Your Top favourite 'Alternate' versions found on Williams' Expansions!

Amer

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

" Fortress of Solitude".

Completely different  cue and very satisfying musically

Yes, interesting choice but I just remembered The Dome Opens from SUPERMAN- Now thats an awesome cue!!!!

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Obviously the alternates from Star Trek: TMP are now classic examples of a composer's original take on key scenes, even more given that the main theme hadn't yet been fully developed/composer. I still prefer the final versions overall, but they are still, to coin a phrase, fascinating.

I'd have gone into this too but the thread is in the JW subforum ;)

Clearly the latter is not Williams and not even an Alternate even as a source cue. Speaking of Source cues- that's another thread :):lol:

8 hours ago, Amer said:

5. Indy Rides the Statue [Concord] - RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

The building brass chords are just terrific. Im not sure if this is really an alternate because the film version appears to be an obvious edit or used from

another version. 

The film version is an edit from the Flying Wing cue.

The actual alternate for the Escaping The Pit cue is very quiet and subdued.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

I thought all these carol arrangements were done by Angela Morley?

Not this one, I expect, since it's a part of the score, not a source cue.

Two of the alternates from Far and Away come to mind: the alternate openings of ‘The Big Match’ and ‘Oklahoma Territory’ are both spectacular in my book! (And quite different.) I’m also very fond of the alternate ‘Car Drives Off’ from Chamber of Secrets. And the alternate ‘Love Scene’ from Dracula is just magnificent…

4 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

I’m also very fond of the alternate ‘Car Drives Off’ from Chamber of Secrets.

I somehow feel like that one should have made it into the main program...

4 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

And the alternate ‘Love Scene’ from Dracula is just magnificent…

That may be number two on my list.

I'm rather partial to the alternate version of The Lost World, the extra stuff going on at the beginning is quite effective. I think the rest is the same as the final version. What is it with JW and alternate openings?! See also my comments on ET as well as those alternate versions of opening fanfare from the Star Wars main titles. I guess we could also call the slightly different version used in Empire as an "alternate" to the original arrangement from ANH, although I can't recall if it changed again after Empire, but I think it remained relatively stable after that, although knowing JW he probably fiddled around with it more subtly over the years. Similar to Jerry doing a slightly different version of the TMP theme in STV and the later films, but I wouldn't want to intrude on a JW thread ;-)

12 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Nevermind, I somehow missed that we were talking specifically about Williams expansions.

So did I, but not sure yet another new thread for everyone else seems entirely necessary, but there are plenty of other interesting ones out there.

Of course a different thread for favorite non-Williams alternates would be welcome

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Of course a different thread for favorite non-Williams alternates would be welcome

I made one at FSM also for both Williams and Non-Williams:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=148285&forumID=1&archive=0

@Amer This thread has sort of inspired me to put together a playlist of rejected Williams.  Might be fun to create a listening experience of all of these deep cuts.

5 hours ago, Andy said:

@Amer This thread has sort of inspired me to put together a playlist of rejected Williams.  Might be fun to create a listening experience of all of these deep cuts.

@Andyexactly what I intend to do. Please do share your list here. Thanks! 

So many great tracks already mentioned, but I alway enjoy

Children’s Suite for Orchestra - Although never intended to be included in the movie, these arrangements are precious.

The E.T. Adventure - It doesn’t really have the same character as the film soundtrack but I do think this is a historical and important piece.

45 minutes ago, rough cut said:

So many great tracks already mentioned, but I alway enjoy

Children’s Suite for Orchestra - Although never intended to be included in the movie, these arrangements are precious.

The E.T. Adventure - It doesn’t really have the same character as the film soundtrack but I do think this is a historical and important piece.

It looks a little bit like you mixed up the alternates thread with the concert arrangement thread.

Yeah. But I think, all alternates which are accounted for alternates on the expansion all interesting ones are mentioned already.

I could still mention the "worst" alternate or my least favourite one. It is the "pop version" of Can You Read My Mind which is on the 2000 expansion of the Superman expansion.

That’s a guilty pleasure for me. But I’m probably if an age where that dated pop sound is comforting to me. 

So which Star Wars Main Title Raw Take is your favorite alternate?

I'm having a hard time choosing one.

Take 20 has the strong cymbal crash without the brass.

Take 16 has the delightful emphasis on the swirling woodwinds.

Take 17 has the really strong timpani beats around the 1 minute mark.