Close Encounters of the Third Kind - 45th Anniversary Edition La-La Land Records

Jay

What are the "We don't have this yet" Williams scores? TBH I would never have known that Eiger Sanction was on my Must Have list until about five years ago.

Obviously there is Star Wars and Indy but I don't see this year giving us any of those.

John Williams has said that Schindler’s List, Images, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind are his Top Three Best Scores. 

What do you think? Would be Four and the Fifth Best Scores of John Williams. 

On 02/08/2022 at 2:54 PM, Jay said:

"Stars And Trucks" is partially heard in the film, was partially included in the original OST album track "Nocturnal Pursuit", was completely absent from the 1998 Arista CD, and then finally debuted in full on the LLL set.  Spielberg cut some of the footage it was meant to score from the final film, but the deleted footage was later released on home video

It is included on the 1998 Arista.

this score is one of the few scores that i have to listen to from beginning to end.  i never ever listen to this score in single cues.

it's always ''ok lets have a close encounters listening experience'' when i throw on this score.

My bad, I was thinking about how it's on the 1998 Arista, but then on the LLL it's on disc 2 instead of the main program

Fixed my post!

So it's been a couple years since I've seen the theatrical cut but is The Appearance of the Visitors completely unused in film? Maybe I just like the cue so much that I've done it myself in my head but I seem to remember the big swell of When You Wish that's at the end of that cue being in the film. Fabricated memory? Mandela effect?

5 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Personally that’s my favorite of the scores I’ve heard. I consider it the best score and film, so far, in this new century.

No disagreements there, it's a masterpiece.

I sometimes realize that CE is one of those films that I think I know well. But I really just know the score really well while I merely remember the movie. Probably the same with E.T. Jurassic Park is probably the opposite.

Star Wars is a whole 'nother critter.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's not used in the final film

That's so sad. It easily the greatest moment in the score. Without it, When You Wish is just source music that loosely inspired the shape of some of the melodies. The synthesis of the entire score is in that moment, I think. Especially if you are watching the theatrical cut and the end credits arrangement isn't there. That's very sad. Not using that cue is now my number one Spielberg D-oh! moment

On 04/08/2022 at 10:22 AM, blondheim said:

So it's been a couple years since I've seen the theatrical cut but is The Appearance of the Visitors completely unused in film? Maybe I just like the cue so much that I've done it myself in my head but I seem to remember the big swell of When You Wish that's at the end of that cue being in the film.

On 04/08/2022 at 10:30 AM, Jay said:

It's not used in the final film

The orchestral quote of "When You Wish Upon A Star" can be heard at 1:13 in this clip

So the ending of The Appearance of the Visitors is indeed in the movie. I thought so. I am glad my memory hasn’t yet gone the way of all things. The booklet also did not say it was unused.

I am very glad because this is the best moment in the score it would have been silly to leave it out.

On 03/08/2022 at 1:52 PM, TownerBarry said:

John Williams has said that Schindler’s List, Images, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind are his Top Three Best Scores. 

What do you think? Would be Four and the Fifth Best Scores of John Williams. 

If Williams is on record having said this, it would be news to many of us.  He has intimated that Close Encounters is one of his favorites, but even then it is because the music gets to be an active character in the film, versus his own thoughts on the quality of music itself.  

It might be his best score in terms of legacy and impact. How crazy is it going to be when we actually make first contact with extra-terrestrials and they play that back to us?

18 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

The orchestral quote of "When You Wish Upon A Star" can be heard at 1:13 in this clip

I find that a curious statement, when the theme is also all over all the music before that point in the clip.

Close-Encounters-45th-SQ-share-with-Web.

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND: 45th ANNIVERSARY EDITION
RE-ISSUE (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1603
Music by John Williams
Limited Edition of 5000 Units

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING AUGUST 9

Order yours from www.lalalandrecords.com starting 12 noon (pst) on 8/9.

In celebration of John Williams‘ 90th birthday and the 45th Anniversary of the classic film CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, La-La Land Records, Sony Music and Columbia Pictures present CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND: 45th ANNIVERSARY REMASTERED LIMITED EDITION, a special 2-CD reissue release featuring our restored and remastered presentation of Academy Award-Winning composer John Williams’ (JAWS, STAR WARS, SCHINDLER’S LIST) original motion picture score to the 1977 landmark feature film CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Richard Dreyfuss and Teri Garr. Maestro Williams’ score personifies this classic film’s boundless wonder – searching through, and communicating with, the deep expanses of space as it also explores the unknowable mysteries of the human soul.

This deluxe 2-CD edition, meticulously produced, mixed and mastered by Mike Matessino, in consultation with the composer and director, was inspired by the discovery that Williams had originally planned the soundtrack as a 75-minute double LP. Disc One of this presentation takes its lead from that initial intent, expanding and organizing the score as a grand symphony contained on a single disc. Disc Two offers an equally fresh experience of the score, comprised of discrete versions of cues, alternates and selections not heard on Disc One, plus many of the 1977 album tracks, as well as previously unreleased source music recorded for the film. Matessino’s exclusive liner notes explore this iconic, majestic score, while Jim Titus’ art design handsomely recalls all those joyous feelings generated by one of the greatest science fiction film experiences of all time. This is a limited edition release of 5000 units.

NOTE: Aside from the “45th Anniversary” notation on the CD’s front cover, this re-issue utilizes the same master and overall content as our previous 40th Anniversary 2-CD release.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC ONE 78:42
EXPANDED SOUNDTRACK PRESENTATION
1 Main Title and The Vision 1:29
2 Navy Planes 2:15
3 Lost Squadron 2:34
4 Trucking 2:09
5 Into the Tunnel and Chasing UFOs 3:56
6 Crescendo Summit 1:25
7 False Alarm and The Helicopter 4:20
8 Barry’s Kidnapping 6:22
9 Forming the Mountain 1:58
10 TV Reveals / Across Country 2:53
11 The Mountain 3:36
12 The Cover-up and Base Camp 3:56
13 The Escape 2:20
14 Climbing the Mountain 2:36
15 Outstretched Hands 2:50
16 The Light Show 3:47
17 Barnstorming 4:31
18 The Mothership 4:35
19 The Dialogue 4:28
20 The Returnees 3:58
21 The Appearance of the Visitors + 4:56
22 Contact 3:22
23 End Titles + 4:27

DISC TWO 74:26
ALTERNATES AND ADDITIONAL MUSIC
1 Main Title 1:18
2 Roy’s First Encounter 2:44
3 Encounter at Crescendo Summit 1:25
4 Chasing UFOs 1:22
5 Watching the Skies 1:20
6 Vision Takes Shape :42
7 Another Vision :42
8 False Alarm 1:45
9 The Abduction of Barry 4:36
10 The Cover-up 2:31
11 TV Reveals 1:52
12 Roy and Jillian on the Road 1:20
13 I Can’t Believe It’s Real 3:25
14 Across the Fields 1:20
15 Stars and Trucks :49
16 Who Are You People? 1:38
17 The Escape (Alternate) 2:41
18 Climbing Devils Tower 2:11
19 Dark Side of the Moon 1:34
20 The Approach 4:32
21 Night Siege 6:27
22 The Conversation 2:23
23 Inside+ 2:34
24 Contact (Alternate) 2:51
25 Eleventh Commandment 2:00
26 TV Western 1:06
27 Lava Flow 1:47
28 The Five Tones 2:25
29 Advance Scout Greeting 2:58
30 The Dialogue (Early Version) 3:12
31 Resolution and End Title 6:55
Total 2-CD Time: 2:33:08

+ Contains “When You Wish Upon a Star” (interpolated), written by Ned Washington and
Leigh Harline, published by Bourne Co. (ASCAP). Used with permission. All Rights Reserved.

This is a CD format release.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:01 PM, Jay said:

Cover art added to main post

CE3K.png

Seems identical to the 2017 edition 

CloseEncounters-HD__50158.1524176184.jpg

They omitted the phrase “remastered” this time for obvious reasons. 

I want to nominate this score for having the best film edit of three cues in history. The first few times that I watched the film, I assumed that the music for the warehouse scene was one cue. When I listened to the 1998 CD, I was shocked that "The Cover-Up", "Stars and Trucks", and "Who Are You People" were three separate cues that were used for that one scene. Frankly, the transition sounds so seamless in the film that I'm tempted to recreate it for my personal playlist.

On another note, what would be a good title or slate for the last 30 seconds of "The Five Tones"? It's the piece of "five note" music heard on the telephone when Jillian tries to make a call during the abduction scene

20 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

On another note, what would be a good title or slate for the last 30 seconds of "The Five Tones"? It's the piece of "five note" music heard on the telephone when Jillian tries to make a call during the abduction scene

How about Dialling Tones?

📞👽

Today I created this short program playlist using the LLL edition. It's based on the content of the OST (which is a classic, but features a lot of heavy clunky edits!), then goes a little step further. 

47 minutes.

EDIT: I changed my original playlist a bit to remove duplicates.

image.png

Is the spreadsheet on the forum?

I look for an equivalence between the cue names and the different names they got on the albums.

20 hours ago, Bespin said:

How can you make a finale to the album without "The Returnees"? :blink:

"I Can't Believe it's Real" contains the Returnees cue

20 hours ago, Bespin said:

What's the matter with you? ROTFLMAO

Me?  I wasn't alive when the 1977 score album was created.

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

Is my playlist at least in the right order?

For your own personal enjoyment?  Probably

As a re-creation of the 1977 score album?  No.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

Is the spreadsheet on the forum?

I look for an equivalence between the cue names and the different names they got on the albums.

Of course it is.  All my google docs are here

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29072-jays-score-information-collection-john-williams-edition/

&

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29073-jays-score-information-collection-non-williams-edition

It's your mound of potatoes, but why not sculpt it as the intended double album Matessino revealed with the LLL release? 

CEOTTK is such an oddity for me.  It's probably my single favorite JW score in terms of depth, quality, and range.  He's at his most extremes of fear, awe, child-like wonder, danger, unknown, etc.  The film is incredibly effective and it's very hard not to get choked up and carried away by how effective the film is by its ending, but it also makes little sense!  Or at least, I just don't fully comprehend the story and its Pinocchio allegory.  It's a very confused story and it's a masterpiece of emotional manipulation.  I vividly remember this in the theater after Star Wars and no one else was there.  It was an empty theater other than my brother and I.  I was expecting a Star Wars type film, but this had so much dialog and grown-up topics like family issues and such.  But by the end, was completely taken in by the score and spell of this magical experience of seeing the amazing but flawed film.  Having just seen Jaws after 10 years and loving that experience, maybe I should revisit CE but which version!?!  I think Spielberg is confused by it as well.

8 minutes ago, karelm said:

CEOTTK is such an oddity for me.  It's probably my single favorite JW score in terms of depth, quality, and range.  He's at his most extremes of fear, awe, child-like wonder, danger, unknown, etc.  The film is incredibly effective and it's very hard not to get choked up and carried away by how effective the film is by its ending, but it also makes little sense!  Or at least, I just don't fully comprehend the story and its Pinocchio allegory.  It's a very confused story and it's a masterpiece of emotional manipulation.  I vividly remember this in the theater after Star Wars and no one else was there.  It was an empty theater other than my brother and I.  I was expecting a Star Wars type film, but this had so much dialog and grown-up topics like family issues and such.  But by the end, was completely taken in by the score and spell of this magical experience of seeing the amazing but flawed film.  Having just seen Jaws after 10 years and loving that experience, maybe I should revisit CE but which version!?!  I think Spielberg is confused by it as well.

I appreciate this write-up.  I love Spielberg, but he is not the best writer (I have similar issues with AI).  the movie is the last 30 minutes, the rest is a very good, but really confused, build-up.  

Interesting. I didn't know, that the original theatrical cut is still available.

I saw the movie for the first time at the cinema in the version with the extended ending with all the scenes inside the space ship (during which I fell asleep, it was 1 in the morning). Then I saw on DVD this final or ultimate cut, which is quite good. Never saw the original version. I think, the original didn't contain the scene with the ship in the stranded desert, did it. Wasn't that the reason, why Spielberg made the first extension? He wanted that scene with the boat added and the producers said, only if he adds more scenes inside the spaceship, which he never wanted to do.