Simone Pedroni, Cecilia Tsan & Sara Andon perform chamber arrangements of John Williams’ film scores

TownerFan

Hadn't life played a trick on me, I would be flying there next week. Unfortunately that won't be the case. 

I was there in 2019 and Alagna is the most beautiful place for music and look forward to returning there, hopefully in 2023 (even without the wonderful Williams tribute).

Did they ever say who did the arrangements? It kind of reminds me of an album Keisuke Wakao did with other BSO members. I don't think that album ever made it online, I got it at Tanglewood. I think it was only released in Japan. The entire booklet is in Japanese, but I believe Williams did all the arrangements. I would assume that because they are absolutely incredible. Silly me I never had the book scanned otherwise I would upload it for someone to translate.

Or perhaps The Legacy of John Williams has already looking into it or could check on that.

3 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Did they ever say who did the arrangements? It kind of reminds me of an album Keisuke Wakao did with other BSO members. I don't think that album ever made it online, I got it at Tanglewood. I think it was only released in Japan. The entire booklet is in Japanese, but I believe Williams did all the arrangements. I would assume that because they are absolutely incredible. Silly me I never had the book scanned otherwise I would upload it for someone to translate.

Or perhaps The Legacy of John Williams has already looking into it or could check on that.

Simone Pedroni has previously recorded Williams' music for Varese Sarabande label on Themes And Transcriptions For Piano album and several transcriptions were done by Williams himself (Lincoln and The Book Thief suites).

Keisuke Wakao's album was available also outside Japan but quite infrequently (E.g. I found my copy by chance for 5 € at German Amazon) and Williams did in fact only arrange The Days Between from Stepmom for it anf played piano for that track. The rest of the arrangements were by someone else.

Sara Andon and Simone Pedroni recorded also an album of Ennio Morricone's music a few years ago so here's to hoping we'll get a new CD of these Williams arrangements. 🙂

4 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

The Keisuke Wakao album arrangements (for oboe, string quartet, harp and piano) were all by Kazunori Maruyama according to the booklet (who also plays piano on the recording). Williams himself did the oboe & piano arrangement of Stepmom as a gift for Keisuke and recorded it with him at the piano.

At the Alagna Festival, the Andon/Tsan/Pedroni trio will perform brand-new arrangements for cello, flute and piano penned by Simone Pedroni, plus flute & piano arrangements again by Pedroni, and the regulary published JW cello & piano suites from Schindler's List and Memoirs of a Geisha.

On 09/08/2022 at 11:39 AM, TownerFan said:

Pedroni announced officially that these arrangements will be soon recorded in Los Angeles for a new album project celebrating John Williams' 90th birthday produced by Robert Townson.

2022 sure is packed with new John Williams albums!

• 1 year later...
On 09/08/2022 at 5:39 PM, TownerFan said:

Before the Sunday concert, Pedroni announced officially that these arrangements will be soon recorded in Los Angeles for a new album project celebrating John Williams' 90th birthday produced by Robert Townson.

By the way, weren't these arrangements expected to be recorded and published on album?

Does anybody know, what happened to this project?

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Sounds like a Bryan Adams song. :)

GerateWohl: Look in to your heart, Jurassic Shark, you will find
                     There is nothing there to hide :D

@Jurassic SharkThat's the lyrics, not my fault. ;)