E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - 40th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

36 minutes ago, Brando said:

I’m not mad….I’m just slightly annoyed I bought this a year or so ago for like $70-$80 off of eBay…

see yeah. i totally sympathize when this happens.  i was soooooo close to doing that with the JP set.

it's really unfortunate.

still might do it if Jaws reissue comes out with missing tracks.  but thats probably a different story.

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

see yeah. i totally sympathize when this happens.  i was soooooo close to doing that with the JP set.

it's really unfortunate.

still might do it if Jaws reissue comes out with missing tracks.  but thats probably a different story.

If they released source music for Jaws and Jaws 2 like they did for Jaws 3 I'm definitely picking them up. I've got digital copies of them but I'd love to have the source cues 

I am praying for a miracle that Jaws gets a new remaster.  It's incredible given the painstaking work Mike did to get the 3 channel into stereo, but it was some years ago, and I like to believe there's always room for improvement.

34 minutes ago, Andy said:

I am praying for a miracle that Jaws gets a new remaster.  It's incredible given the painstaking work Mike did to get the 3 channel into stereo, but it was some years ago, and I like to believe there's always room for improvement.

Listening to a few tracks on my home from work today, some of them hit levels in the volume where I hear clicks and pops. Am I alone here or does everyone else hear this too? And the volume I have the stereo set to is usually where I stop turning music up to, and other tracks sound fine at this level with no pops.

Maybe its just me turning up the volume too high...but I also put some tracks into audacity and there's a few places in Man Against Beast for example where the waveforms touch the top of the track and the volume level goes all the way into the red zone. I also see what you mean about clarity, some tracks don't seem as clear as they could be.

29 minutes ago, Brando said:

Maybe its just me turning up the volume too high...but I also put some tracks into audacity and there's a few places in Man Against Beast for example where the waveforms touch the top of the track and the volume level goes all the way into the red zone. I also see what you mean about clarity, some tracks don't seem as clear as they could be.

That doesn't necessarily mean that they're clipping (given it's an official release I can guarantee they're not). The red just indicates that it's hitting 0.0 dB, so long as it doesn't go higher it's fine.

EDIT: Just checked Man Against Beast; there's no clipping on my end. It peaks at -0.1 dB, so below the threshold.

Can you post a screenshot of the waveform in Audacity?  Just curious.  But don’t bother if it’s too much work to do so.  I'll check mine tomorrow and give it a look if I get time. 

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

Can you post a screenshot of the waveform in Audacity?  Just curious.  But don’t bother if it’s too much work to do so.  I'll check mine tomorrow and give it a look if I get time. 

I was telling Manakin because we were discussing it over Discord and his copy of the same track looks exactly the same, its fine listening to it with my headphones but in my car is where I really here the tiny pops. So hearing this made me look at it here. Also when I mentioned the red zone, I was referring to the volume meter which fluctuates as the track plays, not the setting you can turn on which tells you when a specific section is too loud and will clip. It's probably nothing and just my car stereo is different than my headphones.

Screenshot (89).png

Gotcha. Yeah it looks healthy there. Nothing plateauing out at the peaks. Must be the car stereo. Weird that it doesn’t do it with other discs. 

On 02/08/2022 at 12:25 AM, Bellosh said:

It'd probably be cheaper in the long run to just get therapy 

Or switch to YouTube rips or MP3s saved somewhere in the cloud....

That would drive me mad!

On 01/08/2022 at 4:38 PM, phbart said:

Great! Now the perfectionist in me will feel compeled to buy E.T. again because "40th" is rounder than "35th". :banghead:

You remind me of the downloading days back in the early 00s where you could get 320k mp3s of a new score via whatever program it was back then, which meant that when I bought the CD it was somewhat of an anticlimax - sure, you got a CD with some nice artwork but the rip sounded identical to what I had already...

It was only really noticeable back when mp3s were compressed to hell due to dial-up Internet.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but on both LLL editions, are there any tracks in the OST section of the bonus section that are different takes than disc 1?

On 23/02/2018 at 12:47 PM, Jay said:

On the ET OST album, 5 tracks were recorded specifically for the album

2    Abandoned And Pursued
3    E.T. And Me
4    E.T.'s Halloween
5    Flying
7    Over The Moon

Two tracks were taken from the normal film cues, but edited differently

1    Three Million Light Years From Home (this is 1M1R The Forest, the same piece of music as LLL D1T2 [from 0:00-3:27] where it's called "Far From Home", but on the OST album a section is edited out)

6    E.T. Phone Home (this is 10M2 E.T. Phones Home, the same piece of music as LLL D1 T20 where it's called "E.T. Is Alive", but on the OST album one passage is a different take than the take used in the film)

And finally one track is literally a dub of the actual film's music stem, taken from a point in time where a horn overlay that ultimately wasn't used was still included in the mix

8    Adventure On Earth (This is 11M1 The Rescue -> 11M3 The Bike Chase -> 11M4/12M1R The Departure, with Steven's Fix Insert & the ultimately unused horn overlay; The proper edit of these cues from the 1st gen elements is LLL D1T21 The Rescue and the Bike Chase & LLL D1T22 The Departure, though the horn overlay is not mixed in there.  The horn overlay can instead be heard on LLL D2 T19, where the Steven's Fix Insert is not edited in so you can hear how JW conceived the cue before Spielberg changed it)

You might enjoy looking at this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vT0E9cHkK-SqctUuLKYjNov1cm3DB7Dol3CCfQqmXPJUbNqwIrwdNTtn4FqV212S-3e_GltYaEDIUM8/pubhtml

Nope, nothing to do with the horn overlay, two different parts of the composition 

Did you look at the second tab of the linked google doc?

Yeah it’s worth the time to bring up the spreadsheet and compare. 

Steven’s Fix is the more emotional sweeping melody that underscores Elliot saying “Ouch” to E.T.  It replaces a quote of the “signal” motif in a more satisfying way. 

Steven was right. 

The trumpet overlay is just that, a brief descending trumpet that comes just before the “I’ll Be Right Here” quote of the Chase motif.   It’s subtle, but sort of not, considering the profound impact of this moment in film music history. 

E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL: 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

RE-ISSUE (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1594

Music by John Williams

Limited Edition of 5000 Units

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING AUGUST 26 - Any orders containing this title will start shipping on that same date.

Order yours from www.lalalandrecords.com starting 12 noon (pst) on 8/9

In celebration of John Williams’ 90th birthday and the classic film E.T.’s 40th anniversary, La-La Land Records, Universal Music Group, Universal Studios and Amblin Entertainment proudly present a 2-CD reissue of our restored, remastered re-issue of legendary composer John Williams’ (JAWS, CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, JURASSIC PARK) iconic, original motion picture score to the beloved 1982 classic feature film, E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL, starring Henry Thomas, Drew Barrymore and Dee Wallace, and directed by Steven Spielberg. The incomparable magic of this immortal Academy Award-winning John Williams score – teeming with wonder, brimming with adventure, enlightening with drama, bursting with joy, overflowing with love – is showcased here within a deluxe, composer-approved presentation that restores and remasters the original film score, and additionally serves up a first-time remaster of the Grammy-winning 1982 soundtrack album, as well as bonus tracks that include never-before-released alternate cues, the original music to Universal Studios’ theme park attraction “The E.T. Adventure,” and more! Produced by Mike Matessino and Bruce Botnick and mixed and mastered in hi-resolution from original studio vault elements, this special 2-CD release is limited to 5000 units and features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Matessino, as well as celestially wondrous package design by Jim Titus including new cover art approved by the director. A must for cinema fans of all ages – this is, without question, a release to phone home about!

NOTE: Aside from the “40th Anniversary” notation and slight revisions to the CD’s front cover, this re-issue utilizes the same master and overall content as our previous 35th Anniversary 2-CD release.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1
THE FILM SCORE PRESENTATION
1 Main Title 1:14
2 Far From Home / E.T. Alone 6:57
3 Bait for E.T. 1:45
4 Meeting E.T. 2:08
5 E.T.’s New Home 1:28
6 The Beginning of a Friendship 2:53
7 Toys 3:13
8 I’m Keeping Him 2:20
9 E.T.’s Powers 2:44
10 The Closet * :53
11 E.T. and Elliott Get Drunk 2:57
12 Frogs 2:12
13 At Home 5:38
14 The Magic of Halloween 2:55
15 Sending the Signal 3:58
16 Searching for E.T. 4:18
17 Invading Elliott’s House 2:24
18 Stay With Me * 2:24
19 Losing E.T. 2:04
20 E.T. Is Alive 4:22
21 The Rescue and Bike Chase 8:07
22 The Departure 7:07
23 End Credits 3:55
Disc One: Total Time: 77:57

DISC 2
THE 1982 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
1 Three Million Light Years From Home 3:01
2 Abandoned and Pursued 3:02
3 E.T. and Me 4:54
4 E.T.’s Halloween 4:11
5 Flying 3:25
6 E.T. Phone Home 4:21
7 Over the Moon 2:12
8 Adventure on Earth 15:10

ADDITIONAL MUSIC
9 The E.T. Adventure * 4:12
10 Far From Home / E.T. Alone (alternate) ** 7:00
11 The Encounter * 1:49
12 Meeting E.T. (alternate) * 2:20
13 E.T.’s New Home (alternate) 1:27
14 The Kiss * :49
15 Levitation * :41
16 Searching for E.T. (alternate) 4:19
17 Invading Elliott’s House (alternate) ** 2:24
18 E.T. Is Dying 2:24
19 The Departure (alternate) 7:06
20 End Credits (alternate) 3:55
Disc 2: Total Time: 78:42
Total Album Time: 2:36:39
** Contains previously unreleased music
* Previously unreleased music

This is a CD format release

That is, at the very least, an inherently awesome logo.  Looking forward to the inevitable Behance article about its creation.

And, you know, if it turns out to be a harbinger of the realization of previously written-off hopes, so much the better!

Nobody should ever have any reason to think any Star Wars or Indiana Jones scores would be worked on by any label that isn't Disney Records

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nobody should ever have any reason to think any Star Wars or Indiana Jones scores would be worked on by any label that isn't Disney Records

😭

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

The only way otherwise would be if JW specifically requests MM to work on them but it would still prob be through Disney

42 minutes ago, Jay said:

But would it be possible for LLL (or any other specialty label) to put out the physical product if Disney only wants to release it digitally on their own? 

Since they released Shawn Murphy's demasters on physical CD I'd fully expect them to sell the next iteration (expansions) on physical CD as well

I completely disagree.  He put iconic imagery from JW-scored films that represent flight over the moon.

The fact the LLL has done expanded releases of Superman, ET, HP, and JP is irrelevant and coincidental.

A better question is why was this banner advertising used for ET and CE3K but not JP?