Interesting POA photos, let the darkness begin

JoeinAR

A picture of the New Dumbledore can be found by clicking on the entertainment link, and then on Caution: Wizard at work, to see Dumbledore, then click on Dumbledore to see a beautiful shot of Hermione in Harry's arms.

Is this the scene where Harry and Hermione are confronted by the Dementors? 10 months and a few days to go!

Gambon looks amazingly like Richard Harris, and will do a great job I am sure.

Cuaron's tenure is a one shot deal. His team has spent six months on the dementors alone. I am really getting excited.

The article talks about who might be the director of Goblet of Fire, which is scheduled for a November 5, 2005 release.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pic of Gambon looks good, but it's hard to tell how he'll compare to Harris, even visually, with such a small photo. Thpugh I do hope he speaks more loudly and clearly; I always imagine Dumbledore to have a strong, yet gentle voice, and Harris never really captured that . . .

Anyway, I love that pic of Harry and Hermione. It looks like something out of a teen horror flick, which is a good thing. This film need to be more dark and serious (no pun intended). I'm getting really excited too, Joe! I have a great feeling about this one.

Ray Barnsbury

it appears to me to be towards the end when the dementors attack.

I hope we can see hundreds of Dementors in the finale. That would be oh so sweet. :)

Justin -Hoping 3 doesn't seem as forced as Chamber.

wow that pic of radcliffe and watson is amazing. i didn't see the other ones. i can't wait.. . . ..i have a really good feeling about this.

This isn't a battle between Cauron and Columbus, Cauron is a hired gun, and his boss is Columbus, so this isn't a competition, this is about making the best movie possible. Cauron has the advantage of having the best book to work with at this point. Columbus had the disadvantage of getting the story going, and following it up with what everyone thinks is the least of the 5 books. Columbus had a very short time table that thankfully neither Cauron, nor the directors of the next films will have to follow.

I never saw it as a competition.

But you bring up good points, Joe, that I had not thought of. Then again, the third film might be a let-down too. I honestly DON'T KNOW. Can't wait for a trailer though.

- Marc

1968052.jpg

From the SciFi Channel's news, reporting on the Newsweek story:

And, the magazine reported, Cuarón has reimagined the role of Professor Dumbledore after Richard Harris' death. British actor Michael Gambon now plays the Hogwarts headmaster as an elegant old hippie, Newsweek reported.

elegant old hippie?? WTF?!

I think if Columbus did this one he would falter badly. He is burnt out from the last two, there is no break. Usually when you do sequels you have breaks to collect yourself creatively. And besides, this is much more Cuaron's realm with the whole teenage stuff. Columbus might not be able to give us more of a dark and older tone.

i think these pictures are absolutely amazing. The Sun has some new ones up with Hermione pinning Draco. I think this will be excellent. I guess they are giving up on the cloaks. that's good too.

I don't think Gambon looks as much as Dumbledore as I imagined him as did Harris (hm...is this correct English??). But I think Hermione looks great!

i think these pictures are absolutely amazing. The Sun has some new ones up with Hermione pinning Draco.  I think this will be excellent.

Feel like sharing that link, Ren?

I guess they are giving up on the cloaks. that's good too.

Oh I like the uniforms, and I'm missing them already.

Neil

About the uniforms, I'm not clear on if they've been done away with completely or not, but the kids didn't wear them all the time in the previous films anyway. The climax of SS sees them all in normal clothes rather than robes. Perhaps they just wear them for school. The recent pic of Maggie Smith and the kids, however, looks like a class getting out, and they're wearing regular clothes, so I don't know (BTW, wear are they in that pic???) In any case, I don't think it would bother me too much if the robes were taken out; it might give the film a more real and natural feel . . . then again, it's supposed to be a fantasy . . .

Ray Barnsbury-indecisive

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-20033...3350441,00.html

I realy don't like Cuaron, i think he is going to make a bad movie.

Did you actually seen any of his previous work, or is your opinion based on...nothing?

Stefancos- who has not seen anything of this director and therefore has an open mind.

The recent pic of Maggie Smith and the kids, however, looks like a class getting out, and they're wearing regular clothes, so I don't know (BTW, wear are they in that pic???)

Hogsmeade visit? I don't remember if they're wearing robes there in the books, but I see no reason for them to do so.

In any case, I don't think it would bother me too much if the robes were taken out; it might give the film a more real and natural feel . . . then again, it's supposed to be a fantasy . . .

I very much hope they didn't get rid of the robes totally, I expect they're still wearing them at school. Real? I think for that type of school, having to wear robes is very real. And I'd say it's supposed to be a fantasy that seems as real as possible. :)

Marian - very excited after seeing these and the ROTK trailer.

Real? I think for that type of school, having to wear robes is very real. And I'd say it's supposed to be a fantasy that seems as real as possible.

Yeah, that's basically how I could see it being both a benefit and a negative thing.

Ray Barnsbury

well, i don't think much about the fact that they aren't wearing their uniforms. i know that when Harry, Ron and Hermione leave Hagrids - they are underneath the invisibility cloak so I don't see much need for robes on top of that.

I have a completely open mind when it comes to POA. It will be fine. I'm really excited. There really is room to grow in the HP movies. It just bugs me when other people are so pessimistic about it. But to each their own.

Both of the films that I saw Cuaron direct are brilliant. A little Princess was charming and E Tu Mama Tambien was incredible. Why do you not like him?

The regular clothes is not the problem in itself,the problem is do the specific clothes they wear in the pics somehow match the book characters?

Harry should be wearing what appears as Dudley's hand me downs.

Ron should be wearing clothes that appear fabricated by his mom.

Hermione is a geeky bookworm,so I dunno about the Britney outfit.

K.M.

Good points, KM. Though it's still pretty important, I'm not worrying as much about stuff like that as I am as hoping for a better film in other aspects, like dialogue, pacing, etc.

Ray Barnsbury

Good points, KM.  Though it's still pretty important, I'm not worrying as much about stuff like that as I am as hoping for a better film in other aspects, like dialogue, pacing, etc.

The only thing that really hurt the pacing is the edits forced by the suits at Warner Bros. who couldn't care less about the flow of the story as long they might be able to get an extra showing a day by cutting down the running time. This is likely going to happen with PoA as well regardless of the directorial change. Dialogue itself isn't likely to be much different from the previous two movies with Steve Kloves returning as screenwriter.

And concerning the school uniforms, they haven't been chucked, as this picture (not so) clearly shows. The costume designer seems to have added the house colours to inner lining of the robes now, so it can't be from the first or second films.

KM, I think Harry wears what he wants at school. He has school clothes. I don't remember Harry ever wearing hand-me downs after the first book.

Great points IrishCal. I do agree with KM's remark about Hermione looking like Britney.

I don't know if you have noticed. But she has been wearing the pink shirt in 3 or 4 different scenes. I don't think it's the "same day" in the shreiking shack and the hogsmeade visit. I hope they don't change a ton of that stuff.

I also pictured the dementor/shack scenes in a pale blue night time look, I hope they add that in later.

There is speculation that these are rehersal photos.

at the bottom of one of the pictures it says:

For authenticity, Cuaron dressed his cast in hip teen gear, and occasionally the actors' own clothing.

It is a bit concerning. All the scenes in Newsweek seem to be from the June 6th scene. The pumpkins in Hagrid's garden, the Shrieking Shack, and I'm guessing that pic of Harry and Hermione is Lupin turning into a werewolf off screen. But the article from the Sun has Hermione threatening Malfoy in the same outfit, and that took place right after a Care of Magical Creatures Class. Hmm...

- Marc

See this is exactly why i don't like Cuaron, these kids should not be wearing regular clothes. This is suppose to be a magical world, that won't be believable when the kids are wearing Levis and jumpers. :roll:

HPFAN, they do were regular clothes, and Hermione gets her's from muggle parents afterall. They don't always where robes in the books, often time just regular cloths, especially to Hogsmead. Besides jeans are the most universal of all cloths. And clothes are the least of things, if this story is presented properly this will be the best HP film yet, at least until GOF.

Is that true? About the clothes I mean. I can't remember Rowling giving specifics, just in book 1 that "first year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hides or similar)

4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags."

A couple of things strike me about this. 1) the pointed hats seem to be to Rowling what the size of a Hobbit is to Tolkien. It's mentioned, but often left out of sight until someone happens to take off his hat for some reason. Although one might think that with all the running Harry does he should lose it somewhere along the way. 2) all pupils wear name tags, yet a lot of things suggest the opposite. Not that it is clearly stated that they don't anywhere, but just by the way people interact and stuff, it doesn't seem they do have those tags (is this making sense?).

Note that in the movie, when the kids arrive, they all Hogwarts badges and robes, yet once they are sorted, they have "magically" (no pun intended) acquired house batches and robes. Of course the movie strays from the books in a lot of places designwise.

- Marc.

Those badges are just put on their regular robes.

and I think it's a great idea for them to be in normal clothes, especially for Hogsmeade. And didn't I already bring up the fact that Watson was wearing the same clothes for different days? I just hope Cuaron isn't condensing it THAT MUCH.

HPFAN, often time just regular cloths, especially to Hogsmead.

From the book: "Harry Shivered; unlike the other two he didn't have his cloak. -Ron and Hermoine shouting through there scarves."

That was all from Hogsmeade. So nothing can excuse the fact that he is taking liberties with the movie.

You have to agree with HPFAN. As much faith I have in Cuaron directing, where's the escapism, the magic, in kids wearing regular clothes? Without robes they aren't wizards. They are normal kids pointing sticks to each other.

I don't really think Rowling meant for them to wear robes in their free time? I mean, what does Mrs Weasley make those jumpers for, for example? Also, I don't really think that Hogsmeade quote proves much...."cloak" doesn't have to refer to their regular school robes.

Marian - who hasn't seen any shot looking as impressive as that pic with Maggie Smith in both Columbus-directed movies.

when they confront Aragog they are wearing regular clothes. Its not the first time this is happened.

When Harry sat in front of the mirror of erised, he was wearing regular cloths, when he confronted Voldemort in HPSS/HPPS he was wearing regular cloths.

when they confront Aragog they are wearing regular clothes.  Its not the first time this is happened.

When Harry sat in front of the mirror of erised, he was wearing regular cloths, when he confronted Voldemort in HPSS/HPPS he was wearing regular cloths.

Yeah,but not the studied "urban gear" look.

BTW,they all wear hats and robes in a lot of the book cover illustrations,and on the PoA cover when they ride Buckbeak they have robes.

K.M.

I don't see the "urban gear look you are referring too, looks like some cloths from Old Navy to me, and the cover illustrations are not necessarily representative of what is exactly going on.

from what I understand the big complaint is that people don't picture students wearing these type of clothes at Hogwarts.Private boarding schools still have dress codes besides the uniforms.i wen't to a private highschool,and while there was no uniform as such,there were no jeans and sweatshirts allowed either.

K.M.

well i really think we are making a big deal about nothing. Let's have an open mind here and wait for the film to come out before we start knocking it.

BTW,they all wear hats and robes in a lot of the book cover illustrations,and on the PoA cover when they ride Buckbeak they have robes.

Yeah well, Ron is wearing a mouse hat on some Italian book cover, and JKR herself had no idea what that was about.

Marian - LOL

well i really think we are making a big deal about nothing.  Let's have an open mind here and wait for the film to come out before we start knocking it.

You're right, but a little debating never hurts. :)

- Marc

BTW, the Dutch covers don't ever show any of the main characters, at least not clear or so that you can see their faces. The French covers look like crap, though.

Look I think they are basing the clothing, as did Rowling, after the English boarding schools, which I went to one for 6 years. During classes and school things you wear your school uniform, and on weekends and off times you wear your own clothes.