E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - 40th Anniversary Edition from La-La Land Records

Jay

Well…people will have the 35th and 40th editions both! 😅

seriously…when they come from the pressing plant, no one takes a sample of the batch, open it and confirm everything is correct?

That’s the pressing plant’s job.

Once the run has started, by the time a copy finds its way to the label’s offices, is opened and checked, the run will be almost finished.

Judging by previous tantrums, it’s only a matter of time before we have people on here screaming about this mistake as if it’s a gross abuse of their human rights.

Mark

Actually I don't think that would be the case for the entire run, as I believe they do larger unit runs in batches, and just repress until they hit the maximum.

Of course, the label can sometimes choose to fix little issues found on a first run or make improvements, but the problem is overreactions to those issues, especially when said issues have nothing to do with the music itself. I hope no one would seriously suggest that LLL should repress any discs simply because they have the wrong anniversary on them, when the financial cost of that takes away directly from the development of new releases.

3 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Judging by previous tantrums, it’s only a matter of time before we have people on here screaming about this mistake as if it’s a gross abuse of their human rights.

The only person regularly making these hyperbolic statements seems to be you.

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Pffft. A real human rights violation is only showing Jaws in 3D! (Kidding. But seriously, people. What's wrong with you?!?)

I’m seeing it in 2D…

44 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Not showing here in 2d. But it's in quite a few places in 3d.

Dang that sucks. I would absolutely hate that. I wasn’t quite sure what you meant, because when I bought the tickets it gave me 2D vs 3D as an option but I definitely do not want to do 3D.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

The only person regularly making these hyperbolic statements seems to be you.

Goodness me, are you serious? You give me no choice but to quote you back to yourself:

“I got the second pressing and the foot was still cropped... early buyers really are getting shat on these days.”

A tiny part of a cover image was cropped and you described it as being ‘shat on’. And you say I’m the only purveyor of hyperbole here?

Yeah. Sure thing, bub.

Mark

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Like the revisited artwork for newer pressings with no missing foot? They really had no excuse not to use crumbs' one :angryfire:

Perhaps it was cheaper to realign the original artwork than pay crumbs for their effort :lol2:

8 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Perhaps it was cheaper to realign the original artwork than pay crumbs for their effort :lol2:

You'd be surprised. With the weak Australian dollar, I'm happy to be paid with beers. 

17 hours ago, Brando said:

Dang that sucks. I would absolutely hate that. I wasn’t quite sure what you meant, because when I bought the tickets it gave me 2D vs 3D as an option but I definitely do not want to do 3D.

Yeah, I can apparently drive an hour and at this particular time that's not happening. I have a nice TV and my sound is as good as any theater in 1975 so I'll just wait for a good rainy day and we'll watch it here.

(The clock is ticking though. Fathom is showing Poltergeist. And we can't watch E.T. until we've seen Jaws. And we can't watch Poltergeist until we've seen E.T. Proper parenting is complex!) (I'm waiting on Close Encounters until they won't think it's boring. We were starved for choice in 1977. I was just happy to be seeing a movie with space ships.)

This is probably a dumb question - and possibly one to which I once knew the answer - but has an "as written" take of the end credits ever been officially released? It was originally written to feature a quick sparkly intro, then more sparkly stuff over strings with piano accompaniment. You can hear a bit of the stuff after the intro at 2:37 here:

Then they must have done at least one take that omitted the strings but kept the sparkly stuff, because that's heard as a bonus track. And finally, you've got the familiar version that skips the intro and strips the theme down to just the piano at first. But what about the version in this video? Has it ever surfaced officially anywhere?

On 2/9/2022 at 8:44 AM, Tallguy said:

(The clock is ticking though. Fathom is showing Poltergeist. And we can't watch E.T. until we've seen Jaws. And we can't watch Poltergeist until we've seen E.T. Proper parenting is complex!) 

if you have a decent home TV, you can skip the Fathom Poltergeist.  I’ve never walked away impressed with a Fathom presentation.  It’s literally like watching a Blu Ray with the volume turned down. 

I'm a fan of lost media, I find the subject of media that was seen once and is now lost fascinating. A YT channel I follow did an episode last week on E.T., and I knew of this deleted scene before but forgotten about it, but basically there was a scene after the Departure where Elliot and the boys are playing D&D and Elliot is game master. As they're playing, the camera pans up and we see the device E.T. built to call home. Channel claims after John Williams' majestic cue was written, Spielberg decided to cut the scene since the cue gives you the emotional ending already. Has anyone else ever heard this claim before? Video is timestamped at the scene I'm talking about.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

After multiple delays, Mondo’s vinyl release finally came in and so far I’m not very impressed. The pressing for this is pretty bad and probably one of the worst sounding recordings I own with all the pops and a constant surface noise. I did a play through on one side before cleaning and then cleaned all four sides with my wet vac and didn’t notice any improvement. I went with the Full Moon variant, but from what I’ve heard, the Glowing heart and standard black sounds equally bad. 

For the variant color, the full moon was supposed to be a bit of a creamy white color with blue throughout and truly looked like the moon. Instead it’s just a clear record with blue splatter. It’s a very generic style that is overused. I’m not sure whose fault it is but I wish they could advertise with a concept that they actually know they can pull off. 

So the high point of the release is the artwork which I do really like. I haven’t read through the notes yet so I don’t have an opinion on those but I’ll post them here. 

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0765.png

9 minutes ago, Toillion said:

After multiple delays, Mondo’s vinyl release finally came in and so far I’m not very impressed. The pressing for this is pretty bad and probably one of the worst sounding recordings I own with all the pops and a constant surface noise. I did a play through on one side before cleaning and then cleaned all four sides with my wet vac and didn’t notice any improvement. I went with the Full Moon variant, but from what I’ve heard, the Glowing heart and standard black sounds equally bad. 

For the variant color, the full moon was supposed to be a bit of a creamy white color with blue throughout and truly looked like the moon. Instead it’s just a clear record with blue splatter. It’s a very generic style that is overused. I’m not sure whose fault it is but I wish they could advertise with a concept that they actually know they can pull off. 

So the high point of the release is the artwork which I do really like. I haven’t read through the notes yet so I don’t have an opinion on those but I’ll post them here. 

IMG_0757.jpeg

IMG_0758.jpeg

IMG_0760.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0761.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0765.png

Are you going to keep it or return it?

Strangely I noticed that all my second-hand LP's from the 70's/80's (some of which appear in poor condition) almost always sound better than new LP's that I purchase, whether from specialty labels or not. I don't know why, but for whatever reason every time I get colored vinyl there's usually significantly more pops/noise/high pitch whining compared to standard black vinyl. Might be a coincidence though, idk.

Most newer records I get also usually seem to have a cutoff around 44.1kHz, which, doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose? :lol:

If you look around various other hi-fi/music forums, you'll find that there are lots of complaints about many modern vinyl releases for similar reasons - I know of people who have returned Pink Floyd's latest Animal vinyl release up to five times for a replacement before quietly giving up.

My conclusion is that companies are putting out these releases because they sell, but often to people who mainly want them for their collectability and visual aesthetic. There's therefore little incentive for the companies to get their quality control of the actual vinyl really good. People who buy them because they want to listen to them closely are, inevitably, disappointed and may return them for replacement. However, if they're in the minority (which I believe they are), having to deal with a few returns isn't going to incentivise the companies to improve their quality control. And so, sadly, it continues.

Mark

That's why I love the CD format. More music, takes up less space, better sound quality, better price.

Same with the jump from VHS to DVD. 

On 22/5/2023 at 10:49 AM, Brando said:

Are you going to keep it or return it?

I’ve decided to email them and ask if I can return it for a replacement. I know the color will remain the same but I hope I can get one that sounds better at least. 

Apparently, a lot of people had yet to receive their copy yet. Mondo sent out an email saying that the rest of the orders are being delayed another two months due to a quality control issue. It sucks that they sent so many out to people that sound bad. Hopefully the second batch is better. 

58 minutes ago, Toillion said:

I’ve decided to email them and ask if I can return it for a replacement. I know the color will remain the same but I hope I can get one that sounds better at least. 

Apparently, a lot of people had yet to receive their copy yet. Mondo sent out an email saying that the rest of the orders are being delayed another two months due to a quality control issue. It sucks that they sent so many out to people that sound bad. Hopefully the second batch is better. 

I feel like anytime I see a post related to Mondo it's never anything good....That sucks, hopefully they get you a replacement.

On 23/05/2023 at 4:00 AM, JTW said:

Same with the jump from VHS to DVD. 

As much of an improvement over VHS as DVDs are, it's funny in retrospect to look back at them and realize just how *terrible* they look.

480i with compression artifacts...

There was a time in the mid to late 2000s when all you could buy were DVDs and yet you could watch TV in 1080p

It's quite fascinating honestly

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

It looks good on 576i PAL DVDs!

Yeah I remember this being a huge advantage in PAL markets! DVDs were a far higher resolution than NTSC, and boy was it noticeable. The only (major) downside was speeding up the frame rate from 23.976 to 25FPS.

But I'm glad we moved away from that once Blurays made 1080p standard.

12 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

As much of an improvement over VHS as DVDs are, it's funny in retrospect to look back at them and realize just how *terrible* they look.

480i with compression artifacts...

There was a time in the mid to late 2000s when all you could buy were DVDs and yet you could watch TV in 1080p

It's quite fascinating honestly

I was afraid, after buying a BluRay player (and BluRays), that I would never be able to watch DVDs ever again... but surprisingly, it looks good in the BluRay player, I don't know if it does something to the image or something, but it's still great for me.

Then again, I was mesmerized by Avatar without seeing it in the theaters and only enjoying it on DVD, a bunch of times.

When I got the Jurassic trilogy Blu-ray very cheap from an exchange, I did a quick comparison of #3 with my DVD, and it held up surprisingly well in comparison. It was a lot softer and probably had lots of compression problems during many sequences, but it would be watchable. Similarly, Fellowship didn't really go guns blazing over the DVD - I've gotten the impression that some films are shot a lot better and crisper than others.

Whereas we watched 1917 over Christmas and my Dad turned on the regular SD channel instead of the HD one to begin with, and it was immediately noticed that the picture was soft, fuzzy and generally looked 'meh'.

I think if you're watching in a window on one monitor, like I usually do, a DVD is reasonably good but when full screen (i.e. doing it properly), you need HD.

6 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Actually I just looked this up, it seems they can be both. Interesting.

I assumed 480i for all (NTSC at least) because the most recent one I watched was interlaced

Interestingly I don't think I own any interlaced DVDs, they're all 480p. I thought some of my older Star Trek sets might be, but it seems the interlacing was baked in.

On 23/05/2023 at 8:12 AM, QuartalHarmony said:

I know of people who have returned Pink Floyd's latest "Animals" vinyl release up to five times for a replacement before quietly giving up.

What's wrong with it? It it the 2018 mix, or the 1977 mix?