James Newton Howard & Xander Rodzinski - WILLOW (2022)

Edmilson

The article hints that he wasn’t there for filming, so I wonder how Madmartigan will be back - body double under a helmet a’la General Kael, and maybe some face shots filmed in California?  Deepfake?

On 17/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, LSH said:

I'm pretty confident he was going by James Newton Howard long before he entered the film world.

Yep. His stage name already included the "Newton" way back in 1975, before his (and Horner's) movie career.

james.JPG

My headcanon is ruined. Oh well...

DAMN THAT SOUNDS FUN!

Hearing flashes of Atlantis/Treasure Planet/Last Airbender and then *POOF* a little Willow theme flourish! 🥲 The end of the clip was getting into some gritty synth/guitar(?) work. 
Looking forward to this album and show very much.

Both the liner notes in the Intrada expansion and the introduction in the Omni book make it clear that that theme was never a theme specifically for Madmartigan; It was the film's adventurous theme.

Lead singer of Metallica.

Unless Disney is being super selective with the clips that feature Horner's themes, this feels like a troll on the basis that JNH's last Disney movie already features a song from the band (Nothing Else Matters) being incorporated into the score. It'd be a very weird thing to happen twice in a row, especially for very different projects.

Enter Sandman was used in Westworld and Djawadi did a great 20s version for the Temperance Park!

Seems a bit odd to use such a song in Willow lol but who knows. Looking forward to JNH’s score regardless and that tweeter seems like a troll.

Doesn't every Disney+ show get score albums?  Certainly something as high profile as Willow by someone as high profile as JNH was guaranteed one

On 15/11/2022 at 10:50 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I thought we also heard JNH was doing the last episode or two as well…Xander doing the middle three I think?

Yavar

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Certainly something as high profile as Willow by someone as high profile as JNH was guaranteed one

I fucking hope so.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Doesn't every Disney+ show get score albums?  Certainly something as high profile as Willow by someone as high profile as JNH was guaranteed one

For sure. My initial question  on the post was when the albums would be released. JNH responded with “yes” 😆

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Indeed, no brainer that this gets a release. Probably 2.

Volume 1: Episodes 1 -4 by James Newton Howard

Volume 2: Episodes 5-8 Xander Rorzinski

Per his website, Xander is the composer for Ep4-8, so he's working on 5 episodes in total. 

https://www.xanderrodzinski.com/about

17 hours ago, WampaRat said:

For sure. My initial question  on the post was when the albums would be released. JNH responded with “yes” 😆

Do you guys think it's JNH himself answering his fans on Instagram or is just his social media team?

On 3/8/2022 at 7:19 AM, TownerFan said:

It's certainly true that we can enjoy the cake without necessarily knowing how the cake was made. The only argument I would oppose to this is that in a field where people are valued by the outcome of their work, it feels like cheating to cover reality with smoke and mirrors. I mean, Hollywood's history is chock full of people getting credits, recognition and even accolades for work done by others, but a little more integrity would be nice to see.

I notice most people seem hyper focused on the main composing credit. The name on the album cover or on the movie poster. If a composer is credited on a cue sheet, they are getting paid and credited for their work. The integrity is there, just not always in a public marketing sense. 

Thats not to say ghostwriting doesn’t exist in the industry, which it absolutely does. But it’s been said publicly in the past, I think by either Zanelli or Neely, that Zimmer fights to get those music credits for his team. Studios push back on it for PR reasons.

So, seeing these music teams credited in booklets and on cue sheets, whether it’s a Zimmer project or any other composer, is a good thing. 

On 3/8/2022 at 12:05 PM, Clockwork Angel said:

Didn't Zimmer credit some people as the Sinister Six for Spider-Man?

Yes, he does it frequently actually. Zimmer has always approached film scoring with a “band” mentality. An Everlasting Piece is credited as Hans Zimmer & The Jigs. Black Hawk Down is credited as the “BHD Band” in the booklet. You already mentioned The Amazing Spider-Man 2 with The Sinister Six. 

On 3/8/2022 at 6:03 PM, Richard Penna said:

But then if it's true that almost all major composers have teams, then really we should be blaming the Hollywood machine, which maybe makes it harder to provide proper credit, or doesn't want to for PR reasons.

This is spot on. 

57 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Do you guys think it's JNH himself answering his fans on Instagram or is just his social media team?

Generally, it’s someone from their team. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I think it’s him…sometimes?

I think John Powell is occasionally personally active on his (he has a pretty telling sense of humor lol). But yes I also believe JNH has a team doing most of the work.

Yeah, IIRC wisps of it were used in episode 1 at least over the Reveal of Willow

Spoiler

and not over the reveal of Elora.  No clue if they use it over her in part 2 or beyond, but not sure that lush theme works much in this show or over that specific character tbh.  I like it better as a Willow theme 

Thinking about it more and very appreciative that they aren’t much fuckin’ around on this one - they’re already off on The Adventure by the halfway point of the first episode.  Feel like a lot of recent fantasy shows would have maybe wrapped episode 1 around the midway castle attack.

Exactly my thoughts. A lot has happened in these 2 episodes, which I really like.

All the characters are introduced and explored and we've seen different locations, some action scenes and a big reveal. Usually that's either the halfway point or the finale. So I'm very excited to see where the story goes

• 2 weeks later...

Ohh that's nice! I cannot wait to hear this outside the show, as I think there are some great cues sprinkled through. I have especially enjoyed the different variations on the new main theme, and some choral material which I think it's related to Elora Danan. Plus the bits of Horner's themes which are mostly great!

I guess they're doing one release for James Newton Howard's episodes and another release at the end of the season with Rodzinski's music for the other 5 episodes right?

Looking forward to giving this a listen. Episode 4 also had the appearance of a particularly famous Horner motif 😊 I’ve become reconciled that the show, as mstrox just described is indeed intended for an edge-y tween/teen demographic. Like Disney’s “Descendants” with a bigger budget. And written about that same level. Ah well. 

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/12/15/details-for-disneys-willow-volume-1-episodes-1-3-soundtrack-album-revealed/

The full details of the first soundtrack album for Lucasfilm’s Disney+ original series Willowhave been revealed. The album features selections of the original music from the first three episodes composed by Academy Award nominee James Newton Howard (The Hunger Games, King Kong, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Maleficent, The Sixth Sense, The Fugitive, Signs). The soundtrack will be released digitally tomorrow, December 16 by Walt Disney Records. Check back on this page for the streaming/download link. A second volume featuring Xander Rodzinski’s music from the rest of the season is expected to come out in the coming weeks. Willow is developed by Jonathan Kasdan based on Ron Howard’s 1988 movie of the same title and stars Warwick Davis, Ruby Cruz, Ellie Bamber, Tony Revolori, Erin Kellyman, Amar Chadha-Patel, Dempsey Bryk and Joanne Whalley. The first four episodes of the fantasy series are now available to stream and four more episodes will debut over the next couple of weeks on Disney+.

Here’s the album track list:

1. Hidden Away (2:13)
2. One Day (1:13)
3. A Reputation (2:05)
4. Until That Day (1:48)
5. Castle Romances (1:27)
6. I’ll Go (4:30)
7. Succeed or Fail (2:16)
8. Campfire (1:14)
9. What Happened to Elora? (2:14)
10. Abandoned Post (1:27)
11. Crossing the Barrier (1:39)
12. Vigilant (2:01)
13. Royal Heirs (1:35)
14. Last Best Hope (2:24)
15. This Is Where We Live (2:09)
16. Consulting the Bones (1:54)
17. Revealed (1:21)
18. She Needs Our Help (2:30)
19. Nelwyn Village (2:12)
20. I Need You (2:18)
21. Treasure Hunter (1:39)
22. Focus (1:26)
23. You Are Extraordinary (1:36)
24. Dark Vision (1:57)
25. Epic Tales (1:37)
26. You’re Not Yourself (1:52)
27. Outnumbered (3:13)
28. The Veil (1:28)
29. The Mark (2:02)
30. Less Than Honorable (1:43)
31. Indestructible Magic Armor (1:51)
32. Back in the Wagon (3:40)
33. You Did Good (4:15)

Warning!!!!

One of the best cues from the show, the castle fight scene in episode 1, is NOT on the album.

How the fuck did that happen? It has some exciting action material and great statements of Horner's themes.

I'm honestly angry about it