Ms. Marvel is great!!!

Jay

I'm on a kick of not watching trailers (of things I'm gonna watch no matter what) so I just scrubbed to the end to see if there was a date.  And there is!  June 8th.  Good summer fun.

This means Disney+ will be running Obi-Wan and Ms Marvel simultaneously for 4 weeks, something they have avoided doing until now

Huh, you're right.

2022 MCU shows are Moon Knight (6), Ms Marvel (6), What If 2 (9), She Hulk (10), the Giacchino werewolf thing (1), and the GOTG holiday special (1).  That's 33 weeks.

2022 SW shows are Boba Fett (7), Obi-Wan (6), Andor (12), Ashoka (unknown, let's guess 8), and maybe Mando 3 (probably 8 again).  That's 41 weeks

Damn.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Huh, you're right.

2022 MCU shows are Moon Knight (6), Ms Marvel (6), What If 2 (9), She Hulk (10), the Giacchino werewolf thing (1), and the GOTG holiday special (1).  That's 33 weeks.

2022 SW shows are Boba Fett (7), Obi-Wan (6), Andor (12), Ashoka (unknown, let's guess 8), and maybe Mando 3 (probably 8 again).  That's 41 weeks

Damn.

but ashoka comes in 2023 right? 

If not, then good news hehe

As far as I know Disney hasn't announced whether Ashoka and/or Mando 3 will air in 2022 or 2023.  I was just speculating

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

No doubt the review bombing bigots achieved their goal through IMDb. Even my wife who was super excited to watch this show for months was iffy about starting it due to the low 6.2 rating… but I got her to try it and WOW this might be our favorite MCU Disney+ show yet, if it can deliver on what the wonderful first two episodes promise.

Yavar

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Not bad news. It will take time for people to accept a middle eastern heroine. Also, the show was a smash hit among Gen Z, which was their target audience.

I'm kinda done with the 'it takes time for people to accept...' statement by a lot of people. I know that, unfortunately, that's what our world looks like with still a lot of people who think like that, but it's just something I can't wrap my head around.

On 19/06/2022 at 8:12 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

No doubt the review bombing bigots achieved their goal through IMDb. Even my wife who was super excited to watch this show for months was iffy about starting it due to the low 6.2 rating… but I got her to try it and WOW this might be our favorite MCU Disney+ show yet, if it can deliver on what the wonderful first two episodes promise.

Yavar

so far it's the most solid show, if i can even say that having seen only two

i like how wandavision starts but by the end it develops into whatever that is

WandaVision would have kept the crown as the best Marvel show if it wasn't for the last episode (which, I realize, was a victim of Covid...the last two episodes actually).

Honestly my favorite completed MCU Disney+ show so far is Moon Knight. But I think Ms. Marvel may top it!

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Amer said:

Check out my city Karachi in Episode 4. My dads cousin [Sharmeen Obaid] is the director of this series. And she is already has won 2 Oscars!

Whoa! Congrats!

5 hours ago, Amer said:

Check out my city Karachi in Episode 4. My dads cousin [Sharmeen Obaid] is the director of this series. And she is already has won 2 Oscars!

I heard an article on this, this morning, on the "Today" programme, on BBC Radio 4.

MCU is best when you rather feel disturbed by the superhero stuff and think, nice and interesting story, good characters, but why does now this superhero thing kick in?

Unless it is directed by the Russo brothers. Then Marvel is best with the superhero stuff. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ms. Marvel 1x02 Crushed

Well that was just as much fun as the first episode!  Sadly the fun comic book-y transitions were absent - hopefully those come back in future episodes!  But the text messages still taking over various background items is still such a treat.

I absolutely loved the montage of her training with Bruno, trying to get a hold of her powers and how they work - this was very nice to see!  I like how Bruno told her the bangle just unlocked something, and that the power comes from within her.

This "new senior kid" that shows up - I knew immediately that he was more than just some random kid - but I figured he was a plant from Damage Control, so didn't see it coming that he was actually there because of her powers, and is the son of the lady Kamala has been seeing in visions!  I love how optimistic and happy the show continues to be, the big music moment (Love that song!) of her going to school happy to have a new crush was super fun.

The minor subplot where Kamala's friend Nakia wants to run for the board at their mosque was ok, as was the strange reveal that there's a shoe thief there; A future crime for Kamala to solve?

I loved the climax that involves Kamala having to use her powers to save a kid, and really stumbling and bumbling her way through it and almost not saving him - the best part was the mini-triumphant moment where she images all the praise she will get.  I loved that Damage Control showed up immediately and she had to escape them too.

This show is great!

Ms. Marvel 1x03 Destined 

I liked the early exposition dump about who the Clandestines are, that Kamala's great-grandmother was one of them, and that Kamala's bangle might be able to help them get home.  The way it opened with an actual flashback to 1942 where the woman from Kamala's visions (Kamram's mother), Najma, finds the bangle in rubble was really neat.  I also liked the humorous moment of relief for Kamala when she learns Kamram is actually 17 and some some ancient immortal :lol: 

I liked Bruno's apprehension about all this new info, and the Clandestine's motives; him warning her it may be dangerous nicely sets them up to lose patience, and turn on Kamala later in the episode.  And he makes her a mask!  I am now thinking she will keep getting more pieces of her final costume throughout the rest of the series...

Boy was it rude for the Damage Control agent to not take her shoes off at Kamala and Nakia's mosque, and I liked that Nakia questioned their motives.  And she won that board spot!

The wedding was super fun!  I loved the pure joy, and all the dancing, etc.  I was so bummed when the Clandestines had to come in and crash it, and that Kamala had to be the one to pull the fire alarm and get everyone out of there.  The fight sequences that ensued were all really well-done!  I liked that there was different stuff going on, in different locations (the kitchen, the main ball room, etc).  it was interesting that it all came to and end Najma trying to use the bangle and a vision of a train shows up and knocks everyone out, and all the Clandestine get captured by Damage Control!  I liked that Nakia got to see Kamala using her powers, and I liked the littletag where Tyesha and another bride are outside and complement each other :)

Interesting ending where Kamala's grandmother said she saw the train too, and that she must come to Karachi!

I really liked the final episode of the series.

I think it's great that they kept the whole thing on a logical scale and not suddenly make it bigger. It really fit the character.

I'll put some things in spoilers

Spoiler
  • The way she found her name was really great. A perfect way to link her culture to who she is as a hero. The same way here logo is part of her name in Pakistani.
  • And I think that what Bruno says means Kamala is a Mutant. And that means she is the first official mutant in our universe of the MCU. That is great!!! Karpman even uses a small statement on synths of the X-Men TV Series theme!!!!!
  • The end credits scene was a bit of a mindfuck. I don't know what's going on, but I am intrigued. It was cool to see Brie Larson.

I really love this show. Don't care what anyone says.

For me it was a almost perfect execution.

The music by Karpman was great as well. Glad she's getting more work from Marvel. And excited to hear what she does with The Marvels

Ms Marvel 1x04 Seeing Red

Huh.  When the last episode ended with Kamala's grandmother telling them they had to come to Karachi, I wasn't expecting this episode to just start with them already on the plane to go there!  The scene with Kamala and her mother talking past the random passenger was funny.

It actually was pretty cool that this entire episode was set in Karachi; It made for a nice, and unexpected change of pace!  Of course that meant a lot of the story and characters (Bruno, Nakia, Kamala's dad) we'd been following for 3 episodes didn't appear, but that's OK.  I liked that with The Clandestines captured by Damage Control, we get introduced to a new faction here - the Red Daggers, who were pretty cool.  I also liked that the first one she meets (Kareem) could be another love interest, and that she learned some cool info and go to do some training.

Then the Clandestines escape from Damage Control anyway, and show up in Karachi in no time flat!  Do they have teleportation powers, or did they somehow take commercial flights without being caught, and Kamala trained for a couple days before everything went to hell?

Another pretty good mega fight scene to bring a climax to the episode, with both one of the Red Daggers and one of the Clandestines getting killed!  And then it all ends with Kamala jumping into a flashback!?

Ms. Marvel 1x05 Time and Again

I was genuinely bored and disinterested in the first half of this episode.  On paper, it should have been neat to see Aisha's story depicted, but something about the way it was all presented surprisingly didn't work for me.  It was cute I guess to reveal that somehow time-traveling Kamala was the light that led to her great-grandfather finding her grandmother and getting them to Pakistan safely but other than that I wasn't that into all this.

Once we rejoined modern day I liked the rest of the episode just fine!  The gateway to the Clandestine's dimension is open, but why does it kill the Clandestines when they try to enter?  How was Najma able to close it, and how did she transfer her powers (?) to Kamran before doing so? Why did closing phortal kill her?

It was really cute that her mom showed up in time to see her using her powers, and came to accept her (and her family's history).  It's kinda weird that so many people died, and the Clandestines story seems over already?  Apart from Kamran, who finds Bruno and he helps him out, which was nice.... until Damage Control shows up again!  Damn!

I reckon the show was fine but was clearly a more typical "Disney" type of a show. Aimed at much younger audience than me. I stuck around mostly because the actors are all likeable.

Karol

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh? 

16 hours ago, Counterparts said:

Kamala doesnt actually find out any of the stuff we are seeing.

The stuff in the beginning all occurs prior to Kamala's arrival in the past, so she doesn't experience it herself or learn anything else about the Noor/Clandestines from it.

On 15/3/2022 at 11:11 AM, mstrox said:

Ms. Marvel looks like a lot of fun - I like the hyperstylized stuff - something different.  Hopefully it’s used throughout the series and not mostly forgotten about after the intro.

As I suspected, the hyperstylized stuff MOSTLY went away after the second episode - but, show was still a lot of fun!  And the score!!

On 15/3/2022 at 8:32 AM, Stu said:

With the sheer amount of Marvel shows coming it was gonna be impossible to keep that up.  At a certain point we're gonna have Marvel shows running simultaneously.

Not just Marvel shows, everything. My watch list if full of shows that I'll never get to.

Choice and variety are...nice. But there's just such a huge ocean of content out there, half the time when I'm looking for something to watch I can't be bothered to invest the time to wade through the possibilities, end up watching something I've seen a dozen times before. ROTFLMAO

I’m a little grateful for the few weeks of downtime before the Marvel and Star Wars machines grind on, to be honest!  But 40-50 min a week isn’t a huge commitment.

Been catching up on the final season of The X-Files (some of which has been great, haters-be-damned) in the meantime and thinking about jumping back onboard Better Call Saul after that.

Ms. Marvel 1x06 No Normal

Well, this was a great finale to what turned out to be a great series!!

Exciting open with Bruno and Kamran on the run from Damage Control, and they ever placed it before the opening Marvel Studios logo, which only added to the intensity and urgency of the situation.

I loved Kamala being back home and getting the support from her whole family, though it seemed odd how quickly her final costume came together (there should have been more elements sprinkled in throughout the season; did the necklace fragment from last week even appear again?).  The way all the characters came together in the high school to help get Kamran to safety was awesome; Not only a good setting-everything-up montage but then the assault was cool and fun too.  And they even managed to sneak in an almost-kiss between Kamala and Kamran!

I thought it was interesting that Damage Control manages to successfully capture everyone except Kamala and Kamran, and that lead to a nice showdown outside.  I didn't' really understand how Kamran's powers worked, and exactly how much control of them he has, but I liked how his being green and Kamala's being blue led to it always being easy to follow what was going on.  I was also surprised at the end when the Damage Control agent there got talked down to from the Succession guy, because I had thought up until this point they were equal partners.

I liked the big goofy wrap-up happy ending, especially the talk Kamala has with her father, when she settles on the Ms Marvel name and jumps off happy.  Great ending to a great season!

The extra bonus scenes were also fun

Spoiler

I liked that Bruno is actually going to Cal Tech and isn't like, staying behind just for Kamala or something; And then when he tells her he looked into her genetics more and had new information I was bracing for something that could have been either really silly or really cool.... and never would have expected in a million years for him to say "mutation" as the theme from the 90's X-Men cartoon played!  That was so hilarious, I laughed out loud, and then had to explain it to my wife after the episode.

The next bit where Kamala in her room zapping out and Carol Danvers zapping in was cool too!  I had expected the whole season that Brie Larson would show up at some point, but by the time we got to the end I had forgotten about it.  I assume this is actually a brief clip of The Marvels, and now I'm bummed that is pushed back to next freaking July, a whole year from now (it was originally supposed to come out this November).  Bummer!  I hope Ms. Marvel gets a second season as well!

Here's something interesting;  Apparently the organization chasing our heroes was originally NICE, and not Damage Control, and they changed it to Damage Control in post-production!

Interesting comic “fact” - Ms. Marvel is actually an Inhuman in the comics.  At the time of her character’s creation, Marvel Comics was using the Inhumans banner to create new enhanced characters because calling them “mutants” meant that Fox would be able to use them in movies instead of Marvel Studios.  Now that Disney owns Fox, that conflict is gone and they can call the character whatever they want and retain full ownership.

Another awesome part in episode 6 was when she first puts the costume on (I'm pretty sure that's where this was), the score plays the theme that had been playing under the end credits of all the episodes prior.  It was great!

On 01/07/2022 at 1:48 AM, Amer said:

That's so cool your cousin directed the two Karachi episodes!  Have you gotten any cool stories from her about it?

On 11/07/2022 at 5:58 PM, Edmilson said:

From what I've seen on the internet, the Ms Marvel show has a great start, but it becomes awful with the later episodes. 

Not even close to being true - watch the show yourself and make up your own mind!

On 13/07/2022 at 3:45 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

I really liked the final episode of the series.

I think it's great that they kept the whole thing on a logical scale and not suddenly make it bigger. It really fit the character.

Yes!

I'll put some things in spoilers

Spoiler

The end credits scene was a bit of a mindfuck. I don't know what's going on, but I am intrigued. It was cool to see Brie Larson.

Spoiler

She zapped out, and Carol Danvers zapped in, like they switched places.  I wish we didn't have to wait a whole year to see the other side of this scene!

The music by Karpman was great as well. Glad she's getting more work from Marvel. And excited to hear what she does with The Marvels

I didn't pick up on too much about what the score was doing via watching the episodes 1 time each, but I'm definitely going to check out the score albums now!