announcement for today?

Or maybe "soon" is tomorrow and the tracklist and samples will just be a link to the LLL page :D

8 hours ago, Brando said:

I recreated the film version in my set (I don't like the intended version much) and I just popped Journey in there. I didn't really bother to check whether it matched exactly - the edit back to the intended cue is crap anyway.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I recreated the film version in my set (I don't like the intended version much) and I just popped Journey in there. I didn't really bother to check whether it matched exactly - the edit back to the intended cue is crap anyway.

I remember when I was making an edit of it, looking at the film rip versus Journey, i couldn’t find a great edit point, which I thought was odd, because it had to have worked somehow, and then I tried “Welcome” and I was able to slide that in nicely. I guess I’ll have to look at it again. Speaking of “Welcome to Jurassic Park”, the track on the OST “End Credits”, what is that an edit of? To me it seems a bit redundant to put Welcome early in the program and then to finish the album with another edit of the theme.

5 hours ago, Brando said:

the track on the OST “End Credits”, what is that an edit of? To me it seems a bit redundant to put Welcome early in the program and then to finish the album with another edit of the theme.

Williams wrote the end credits as one long cue (14M2 End Credits).

At the recording stage, it was recorded in two parts (14M2 Part 1 and 14M2 Part 2)

When assembling the album, he put the entire end credits composition (both parts of 14M2 edited together as intended) in the middle of the album and called it "Welcome To Jurassic Park".  He then also put 14M2 Part 2 in its own track at the end of the album and called that "End Credits"

It's literally the exact same take(s), editing, mixing, and mastering as you hear in "Welcome to Jurassic Park".

14 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I never really understood the decision to put the actual end credits of Welcome to JP in the middle of the disc and then use half of it to stick at the end of the album as the "end credits". Especially since in the film the contrast between the excitement of T-Rex Finale and the gentle piano version of the main theme as they fly away is really satisfying and memorable, especially as there's no dialogue once they have decided "not to endorse your park"

Yes!

14 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

(basically, it's Journey to the Island in reverse).

Yes!

15 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

...and I have to say, I never really understood the decision to put the actual end credits of Welcome to JP in the middle of the disc and then use half of it to stick at the end of the album as the "end credits". Especially since in the film the contrast between the excitement of T-Rex Finale and the gentle piano version of the main theme as they fly away is really satisfying and memorable, especially as there's no dialogue once they have decided "not to endorse your park" (basically, it's Journey to the Island in reverse).

It would make perfect sense if the album had been a two-sided LP, with Welcome either closing the first or opening the second side. Especially since most of what comes after it is either more abstract action scoring or has very scene-specific variations of the theme. Side 1 would have all the major concert-style theme presentations. Perhaps Williams just didn't understand the concept of CDs yet…

Well I waited until 2am local time, but it's tradition that the minute I go to sleep is the moment the tracklist gets posted.

So..... goodnight world!

La-La Land sends out email newsletters that reveal the tracklists of their Tuesday titles around 3AM EST of release day (so, midnight PST of Monday in their local timezone)

So I'd expect that email a little under 15 hours from now.

For me, the album presentation forever soured me a little on the score in general, because of the repetitiveness of the program.  It's a better score in its complete form, easily.  It also made The Lost World an easy winner for me when comparing the two.  (TLW also being better in its complete form)

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

La-La Land sends out email newsletters that reveal the tracklists of their Tuesday titles around 3AM EST of release day (so around midnight PST the night before their local time)

So I'd expect that email a little under 15 hours from now.

Does anyone know what time it goes on sale?

All new La-La Land Titles go on sale on Tuesdays at 12:00 PM PST, which is 3:00 PM EST, or 12 hours after the newsletter drops.

54 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

...and I have to say, I never really understood the decision to put the actual end credits of Welcome to JP in the middle of the disc and then use half of it to stick at the end of the album as the "end credits". Especially since in the film the contrast between the excitement of T-Rex Finale and the gentle piano version of the main theme as they fly away is really satisfying and memorable, especially as there's no dialogue once they have decided "not to endorse your park" (basically, it's Journey to the Island in reverse).

I think the shortened version of the End Credits was an edit originally conceived as the "B-side" of the CD single: https://www.discogs.com/it/release/4125665-John-Williams-Theme-From-Jurassic-Park

Then JW or someone at MCA decided it was good enough to close out the OST album as well.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

For me, the album presentation forever soured me a little on the score in general, because of the repetitiveness of the program.  It's a better score in its complete form, easily.  It also made The Lost World an easy winner for me when comparing the two.  (TLW also being better in its complete form)

It's like the majority of Williams scores - you appreciate his album program for a few plays, then almost immediately (especially after seeing the film) want all the rest. Most other composers don't have this issue because they make more representative albums.

2 hours ago, Andy said:

As my first ever soundtrack I don’t think i could ever be soured on it but it definitely works better if you cut out the “end credits” and stick Welcome to Jurassic Park at the end it works really well. I mean I do prefer it complete in film order but the original album does at least feature all of the major highlights.

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I think the shortened version of the End Credits was an edit originally conceived as the "B-side" of the CD single: https://www.discogs.com/it/release/4125665-John-Williams-Theme-From-Jurassic-Park

Then JW or someone at MCA decided it was good enough to close out the OST album as well.

Sounds plausible. Indeed I actually have the CD single JP theme disc that I randomly picked up at a charity shop. Obviously not interesting musically use but a nice collectible for the JW/JP obsessive!

I'll say this again… while the track order on the album is really confusing (even in a purely musical way), some of Williams's track edits/cue combinations do work very well in this case.

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'll say this again… while the track order on the album is really confusing (even in a purely musical way), some of Williams's track edits/cue combinations do work very well in this case.

Yes, I always loved the edit of the prologue sequence. Same goes for the sequel score actually.

Karol

I'll wake up tomorrow to the tracklist and I'm sort of hoping it's just the 2 discs from the box, and that 'remastered' is in comparison to the OST. I love the box and I don't want to buy it again :P 

'New and improved' however.... 

I think this release is really only for uber-fans of the score (like myself) and people who didn't get it in the first pressing when it was paired with Lost World. This score, in expanded form, should ALWAYS be in print. ;)

@crumbs You beat me by a min!  (But you may want to edit out the last 6 lines about Patriot Games. Never mind, you fixed it as I was writing.)

My take - it's nice to have the original album available in remastered sound. It has always been a great listen, and it's really amazing to think that 70 mins was released back then. 

I do wonder if the digital release might get updated at HD resolutions as that could be swapped in for the existing digital masters out there now. (Which is actually already at 196/24 now that I look at HDtracks.com.) Hmm. 

In any case, I'm happy to have this in my collection and will order tomorrow. I have no problem with La-La Land releasing something is pretty much a lot of previous content. As noted above, some folks don't have it and are paying high eBay prices if they want a physical copy, and La-La Land and other should be able to use the material they developed and paid for anyway they need. There are no different than Warner Bros, Sony, DG, Decca and other labels getting more mileage from their catalog with box sets and other combos. Look at the Philips JW Boston Pops set. They did not even remaster it. 

I am all for these wonderful companies thriving and helping us be satiated for all the wonderful music they bring us.

Yuppp. Couldn't agree more. And besides, maybe if this sells well again... Lost World will come next with its own updates... or even... JURASSIC PARK 3, baby!

Sam Neill What GIF by Jurassic World

So what happened with journey to the island and dennis steals the embryos in the previous release?

The disc arrangement is what should have been in the first place, no two weird 40 min cds

38 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I do wonder if the digital release might get updated at HD resolutions as that could be swapped in for the existing digital masters out there now. (Which is actually already at 196/24 now that I look at HDtracks.com.) Hmm.

That said, https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html is an evergreen explanation of why high-resolution audio is at best a waste of space when it comes to playback.

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So what happened with journey to the island and dennis steals the embryos in the previous release?

The disc arrangement is what should have been in the first place, no two weird 40 min cds

From what I know, they were the album takes/mixes, or just different takes/mixes than how they are in the film. Probably too minute for most people to notice, but I guess we will hear soon enough.

13 minutes ago, Quppa said:

That said, https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html is an evergreen explanation of why high-resolution audio is at best a waste of space when it comes to playback.

Ah thanks.

And yes, I am aware of the inherent minimal playback reasons for HD. Still I like them, but really the benefit of the higher resolutions is for master archival purposes. 

I'm mainly curious whether 'fresh outputs of the 192k/24 bit master files' means any audible difference from the 2016 release.

Too bad this is the only release I'm interested in in this batch - once again, international shipping fees are going to cost almost as much as the product itself :( Bring on more David Arnold and Thomas Newman expansions!