Name Film Scores that are often considered “GREAT” but you just don’t like?

Mr. Gitz

Isn't "An Ocean of Memories" written for the original ending of the film that Cameron wisely axed from the final cut?

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't "An Ocean of Memories" written for the original ending of the film that Cameron wisely axed from the final cut?

Yes. I like the cue on its own as a bonus piece removed from the main program but when restored to that scene (scored mostly by choppy tracking as released), it just makes it even worse!

But why Cameron didn't allow Horner to re-score the new ending for the movie instead of tracking it with Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave and others? Was that an Attack of the Clones-like situation?

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Yikes! This ending is kinda terrible. 

This thread is amazing! 😃

Soundtrack fans who dislike Hook and LOTR… Blade Runner, I can understand, it is not really mainstream in spite of its cult status… But still… these are cornerstones of modern film music.

And some soundtrack fans don’t like it.

Scandal!

But… not everyone has to like the same thing.

However, it’s important to remember that just because you don’t like a thing doesn’t mean it’s not great (or reverse: just because you like a thing doesn’t make it’s great).

Not really music related, but I’ve read many books that are considered to be the greatest in history, by authors who invented new genres and new ways of writing… and I’ve found them utterly boring. But I am sure that if I studied up, understood the context or had more appreciation for the historical era/genre/sub-genre/style I am sure I would have been ecstatic! But alas, no. But my humble opinion do not unmake a great thing.

And this is the same and I love it!

My secret shame: Catch Me If You Can.

I can’t catch it. I don’t want to catch it. It’s not catchy, lol ; )

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

😃

However, it’s important to remember that just because you don’t like a thing doesn’t mean it’s not great (or reverse: just because you like a thing doesn’t make it’s great).

Indeed. I am aware that both THE MISSION, and SCHINDLER'S LIST, are two of the greatest film scores ever written. I appreciate them, but I just don't like them.

13 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Indeed. I am aware that both THE MISSION, and SCHINDLER'S LIST, are two of the greatest film scores ever written. I appreciate them, but I just don't like them.

If we're talking about major scores that we respect and recognise as fine compositions, but don't enjoy as music:

(some more than others - I have a handful of tracks for some of these, but on the bigger scale the score doesn't overall really do it for me)

Schindler's List

CE3K

Raiders

Star Wars (all OT, AotC)

Jaws

Superman

I'm also not a massive fan of Hook. I have a fantastic 50-minute set created from LLL's set and have no need for whatever may be included in a future edition.

You'll notice these are all pre 80s (or that sort of era). Other composers have the same deal - JNH, Goldsmith, Newman, Horner - I generally don't like their older work.

On 15/07/2022 at 12:32 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

You can be blasé about many things, but not about Titanic.

I always like the cue that follows the part where the captain says, "Icebergs do not concern me, admiral. I want that ship, not excuses." Its thrlling!

On 15/07/2022 at 10:26 PM, Edmilson said:

It's the theme that appears here (1:32 to 2:20)

Actually, An Ocean of Memories is by far the best cue in the OST (probably because it's more traditional Horner). It's super sad that it went mostly unused. I assume JH wrote it for the finale, but then Cameron rejected it in favor of tracked stuff from elsewhere.

Man, that's such a great cue; I admit, I often overlook it.

You're right though, it's the most 'Hornerish' thing in the entire score... especially that mid-section that sounds like a preview to A NEW WORLD... something that we didn't get to hear until almost a decade later. Gorgeous.   

• 3 weeks later...

After several attempts, I've never been able to get into any of the Back to the Future scores.

I love Horner, but Glory mostly leaves me cold, aside from the old timey marches and maybe some of the boy soprano bits near the very end.

I've also never warmed to Lawrence of Arabia, despite a great appreciation for old school epics in general.

This thread is amazing and I appreciate the way it sheds light on how different our tastes really are, even as fans of such a niche genre.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2022 at 5:45 PM, Mr. Gitz said:

This is a joke? Or are you serious? If so…wow. *any* Jerry Goldsmith score? 

I mean…Chinatown? Star Trek TMP? Rudy? The Mummy? Poltergeist? 

Poltergeist! I saw the movie when it was released in Australia. I was about 10 or 11.  That movie scared the hell out of me, so much in fact that apart from Carrol Ann's Theme (which still creeps me sometimes) and the playful neighborhood music at the start of the score and film, the thought of listening to the score is honestly unsettling. I actually listened to it last walk while on a long walk, and I loved it and of course thought it was brilliant... but still, the scared little boy in me still says "don't listen - they'll come if you listen!"

That was possibly my only second complete listen since the score was first released back in I think 1997. I since upgraded to the FSM version, but yeah, the experience of getting scared as a kid really had an impact on me! Maybe I should see the film again and I'll probably (hopefully) realize it's not as scary as I remember it now that I'm 40 years older!