Ludwig Goransson's Wakanda Forever (2022)

DangerMotif

• 3 months later...

https://t.co/lYf66uJmYZ

Music from and Inspired by) 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever' soundtrack album to be released on November 4 and Ludwig Göransson's score album to be released on November 11.

Rihanna announced today that she has recorded an original song for Marvel Studios’ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. The track, entitled Lift Me Up, is written by Tems, Academy Award winner Ludwig Göransson, Rihanna herself and director Ryan Coogler. Göransson also produced the song, which was recorded in five countries and will be released as a digital single this Friday, October 28 by Roc Nation Records, Def Jam Recordings & Hollywood Records. Check back on this page to listen to the song and for more information about the full “song” soundtrack release, which is set for November 4. A 3-track prologue single for the movie has previously been released this past summer. A separate album featuring Göransson’s original score from the movie will be coming out on November 11. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever starring Lupita Nyong’o, Letitia Wright, Angela Bassett, Danai Gurira, Tenoch Huerta, Florence Kasumba, Dominique Thorne, Martin Freeman, Michaela Coel and Winston Duke will open in theaters nationwide on November 11, 2022.

Indeed. Göransson is a very talented comppser and the way he talks about going to Africa & Mexico to get the most authentic sound possible, is something that should be commended. he really cares about the music he makes and how it adds to the whole film. Incredible!

Rian Ruin Johnson has already seen and liked it:

I wonder why Disney invited him to the premiere. Maybe it has something to do with a new collaboration between them? Perhaps something set in a galaxy far far away? 😁

Tracklist for the song album. It'll include more Latin artists this time:

01. Lift Me Up – Rihanna
02. Love & Loyalty (Believe) – DBN Gogo, Sino Msolo, Kamo Mphela, Young Stunna and Busiswa
03. Alone – Burna Boy
04. No Woman No Cry – Tems
05. Árboles Bajo El Mar – Vivir Quintana and Mare Advertencia
06. Con La Brisa – Foudeqush and Ludwig Göransson
07. La Vida – Snow Tha Product featuring E-40
08. Interlude – Stormzy
09. Coming Back For You – Fireboy DML
10. They Want It, But No – Tobe Nwigwe and Fat Nwigwe
11. Laayli’ kuxa’ano’one – ADN Maya Colectivo: Pat Boy, Yaalen K’uj, All Mayan Winik
12. Limoncello – OG DAYV featuring Future
13. Anya Mmiri – CKay featuring PinkPantheress
14. Wake Up – Bloody Civilian featuring Rema
15. Pantera – Alemán featuring Rema
16. Jele – DBN Gogo, Sino Msolo, Kamo Mphela, Young Stunna and Busiswa
17. Inframundo – Blue Rojo
18. No Digas Mi Nombre – calle x vida and Foudeqush
19. Mi Pueblo – Guadalupe de Jesús Chan Poot

Source: http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/11/02/black-panther-wakanda-forever-soundtrack-album-details/

From the couple of samples I checked it sounds quite nice. But I will wait until tomorrow. Seeing the movie in the afternoon and will experience the score in context first.

Karol

Listened to the album twice now. It's quite different from the first score, but I love it!!!

There are some wonderful moments. Especially during the action & emotional tracks.

I do wish the full T'Challa theme from the end credits was on the album. But other then that, a great album.

In an interview, he mentions how he created a Mayan-inspired musical soundscape for Talokan:

[When] coming up with the sound for Namor and the Talokans, it's a completely new world, and we're spending a lot of time with them. We spend a lot of time seeing their world for the first time. When I read the script, I talked to Ryan, and he told me that the story and people are very heavily inspired by Mayan culture. That was extremely inspiring for me because I was able to travel to Mexico and to Mesoamerica and start working.

I wanted to record Mayan music, but I quickly realized that that music is gone. It was forcibly erased 500 years ago; there's no traces. They don't know how the music was performed; there's no sheet music. There's no musicians from generation to generation. It's gone.

So, I started working with some music archeologists in Mexico City that specialize in recreating some of the instruments. They found some of the instruments in some of the graves. They've seen the codex, they see what type of instruments they're [using], like seashells and turtle shells. We started recording and re-imagining what the Mayans’ sound could have been like, so that was the interesting part of [making] the music for Namor.

https://screenrant.com/black-panther-2-composer-recreated-lost-mayan-music/

I’m not gonna lie I’m not a big fan of this soundtrack. The Namor stuff takes up a significant portion of the album and to be honest I don’t like it at all. It’s just pure noise. The few times the soundtrack returns to its roots and sounds like it’s predecessor I do enjoy it but besides that this really let me down. Not a single big standout to me when the first soundtrack had more than I could count. I would ask what happened but that’s sort of self explanatory. Still though I don’t understand why Ludwig felt the need to barely use his previously thematic catalogue because of the passing. If anything the old music would honor him more.

I don't agree. It doesn't make sense to have T'Challa's theme for the new Black Panther.

It makes sense in context at the end of the film, but in the rest of the film the theme makes less sense to use.

That would be fine if they had something worthwhile to replace it with which they don’t. Every new idea he presents in the score I found lackluster especially with Namor. Although his orchestral textures are interesting and unique his theme quite frankly sucks. And Shuri’s is also pretty bland imo. Every time the old music would play it would be jarring because it’s so much better than everything else on album.

Also the fact that we couldn’t get a proper Killmonger reprisal is dumb. There was no excuse not to put one in and instead they decided to have remnants of his flute texture and that’s all. I’m so extremely disappointed in this album it actually makes me angry because I was looking forward to it so much. Hopefully Creed 3 is a great score. Ludwig has never disappointed me until now (Besides maybe Tenet but it’s definitely grown on me).

The film is about to start. Haven't heard anything beyond a couple of samples. The album is ready on my player but decided to experience it in context first.

Karol

Well, the score wasn't for me here. But I was pleasantly surprised by one of the "stowaway" songs: Con La Brisa.

On a normal day I'd  have questioned the decision to have songs included on an album that clearly states it is the score but this time around, I am glad they did or else I'd have missed this particular song.

Been listening to it non-stop. The perfect blend of mood, vocals, and tune for my liking right now.

Well, listening to the album right now. It definitely reflects the tone of the film which is quite dour and mournful. I actually like it but fans of a more joyful predecessor will find this difficult to get through due to the dimished role of the orchestra.

Karol

2 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Well, the score wasn't for me here. But I was pleasantly surprised by one of the "stowaway" songs: Con La Brisa.

On a normal day I'd  have questioned the decision to have songs included on an album that clearly states it is the score but this time around, I am glad they did or else I'd have missed this particular song.

Been listening to it non-stop. The perfect blend of mood, vocals, and tune for my liking right now.

I assume the score is intermixed with the song. The first movie did that too.

Whatever one thinks of the score as a whole there is no denying this is very pretty:

I also really love this:

And this ancestral plane theme statement at the end of this cue underscoring

Spoiler

T'Challa's funeral

Karol

I just wish there were more Ancestral Plane uses. I would’ve thought after Chadwick’s passing that the theme would take center stage in this movie but I guess not. I think it would’ve provided a lot of emotion to the score which it desperately needs.

I get why you're saying but given that the film itself largely deals with loss and vaccum created by absence of loved ones the usage of the ancestral theme would have been too much of a comforting balm. That would indicate something peaceful which is not what this story is about (whether we like it or not). A lot of the pre-existing material feels lost and broken in this sequel and I think this is entirely appropriate. It doesn't make for a great entertaining listen but there's clearly some dramatic reasoning behind this.

I don't know yet what to make of the film, or the score, but will give both credit for committing to an idea and running with it (or rather, in this case, slowly mournfully walking).

Karol

That’s true I can say without a doubt that Ludwig tried something completely unique which I respect. His new material just has so much less life in it than before I can’t ever see myself coming back to this album. And seriously I get why he didn’t use the theme throughout the whole film why didn’t he use it/Killmonger’s theme when THAT scene happened. WHY?! Such a missed opportunity. Would’ve made it so much more powerful in my opinion.

Because that scene is not about Killmonger. He is there, but it Shuri's projection of her own thoughts and feelings.

That's why there are no big statements of his theme, but only hints, because at that moment, Shuri possesses hints of Killmonger.

Yes but I still think he could’ve heightened the scene with a better score. I think the movie itself is fine and does a good job honoring Chadwick and the music in the film works well enough. But the album is almost unlistenable to me and is worse to a point in every way from the first one it makes me upset. I don’t see why Ludwig had to diminish his music so much. For artistic reasons or not I don’t think it works.

He could’ve done something much cooler with the Namor music. What he provided is basically pure noise and is such a downgrade from probably the best villain theme in the MCU, “Killmonger”. I get that it’s supposed to be Mayan and different but why make music that sounds terrible just so it’s different.

Off-Topic: I just saw that the new Creed is not being down by Ludwig himself; but his protege Joseph Shirley. Makes me super upset because it means that I won’t get another Ludwig score this year but at the same time if I wanted anyone to take over Creed it would be Joseph. He is guaranteed to continue the same musical language and tapestry laid out by Ludwig for the first two films which no other composer would really be guaranteed to do. I have high hopes for Shirley and believe he can pull something off that’s quite spectacular.

I listened to the album, and though it really isn't easy to listen, I still think it's by design and there was some great moments.

The score for the first BP (which I revisited a few days ago) was like a celebration of Wakanda, its people, its heroism, etc. This movie not only features a mourning Wakanda, so its music now is darker, more oppressive, a portrait of a country in search for its future. 

There's also Talokan, a nation that is hellbent on revenge against the whole world. Its music is angry, nervous, filled with rage and despair, using the Meso American instruments to create all of these harsh textures. 

And yeah, it's not easy to listen on the album. But that only makes the more joyous, heroic moments later more impactful.

The first time we listen the main theme from the first movie is here, with a new synth theme that for some reason reminded me of Brian Tyler's 2017 Power Rangers score, and its amazing.

Then there's this climactic action cue, which is still harsh and very different from the climax of the first score, but still with some awesome celebratory moments. I specially loved the moment below (4:57 to 5:38):

This conclusive cue is also very good. The contrast between the darker Talokan textures with the glorious Wakandan music is great, and when the BP theme hits on 2:38, it is very rewarding:

Anyway, it's not an easy listening, so I can understand the overall feeling of disappointment, but I do think this is a very intelligent, well thought score. Honestly, I might prefer this to mediocrities like Black Adam, which is so painfully generic and forgettable that I barely made through my first listen of the OST.

The score is a lot better than Black Adam that’s for sure. To be honest it’s not a bad score but compared to the first one it’s really not even the same level. Guess we gotta wait till Black Panther 3 to hear Wakanda “healed” again.

Also random but interesting is that Black Panther opens with the country in mourning of a dead king as well but the music is incredibly triumphant. I guess it’s because we dealt with an actual passing but still weird to think about.

16 hours ago, SilentWraith360 said:

Also random but interesting is that Black Panther opens with the country in mourning of a dead king as well but the music is incredibly triumphant. I guess it’s because we dealt with an actual passing but still weird to think about.

It is reasonable for you to feel this way. The music and scene is reflective of traditional African funerals, a procession surrounded by singers and dancers dressed in white; the music and funeral are a combination of mourning and celebration, honoring the one who has passed while celebrating the individual's life and what that person brought in life, which is fitting both in the film and real life. I was wrapped up in the emotion of the sequence reflecting real life, but I was able to catch Baaba Maal in a cameo shot as one of the chanters in the scene.

I thought the film was in many ways just as great as the original and was very moving. To speak personally, Chadwick Boseman's passing hit close to home, as my Dad also passed away after succumbing to stage 4 colon cancer. This film was a moving tribute and honored the legacy of Chadwick Boseman. Ludwig Göransson's score is good, too.

For the 3 MCU movies this year, Wakanda Forever is not as good as Multiverse of Madness, but is better than Love and Thunder.  Now, the politics of Wakanda Forever are ludicrously shallow and incurious, but that's a conversation for a different forum.  I really enjoyed the introduction of Ironheart and am looking forward to her show, and the further groundwork being laid for Thunderbolts.  I know that's the stuff that critics hate, the shared universe stuff, but I love it!

As for the score, definitely not as good as the first one, but I always find Goransson compelling and listenable, even at his most EDM-ish.

45 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

For the 3 MCU movies this year, Wakanda Forever is not as good as Multiverse of Madness, but is better than Love and Thunder.  Now, the politics of Wakanda Forever are ludicrously shallow and incurious, but that's a conversation for a different forum.  I really enjoyed the introduction of Ironheart and am looking forward to her show, and the further groundwork being laid for Thunderbolts.  I know that's the stuff that critics hate, the shared universe stuff, but I love it!

As for the score, definitely not as good as the first one, but I always find Goransson compelling and listenable, even at his most EDM-ish.

How does it compare with last year's MCU movies Spider-Man, Shang-Chi and Black Widow?

In terms of emotional weight and depth, I feel Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is on a similar level with Spider-Man: No Way Home, though a little bit above, especially in coming to terms with grief and loss. A little bit above because, in this case, the loss and grief reflects real life. Shang-Chi touches on that to a capacity, but not as much, I think. Action-wise, it’s very good.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

It's interesting that he decided to go in the complete opposite direction to that the majority of us would have wanted. Instead of increasing the presence of the orchestra, he decided to reduce it. Yes, I love my orchestral splendour but it is not the only valid way to deal with these things. I sort of try to be more open-minded these days, partially because it is quite difficult to come up with valid excuse for me own prejudices and how illogical they are. For what it's worth, I do think his approach to film scoring is at the very least intriguing. There's a certain sophistication that isn't necessarily present in certain mainstream film music and I do appreciate that. For instance, I am not a huge fan of Tenet score but have to admit some of it is quite interesting sonically. And, again, I actually do appreciate how he integrates the songs, all of which he co-wrote, into the fabric of the score. It is not simply a case of needle dropping licensed stuff. It's something I can get behind even if it wouldn't be what I asked for.

Karol

I actually quite like Wakanda Forever. Yes the orchestra is diminished, but it is one of the few scores I listened to this year that does something really interesting with vocals across two cultures and as well as having very unique instrumentation. This isn't the typical epic choir like Balfe's Black Adam. 

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

How does it compare with last year's MCU movies Spider-Man, Shang-Chi and Black Widow?

Ya know, after a couple rewatches I actually think Black Widow is underrated.  That’s a really fun movie.  I enjoy the first 2/3 legitimately so much that I can kinda roll with the nonsensical stupid 3rd act actually.

So post 2020 movies so far, ranked

1. Black Widow

2. Multiverse

3. No Way Home

4. Wakanda Forever

5. Shang-Chi

6. Love and Thunder

7. Eternals