E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - 40th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

Don't they still have to pay for use of copyrighted imagery? Given I expect the specialty labels to not being drowning in funds, it'd be a weird thing to pay for if nothing would come out of it that'd they'd get their money back for.

Hell, since it is an advertisement, wouldn't Disney/LF be antsy about using a property of theirs to sell basically unrelated items? They already get pushy about dentists and tombstones using their imagery, so what makes this a-okay if they aren't benefiting from it at all?

Lastly: since Mondo were the ones to physically release the Rogue One expansion, why would those companies then be allowed with doing such releases? Is it simply because it makes too much money for them to say no to?

2 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Don't they still have to pay for use of copyrighted imagery?

I'm guessing no one is gonna go after them for celebrating JW's 90th birthday in this manner

2 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

since Mondo were the ones to physically release the Rogue One expansion, why would those companies then be allowed with doing such releases? Is it simply because it makes too much money for them to say no to?

That's what licensing is.  Mondo licensed the rights to release a Disney-owned music for a price, and expects to make enough revenue from selling their product to pay back the licensing cost.  It's no different from, say, Hasbro licensing the rights to sell Star Wars toys.

Cool, but then why wouldn't LLL be allowed license on the CD side of things? Solo and RO definitely weren't considered important enough to warrant WDW releasing them physically, so I'm not sure why the main series would be seen as any different.

Then again, given SW's popularity, I suppose even Intrada would probably be considered too small for them to be able to handle a potentially large influx of orders. So Disney would need to be cautious about how to best approach such a set without it becoming too out of reach for some fans.

15 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Cool, but then why wouldn't LLL be allowed license on the CD side of things?

There is no indication that Disney Records will license any John Williams Star Wars compositions to other labels for any reason.

Solo and RO definitely weren't considered important enough to warrant WDW releasing them physically, so I'm not sure why the main series would be seen as any different.

It's COMPLETELY different.

Then again, given SW's popularity, I suppose even Intrada would probably be considered too small for them to be able to handle a potentially large influx of orders. So Disney would need to be cautious about how to best approach such a set without it becoming too out of reach for some fans.

I think it's more about Disney Records wanting to keep all the money for themselves than any concerns about how "small" a partner is.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I think it's more about Disney Records wanting to keep all the money for themselves than any concerns about how "small" a partner is.

Which only makes sense if Disney are actually expanding the scores on their own label.

Instead they're actively refusing to license them out to other labels while also doing nothing themselves. It's completely illogical.

31 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Which only makes sense if Disney are actually expanding the scores on their own label.

Instead they're actively refusing to license them out to other labels while also doing nothing themselves. It's completely illogical.

^^^

17 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm guessing no one is gonna go after them for celebrating JW's 90th birthday in this manner

With all due respect, Jay, I think you underestimate the power of the Mouse. Just because we don’t hear about it doesn’t mean LLL doesn’t get a slap on the wrist and a warning. 

12 hours ago, Gibster said:

@Jay Do you think JW knows about these expansions when they happen?

Of course!

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Oh, it's illogical all right!  They don't want to license the rights to anybody else, but they also don't want to spend the effort to expand them themselves.

It's frustrating for all the fans, and it's frustrating for Mike. 

Nobody wins!

That's conglomerates for ya!

1 minute ago, SpotTheDog said:

With all due respect, Jay, I think you underestimate the power of the Mouse. Just because we don’t hear about it doesn’t mean LLL doesn’t get a slap on the hand and a warning. 

If someone at Disney saw LLL's banner images, and bothered to draft a letter to them telling them they weren't allowed to use a silhouette of an X-Wing, I'll eat my hat.

Just now, Jay said:

If someone at Disney saw LLL's banner images, and bothered to draft a letter to them telling them they weren't allowed to use a silhouette of an X-Wing, I'll eat my hat.

You might very well be right, but I stand by my suspicion 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What kind of hat? 

20 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

And this is when I feel very glad not to care about SW expansions at all. I'll be very happy when they come along and I can listen to them, but don't need them at all.

The main problem is the sheer amount of time that's elapsed which makes the whole thing more anticipated and fans more emotionally reactive.

I look forward to an expansion of RotS and a proper expanson of TLC, but I don't need either.

19 hours ago, HunterTech said:

If they want it to be accessible and not out of reach, don't do a big box set and don't do it physically. And my advice to fellow JWFanners: it's not going to be perfect.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

If they want it to be accessible and not out of reach, don't do a big box set, and don't do it physically.

i'd hope for a box set initially, (individual trilogy box sets would be unreal) and then say individual releases are also coming down the line/or at the same time.

Disney will be all about the boxset in some way or another.

I just really think a big 9-film box set is a bad idea as it would have to be expensive and not everyone would want all the scores.

And sorry if I sound like a broken record, but the more elaborate you make a set, the less tolerance there is for mistakes/creative decisions. I'd like to see a set of releases that makes this forum happy, not reading about endless mastering/editing issues that ruin an expensive purchase.

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

Then they should not make those mistakes.

I challenge you to make a 9-score box set with all the bells and whistles, and have specified time and resources to do it (i.e. not the time that us hobbyists have to perfect stuff), and not make a single mistake anywhere, or creative decision that others might disagree with.

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

and not make a single mistake anywhere, or creative decision that others might disagree with.

Not joining the first Battle of Hoth cue with the other 3 is not the same level as leaving off the goddamn climax cue, not even being able to properly line up and join 2 cues containing the same material, not even being able to downmix LCR to stereo, or not even bothering to relisten a couple times and catch these mistakes, not having the pride and respect to put in the effort the only time in decades and for decades a score can be touched deserves. Guess which ones we actually whine about.

First, the Star Wars Demasters. Then, the Hunchback Legacy. The Rogue One expansion.

I worry about the Star Wars expansions and will continue to worry about them until MM is attached. And then I will still worry. I will just worry less.

37 minutes ago, Gibster said:

The Solo was was done really well. Does anyone like how they did it for Rogue One? I wasn’t very impressed

Powell produced and supervised the Solo expansion himself at his own production facility, 5 Cat Studios.

It's unclear who produced or assembled the Rogue One expansion. Given the shoddy editing, it seems little thought or effort was put into it.

Mindboggling how those extended silences reached the final assembly. You'd think someone in the pipeline would have noticed glaring issues like that (didn't the album masterer think to raise it??)

Somehow I doubt Giacchino had any involvement in the project.

On 11/08/2022 at 8:16 PM, blondheim said:

First, the Star Wars Demasters. Then, the Hunchback Legacy. The Rogue One expansion.

Exactly. Disney surely does not have the best track record when it comes to their classic scores. Which is why I think a possible JW Star Wars expansion by Disney would be less like the great MM albums for the specialty labels and more like TPM's Ultimate Edition or the Rogue One "deluxe" edition.

On 11/8/2022 at 10:58 AM, Jay said:

Oh, it's illogical all right!  They don't want to license the rights to anybody else, but they also don't want to spend the effort to expand them themselves.

Nobody wins!

Any chance the new Willow expansion helps at all with getting Disney to do something?

On 11/08/2022 at 4:58 PM, Jay said:

it's illogical all right!  They don't want to license the rights to anybody else, but they also don't want to spend the effort to expand them themselves.

Nobody wins!

Wait, do we know for sure that they haven't hired / won't hire Mike? Whar about the "everybody involved agrees it should happen" quote from 2019?

1 hour ago, Bounty95 said:

Wait, do we know for sure that they haven't hired / won't hire Mike?

Where did anybody claim that they haven't hired Mike, or won't hire Mike?  Why are you suggesting that?

1 hour ago, Bounty95 said:

Whar about the "everybody involved agrees it should happen" quote from 2019?

What do you mean?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Where did anybody claim that they haven't hired Mike, or won't hire Mike?  Why are you suggesting that?

In the post I quoted you said that Disney doesn't want to spend the effort to expand the Star Wars scores, which is frustrating for Mike. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What do you mean?

I remember us discussing a 2019 quote from Mike where he said that everyone involved agreed that the expansions should happen. I'm sure @Manakin Skywalkercan help me out here. 

On 11/08/2022 at 9:58 AM, Jay said:

I presume this is just an assumption/hearsay?

WINDU. You refer to the prophecy of The One, who will bring remastering to the Force. You believe it's this... Mike?

OBI-WAN. With all due respect, Master, aren’t the tapes baked?

YODA. A prophecy that misread could have been.

star-wars-samuel-l-jackson.gif

-Disney owns the scores now and have given no indication they will let any other label release albums for the 9 main episode scores by JW

-Disney chose to take every Sony Music editions of the scores off all digital streaming platforms and instead spent money to have have a team overseen by Shawn Murphy rebuild and remaster the original OST albums and put those on digital and streaming platforms instead

-There have been no announcements from anyone that they are working on complete editions of any of JW's scores

-Mike has only give vague statements that he would like to work on them, and that he's sure they will happen eventually

-Mike cannot work on them until someone in charge of the money and album release strategies decides to hire Mike and get a budget approved that covers the work needed to restore all 9 scores and make new albums of them

What more is there to say?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

why no sw we want sw

Why say lot word when few word do trick

1 hour ago, Jay said:

-Disney owns the scores now and have given no indication they will let any other label release albums for the 9 main episode scores by JW

-Disney chose to take every Sony Music editions of the scores off all digital streaming platforms and instead spent money to have have a team overseen by Shawn Murphy rebuild and remaster the original OST albums and put those on digital and streaming platforms instead

-There have been no announcements from anyone that they are working on complete editions of any of JW's scores

-Mike has only give vague statements that he would like to work on them, and that he's sure they will happen eventually

-Mike cannot work on them until someone in charge of the money and album release strategies decides to hire Mike and get a budget approved that covers the work needed to restore all 9 scores and make new albums of them

What more is there to say?

This makes perfect sense to me. As Mike said, patience.