Patriot Games & Clear and Present Danger coming from LLL, July 5 2022

Patriot Games looks like a straight reissue but Clear and Present Danger is "expanded". Curious. I do actually like this one.

Karol

12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Patriot Games looks like a straight reissue but Clear and Present Danger is "expanded". Curious. I do actually like this one.

I think when Intrada did their expansion there were some alternate film versions missing, or something? We'll find out the details soon. It is my favorite of the two scores.

I hope they've rearranged Patriot Games at least to include the complete score on Disc 1 and bonuses on Disc 2 instead of just splitting across the discs based on time alone.

Yavar

7 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I think when Intrada did their expansion there were some alternate film versions missing, or something? We'll find out the details soon. It is my favorite of the two scores.

Yes, the film has extra piano overlays during this scene (starting at 2:00) that are absent from previous releases of "Ambush".

And "Deleting The Evidence" on the Intrada release had an alternate ending compared to the film and the previous OST. Neither the OST or the Intrada release had the film take of the metallic striking sound heard at 0:08 in this scene (sounds like cymbals?)

These two scores I count among my favourite Horner scores as well, nice to see they're back. I made a custom playlist back in the day assembling a 'bonus tracks' album containing the alternate or film version material from both; curious to see what will be new on the CAPD album.

Here's the tracklist and info for Patriot Games too

La-La Land Records and Paramount Pictures proudly present the 30th Anniversary re-issue of our previously out-of-print remastered and expanded soundtrack of acclaimed composer James Horner’s (STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN, ALIENS, GLORY, TITANIC) original motion picture score to the 1992 feature film dramatic thriller PATRIOT GAMES, starring Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Anne Archer and Sean Bean, and directed by Phillip Noyce. Horner’s intense, Irish-tinged score returns to delight fans of the composer and the hit film. It’s a notable work that expertly supports this political thriller’s complex characterizations, brooding intrigue and white-knuckle suspense. Produced by Dan Goldwasser and mastered by Mike Matessino, Horner’s masterful PATRIOT GAMES score shines throughout this 2-CD set, which also contains in-depth liner notes by writer Jim Lochner and newly reworked art design by Goldwasser. This is a limited edition of 2000 Units that features the same master and content as our 2013 release.

DISC 1

1. Main Title (3:01)

2. Attempt on the Royals (3:53)

3. CNN News Report*/Sean’s Interrogation* (2:41)

4. Kevin Walks Away*/Deadly Lover*/ Sean’s Trial* (1:46)

5. Sean Obsessing in Jail*/Highland’s Execution (4:59)

6. Strange Cargo* (1:36)

7. The Hit (8:11)

8. Hospital Vigil*/Jack Returns to CIA*/Studying Sean’s File* (3:38)

9. Arrest of the Bombers (1:35)

10. Putting the Pieces Together/Reading to Sally*/Sean’s Midnight Call* 

(6:12)

11. Girl in Photo*/Cooley Escapes* (3:39)

12. Two-Edged Surveillance* (1:59)

13. Electronic Battlefield* (film version) (3:22)

DISC TIME: 46:31

DISC 2

1. Assault on Ryan’s House (10:59)

2. Boat Chase/Aftermath* (5:28)

3. Closing Credits* (film version) (4:13)

BONUS TRACKS

4. Harry’s Game (P. Brennan) (2:34)

performed by Clannad

5. Hospital Vigil* (alternate) (1:53)

6. Electronic Battlefield (orchestra only) (3:20)

SOURCE CUES

7. Washington Post March* (J.P. Sousa) (1:29)

8. Whelan’s Jig* (Traditional) (2:07)

9. The Hunt* (Traditional) (3:29)

10. Piano Trio in E-Flat, Op. 14 (K. 498)* (W.A. Mozart) (1:35)

11. Piano Sonata in B-Flat, Op. 17, No. 1 (K. 333)* (W.A. Mozart) (1:56)

12. Closing Credits (album version) (4:18)

DISC TIME: 43:21

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 89:52

*previously unreleased

Vocal performances by Maggie Boyle

except ”Harry’s Game” performed by Clannad, produced by Richard Dodd

12 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

DISC 1
SCORE PRESENTATION
1. Main Title / A Clear and Present Danger (film version)§** 5:36
2. President’s Mission 1:20
3. Jack’s New Office 1:45
4. Greer Signs Memo 0:51
5. Cortez Arrives in U.S. 1:14
6. Jack Briefs FBI / President 1:00
7. Operation Reciprocity 3:26
8. Blow Up Narcotics Plane§ 2:03
9. Try Lindo Brand 1:25
10. Fire In The Hole 1:57
11. Moira’s Fatal Phone Call 1:46
12. The Ambush (film version)* 9:58
13. Jack Calls Cathy / Casket Arrival 2:52
14. The Laser-Guided Missile 3:49
15. Jack Sees Bombing 1:06
16. Looking for Clues (film version) 3:45
17. Cortez Is Watched 2:49
18. Greer’s Last Hospital 1:52
19. Deleting the Evidence 4:45
20. Greer’s Funeral / Betrayal§ 6:30
TOTAL DISC TIME: 59:49

DISC 2
SCORE PRESENTATION (CONT.)
21. Chavez Sees Prisoners 1:35
22. Escobedo’s New Friend – Part 1 3:34
23. Second Hand Copter 2:23
24. Rebuffed 1:18
25. Escobedo’s New Friend – Part 2 1:48
26. Cortez Kills Escobedo 2:59
27. Finding the Prisoners 1:35
28. Jack Creates Diversion 1:39
29. Woodroom / Finale** 4:37
30. Jack Argues With President 2:08
31. Truth Needs a Soldier / End Title 5:57
TOTAL SCORE TIME 29:33

1994 ALBUM VERSIONS
32. Main Title / A Clear and Present Danger 5:30
33. The Ambush 10:02
34. Looking for Clues 3:42

ALTERNATES
35. Second Hand Copter (alternate)* 2:20
36. Finding the Prisoners (alternate) 1:39
37. Woodroom / Finale (alternate)** 4:29
38. Main Title / A Clear and Present Danger (alternate opening excerpt)* 0:53

TOTAL BONUS TIME: 28:35
TOTAL DISC TIME: 58:08
TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 117:57

*previously unreleased
** contains previously unreleased material
§ contains material not used in the film

Anyone besides me notice for the press release they didn't start over at track 1 for disc 2, but kept counting upwards from where disc 1 leaves off (track 20)?

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyone besides me notice for the press release they didn't start over at track 1 for disc 2, but kept counting upwards from where disc 1 leaves off (track 20)?

Not only for the press release. Source: www.warmbutter.com

CAPD-cdtray-outside.jpg

It seems like they continued the numbering because the score presentation does not all fit on a single disc. Resuming the count from where they left off at the end of disc 1 makes it easier for the reader (listener) to tell that disc 2 continues the presentation, and that reaching the end of disc 1 doesn't mean you've finished anything.

For the sake of my OCD, I'll probably edit the metadata when I rip this to Apple Music to indicate that this release is a single CD.

It's unbelievable that someone would design a CD insert that way on purpose. If you put CD 2 in your player and want to hear "Rebuffed", you would go to track 4 on the disc, not track 24.

But if it wasn't done on purpose, it's hard to believe no one noticed, so I'm at a loss here.

It’s been corrected quietly. I’m looking at this on my iPad and it's corrected. On my desktop which I guess has it cached, it’s the original one. 

CE7BB240-8EB1-42D0-8316-01B6F835A3B0.png

2A66C167-FB7C-4FC9-A606-B33445B74CEF.jpeg

desktop screenshot: 

image.png

iPad screenshot:

BE0C36C8-7F69-4ED0-AC6C-E6B172C4CA85.jpeg

Wasn't "Main Title / A Clear and Present Danger (film version)" has already been release on Intrada's set?

Why it stated that this is "contains previously unreleased material"?

I don't want to buy a new set every time for a few unreleased alternate cues. So pass this time.

On 05/07/2022 at 6:41 PM, ManofDestiny said:

Wasn't "Main Title / A Clear and Present Danger (film version)" has already been release on Intrada's set?

Why it stated that this is "contains previously unreleased material"?

The material Intrada put in that track is now the final bonus track here. The actual film version wasn't released before

I just ordered both Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger. For those of you who have been collecting for years how common is it for a soundtrack boutique shop like lalaland or intrada to re-release cd's that have long ago gone out of stock? Is it fairly common or quite rare? 

There are so many out of stock titles I'd love to see brought back. 

• 4 weeks later...

I try to create a playlist to reconstruct the OST from Clear and Present Danger, using the 2022 reissue.

Track 8 of the OST is 5:28 (Escobedo's New Friend).

The combining of the two parts from the Score presentation makes a total of 5:03.

WTF?

That's an easy one, that album track combined pieces of 3 different cues, which are called "Escobedo’s New Friend – Part 2", "Escobedo’s New Friend – Part 1", and "Jack Argues With President" on the 2022 LLL CD.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/117bUYVCSjcwM28N3f30IbMasx0kPzJGe09gNZsx5szM/

Access denied.

Okay, but it need an EDIT to reproduce the album cue, we can't just merge the three tracks.

So I need to purchase the OST, if I really want to listen to the OST program.

Sharing is open now

The order those 3 cues appear in the old album track is Part 2 then Part 1 then Jack Argues With President

This score needs an entry on that Chronological Score website... your spreadsheets follows a logic only you can understand, but I repeat myself, I already told you that. :lol:

It's very logical, it lists the new album on the left and tells you where those cues are on the old OST album on the right.  Simple.

• 2 weeks later...

Two very good scores, but ultimately the real amazing find in both these complete scores was CPD's Don Davis-influenced Woodroom/Finale that was already released on the Intrada. Are the new alternatives to do with the first three minutes of Davis goodness or an edit of the Horner theme at the end? That is, if I buy this new set, do I get new alternatives/ compositions for the final helicopter battle or is it all about edits for Ryan's post-rescue?

To explain further, a key piece of music was missing from the Milan 1994 CD of Clear and Present Danger which was included on the complete edition. It is a fantastic piece and sounds a bit more than more like Don Davis who was orchestrating for Horner at the time (there's also suggestions on the FSM board that Davis did The Ambush, which sounds much more challenging since the first 4-5 minutes are 48 Hours variations)

• 11 months later...

I grabbed Clear and Present Danger last year, and I quite enjoy the orchestral sections of the score, especially the action writing - "The Ambush" is a highlight in that regard. The extended synth/shakuhachi portions do become a little dull after a while though, especially as their musical construction is so simplistic and repetitive. I've made an "orchestra-only" playlist which I honestly prefer to listen to. And while I don't have the older Intrada edition to compare it with, I think the LLL audio sounds good overall.

On another note, I noticed that some of the takes used in the LLL release are different compared to the 1994 OST. What grabbed my attention was the trumpet flub at 3:28 in "Truth Needs a Soldier / End Title" on the LLL, which is not present at the same spot on the OST due to that section of the piece using another take. I haven't checked which take was used on the older Intrada release. I'm not intimately familiar with every track in this score, so there may be other different takes that I haven't picked up on, but the end titles is one of my favourite pieces and so it stood out to me. 

The Main Title, The Ambush and Truth Needs a Soldier are certainly different to the OST, and I think the Intrada release had the wrong takes for some of the film versions.

It's a loooong score, and the synth / sakuhachi cues are not my favorites, but Woodroom / Finale is an absolute highlight.

This score can certainly get the adrenaline pumping.

Due to this post bump I ran over to Lala and purchased Danger for $20. Hoping they lump it with LW which hasn’t shipped yet so I don’t pay double for shipping. These rerereleases are going to put me in the poor house lol.

I already have the Intrada edition (still sealed )of A CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER. Do I need to really upgrade this as well? 

Same with GORKY PARK but that one has some substantial improvement so I am going for it.

I swear by the LLLR version, and have passed on my Intrada copy for someone else to discover flipping through CDs.

Sound quality there is a slight improvement (IMHO), and having the actual film version of the  Main Title and The Ambush are the key reasons I upgraded.

So I ordered this along with GORKY PARK and LOST WORLD. The irony is I already have expanded versions of these titles and yet these newly ordered are expansions of the previous expanded albums. Hilarious.

I ordered Patriot Games along with The Lost World. I don't own the OST or previous expansions for either score, so I'm very keen to listen through them. I've read online that Patriot Games is more atmospheric and ambient compared to Clear and Present Danger, which is often described as an action score.