Bear McCreary's BLAZING SAMURAI (aka Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank) (2022)

Jay

1400x1400bb.webp

1. Blazing Samurai (feat. Michael K. Lee) (1:26)
2. The Coolest Cat (feat. Adrienne Warren) (2:33)
3. Samurai for Dummies (2:50)
4. Kakamucho Under Attack (2:19)
5. Ikachu (1:36)
6. The Shogun (2:02)
7. Hank’s Escape (2:51)
8. Hank Meets Jimbo (2:57)
9. Signing the Contract (4:02)
10. Fireside Flashback (1:13)
11. Enter the Sumo (3:07)
12. Sumo Fight (1:46)
13. Origami (2:48)
14. Torn Contract (2:23)
15. Jimbo’s Sacrifice (4:07)
16. The Battle of Kakamucho (5:37)
17. Showdown on the Super Bowl (2:40)
18. Samurai Hank (7:39)

https://us.7digital.com/artist/bear-mccreary/release/paws-of-fury-the-legend-of-hank-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-22273639

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/paws-of-fury-the-legend-of-hank-bear-mccreary/hasle0ajmy01a

https://tidal.com/browse/album/235054131

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4Z1983T

https://open.spotify.com/album/03EkzFztEsKcSQIkQKIHF8?si=qg3q1eEgRuGlNwXjjhgYWQ

So I'm now on my second listen of this OST album and I love it!  It's one of the best random new score albums I've checked out in a long time, took me completely by surprise!

Not only is the score good, but the album opens up with 2 songs first, and those are actually really good too!  I can't even remember the last time that was the case for me.

The score is just super fun, energetic, charming, catchy... it reminds me of a fun Powell score, but also older action/adventure scores too.

It's great!  I'd embed a track or to, but for some reason this isn't on youtube yet, even though it's on all the other platforms.  Weird.

So am I and @JNHFan2000 the only people on all of JWFan who like this score?

I think it's great and that a lot of JWFanners would like it!

One thing that impresses me about the album is that the opening songs are actually good!

I dunno, it's got everything fans of the classic orchestral film score are always complaining is missing from most modern film scores!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

One thing that impresses me about the album is that the opening songs are actually good!

Given it a couple of listens and also really enjoying it, much more so than Animal Crackers which I found a bit exhausting after a while. Definitely a bit of Kung Fu Panda (never a bad thing) in there plus the hints of 70s Schifrin etc. that McCreary has talked about. Also really enjoyed the songs and they fit well alongside the tone of the score.

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Animal Crackers which I found a bit exhausting after a while

Me too!

Yet sadly that one got a physical CD and this one doesn't :( 

Animal Crackers was still better than 90% of things out there. 

I can probably agree with the term exhausting though. This was great from beginning to end. Easily Powell levels. That had to be the inspiration.

On 19/07/2022 at 4:12 PM, Jay said:

Doesn't Blazing Samurai sound a little bit too much like Alan Menken's Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas?

On 23/7/2022 at 12:01 PM, GerateWohl said:

Doesn't Blazing Samurai sound a little bit too much like Alan Menken's Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas?

That works. 

I was thinking more the minor-key bridge of Blazing Saddles…

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to this score this afternoon and am surprised again by how much I love it

I can't even think of the last time a score came out of nowhere to surprise me this positively!

It almost makes me want to see the movie just to know the context for this music!

On 04/08/2022 at 9:47 PM, Jay said:

It almost makes me want to see the movie just to know the context for this music!

I watched it for this reason at home tonight.

It's quite standard animation fare with some fun stuff. Mel Brooks & George Takei are both very funny.

Made a chronological order

1. Blazing Samurai
  2. Ikachu
  3. Kakamucho Under Attack
  4. The Shogun
  5. Hank's Escape
  6. Hank Meets Jimbo
  7. Signing The Contract
  8. Samurai For Dummies (1:02 - end)
  9. Fireside Flashbacj
  10. Samurai For Dummies (0:00-1:02)
  11. Enter The Sumo
  12. Sumo Fight
  13. Origami
  14. Torn Contract
  15. Jimbo's Sacrifice
  16. The Battle Of Kakamucho
  17. Showdown On The Super Bowl
  18. Samurai Hank
  19. The Coolest Cat

• 4 months later...

I watched this movie on the plane ride home from Italy yesterday.... well, I watched most of it, I actually fell asleep towards the end so don't really know what happened in the last 10 minutes or so lol

It was nice to get a context for the music!  But, it wasn't very good otherwise; There was a bunch of funny and clever moments, good voice acting, etc, but it had that modern ADD pacing I usually can't jive with.  Spider-verse was fine but this was too much.

It was so obvious watching that the film was intended to be called Blazing Samurai and only got its dumb new title thanks to some marketing executive at the last minute.  Another thing I was surprised by was that the Coolest Cat song only plays in the end credits - I have to wonder if there was a deleted scene it would have been in that got cut out?

Several key sequences were scored by existing needle-dropped songs that were all terrible!  However, other than that, Bear's score shined through and really elevated the movie!  He really did a good job here.  I'm listening to the album again on spotify now and enjoying it all over again.  I wish I could buy it on physical CD!

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody else on JWFan seen this movie?

Does anybody on JWFan think that this is one of the 10 best scores of 2022?

It was nice. Nothing truly special although I had a fun time. The best thing about it are the voice acting and score.

And it's shame this score doesn't get talled bout a lot, because what McCreary has done is nothing short of remarkable. There are all these different styles of music, so you would think it wouldn't work, but it absolutely does. Add to that a few magnificent themes and just straight up fun. What more could you want!!!