Ms. Marvel is great!!!

Jay

7 hours ago, Jay said:

That's so cool your cousin directed the two Karachi episodes!  Have you gotten any cool stories from her about it?

Not even close to being true - watch the show yourself and make up your own mind!

Yes!

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't pick up on too much about what the score was doing via watching the episodes 1 time each, but I'm definitely going to check out the score albums now!

Jay, shes my Dads cousin. There was was PR reel on youtube a few weeks ago. I’ll link up the file for you to see .

I've finished the show now and while the first four episodes were a true blast, I found the two last to be a bit off.

Spoiler

I would definitly have prefered to keep away the whole djinns plot which didn't serve much the story as Damage Control is a sufficient antagonist for a Miss Marvel who's discovering her powers.

Laura Karpman music is really entertaining and fun.

Anyway like with the Hawkeye show this was a very great surprise. Looking forward to her return in The Marvels

1 minute ago, Damien F said:

This is easily one of the nicest TV surprises.

Yes!

It also had a really authentic depiction of a teenage girl's relationship with her parents, especially her mother who was a stand out character for me. It would have been a really obvious trope for the over-protective mother to freak out upon learning that her daughter is the neighborhood super hero, but she was actually quite excited and proud when she found it. That was a very well judged moment.

Yes!

And of course Iman Vellani was just phenomenal! Can't wait to see her in The Marvels. I'm very much looking forward to Kamala meeting Danvers and how Iman plays it.

Yes!

This seems to have both ‘hate bombed’ and ‘love bombed’ on IMDB.

It’s currently at 6.2, which I guess in IMDB terms means that it is “average” - which in reality means that (depending on your preferences) it is anywhere between “bad” and “good”.

But regarding review bombing, when people want to “tilt” the current score, by giving it a much higher or much lower score than it actually deserves or what they actually think… in a “dealing out social justice kind of way” (?).

You think it’s underrated at 6.2 and that it should be at minimum 8? Give it a 10!

You think it’s overrated at 6,2 and that it should be maximum 4? Give it a 1!

Funny thing is, for Ms. Marvel, there seems to be as many positive exaggerators as negative exaggerators… making each exaggeration balance it self out as well.

LOL.

0DD4122B-3889-47B3-912E-8650CDB116DB.jpeg

Why do people care what other people think?  I'd rather read thoughts from people here who have watched the show who share what they thought of it!

I've never rated a movie on IMDB or RT in my life.  I do rate things on Letterboxd occasionally.

About 38,000 people have rated Ms. Marvel on Letterboxd and this is the distribution.  Seems pretty fair:

image.png

https://letterboxd.com/film/ms-marvel/

I really want to use that site to track all the movies i've seen, gotta remember to finish logging all that shit in

Ah OK

Yea, I ended up liking her a lot too - both her mother and her father had an interesting dynamic with each other, and separately with Kamala, and all three together.  Good stuff!

The problem with community ratings (beyond the ratings-bombing) is that everybody has a different concept of what the ratings mean.  Some people look at 1-10 as a continuum where 5 is the average movie.  I have it hardwired in my brain due to years of American public education that 70% is an average C-grade - and that’s how I rate things.  It gives a lot of shades of grey to the dismal movies, but not a lot to the good movies.  It doesn’t matter to me - I’m happy to have 8/9/10 for good movies as good/great/perfect.

20 hours ago, Jay said:

Why do people care what other people think? I'd rather read thoughts from people here who have watched the show who share what they thought of it!

I think no matter which platform is used - IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Letterboxed - it’s good to have a general measurement. And it’s fun to know what the general public thinks and to compare things.

But, as you say, without the personal dimension it’s all a bit arbitrary and superficial. So I read the user reviews and then proceed with caution… I personally don’t trust anything below a 7 and even then I might not end up liking it. But it goes both ways. More often than not, I find the rating on any of the mentioned sites to be wildly inaccurate, for better or for worse.

For example, I thought The Falcon And The Winter Soldier was a bit of a bore. Maybe not bad, but I would think that a 5-6 something rating might be fair. It’s currently at 7.2 on IMDB.

159E9A33-5D33-4932-BFAF-34A90FB6C45A.jpeg

Respectively, I very much enjoyed the movie Interceptor, and I’d think - again - that a rating between 5-6 would be fair. I thought that it was a package of ridiculous fun, but apparently not everyone shared my enjoyment. It’s currently at 4.5 on IMDB.

9C23F711-14E6-4B45-8D10-A718EF490C68.jpeg

But really, is this any different than JWFaners who don’t enjoy the scores for Hook or LOTR? No, of course not. We’re only human.

I'm 4 episodes in and this is the best Marvel Disney+ show by far! Heck, it's the best Marvel content since No Way Home and Far From Home.

It's fun, lighthearted, colourful and - refreshingly - not cynical. Great pace to it, the lead actress is fantastic and (Tom Holland excluded) probably the most instantly likeable character the MCU has ever had. (The same goes for the supporting characters, although Bruno looks and acts like knock-off Tom Holland which is a little distracting).

Marvel should take note from this show that having smaller stakes is exactly what's needed. 

Laura Karpman's score is also one of the best of the MCU. It's the most creative and colorful score I've heard in a while.

I hope the final 2 episodes don't disappoint.

17 hours ago, Anthony said:

I'm 4 episodes in and this is the best Marvel Disney+ show by far!

Yes!

Heck, it's the best Marvel content since No Way Home and Far From Home.

I mean, those weren't even that good.....

It's fun, lighthearted, colourful and - refreshingly - not cynical.

Yes!!  Not being cynical is one of its best attributes!!

Great pace to it, the lead actress is fantastic

She's great!

Bruno looks and acts like knock-off Tom Holland which is a little distracting).

Hehe, I thought the same thing at times

Marvel should take note from this show that having smaller stakes is exactly what's needed. 

YES!!!!

Yes, this is a great show, fits very well alongside Wandavision and Loki in feeling fresh, and also with Moon Knight in being a great example of how the superhero format can be expanded culturally and politically, as well as, very importantly, also highlighting the need to hire key creatives that actually know the cultures they are representing, and using those cultures to rethink the Marvel formula (obviously within corporate confines).

I thought Moon Knight was meh, but liked all those others, so that might mean you'll like it :P 

No, not at all.

It just happens a lot that a lot of people on here don't like something and then I usually think it was really good/great/fantastic. That's all

It's a good thing that different people have different opinions on the same media we all consume and share our thoughts on!

If we all had the same thoughts on everything, it'd be boring conversation!

• 1 month later...

Two of the directors tease a season 2 pickup on Instragram!

I hope it gets renewed, I loved this show.  Easily the only phase 4 MCU content I'd consider re-watching any time soon