Joe Hisaishi's Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite (2021 revision)

aviazn

2 hours ago, aviazn said:

a violin solo replacing the piano in Ashitaka and San

I was eagerly awaiting the physical release of this, but seeing as you put it right in front of me, I couldn't stop myself and had a listen anyway.

I tuned into Joe's Paris livestream where this version (IIRC — at least it was this instrumentation) was played live and I think the mic placement was a bit off (and possibly the ensemble was a tad under-rehearsed). It is a relief to hear things recorded with care in this presentation, but there are some things that I still find jarring — the thick piano chords that would have resolved Ab7 (F~Gb~Bb~Ab) to Db replaced with solo violin feels unusually thin.

In spite of this — wow. I find myself loosening up and enjoying the music. Maybe it's a cheap shot of nostalgia, but it definitely works for me.

Derailing the conversation a bit — I quite like "Merry-Go-Round 2019." The "more aggressive" 2-5-1 duplet features more prominently than ever, and while I do think the piano parts worked in the original score, this orchestration is too charming for me to complain about.

• 4 weeks later...