James Newton Howard & Xander Rodzinski - WILLOW (2022)

Edmilson

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Warning!!!!

One of the best cues from the show, the castle fight scene in episode 1, is NOT on the album.

How the fuck did that happen? It has some exciting action material and great statements of Horner's themes.

I'm honestly angry about it

Maybe this cue was done by XR and will appear on the second album? One can hope.

7 hours ago, LSH said:

Mad that we get two scores released almost simultaneously which pay tribute to Horner. Danger motif in both too. Bonkers.

Yes. I only wish it were the other way around -- that Franglen could mess up the already messed-up WILLOW, and that JNH could add his greatness to the greatness of AVATAR 2.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Do you really think he would have touched this series?

Karol

Hence “potentially” 😉

Im sure he’d have been tempted if only to revisit and expand on a work that he was proud of. Or maybe just out of pride/vanity lol. 

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Do you really think he would have touched this series?

"No, I'll stay dead thank you!"

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I hope so, because it makes absolutely no sense to leave it off

Maybe someone could ask JNH on Instagram? He (or his social media team) are usually very open to fans there. 

Just finished listening the album on Spotify. It's not bad, but anyone hoping to listen to more of Horner's themes will be disappointed. This is a very typical late-career JNH fantasy score, with parts reminding me of Raya and the Last Dragon, Fantastic Beasts 2 and 3, Jungle Cruise, The Huntsman: Winter War, etc. 

Maybe it is a little too long, with some uninteresting tracks? Secrets of Dumbledore suffered from the same issue. And if there are better cues from these first 3 episodes that could've been included, then it's even worse. Still, there are some good moments for those who like JNH in his fantasy mode.

Willow album episode breakdown:
Episode 1: 1 - 14
Episode 2: 15 - 24
Episode 3: 25 - 33
Tracks are chronological

I also saw Rodzinski credited as additional composer on episode 1. So maybe he did score the castle fight and they decided to put all his music on a 2nd volume.

I can't believe they would not release the standout action track/scene of the first 4 episodes

Listened to most of it in the car today and really enjoyed it - ultimately fairly standard JNH fantasy fare but rarely a dull moment.

Can't say I spotted anything obvious in the way of new themes but it flowed nicely as an album. Very strong War Water Horse vibes in a few places but that's to be expected.

Unfortunately 7Digital currently wants an outrageous £17 for lossless so I may just listen on Spotify for a bit and think about buying later.

54 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Very strong War Horse vibes in a few places but that's to be expected.

Wait, what? Why is that expected? 

• 3 weeks later...

JNH is credited on the cover for vol 2. I don't think he wrote cues for these later episodes though, he just provided themes and material for XR to work with. But I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

JNH is credited on the cover for vol 2. I don't think he wrote cues for these later episodes though, he just provided themes and material for XR to work with. But I could be wrong.

JNH did episodes 1-4. Rodzinski worked on 5-8.

So this is an 8 episode show, and the composing duties were exactly split in half, but instead of doing Vol 1 of episodes 1-4 by JNH and Vol 2 of episodes 5-8 done by XR, they are doing 3 volumes consisting of 3 episodes, 3 episodes, and 2 episodes?

6 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

JNH did episodes 1-4. Rodzinski worked on 5-8.

I know. The first album covers only the JNH-scored episodes and credits only him in the cover. The second album though covers the episodes that were supposedly scored only by XR, but the album cover credits both JNH and XR, which I think is because the former contributed with the themes that Xander used in his episodes.

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I know. The first album covers only the JNH-scored episodes and credits only him in the cover. The second album though covers the episodes that were supposedly scored only by XR, but the album cover credits both JNH and XR, which I think is because the former contributed with the themes that Xander used in his episodes.

The first album covers 1-3 of 4 JNH scored episodes weirdly. The new album covers episodes 4-6 according to the cover so 1 JNH plus 2 Rodzinski episodes. It’s weird that they didn’t just do 2 releases 1-4 and 5-8.

6 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

So you'd prefer them releasing LESS music? That's a new one.

The last episode was already an hour long, and I'll assume the final episode will be even longer than that. So it's good they are doing a third volume for those.

No of course not lol. More music is always better.

Pay-checks and loyalty aside, why do you think JNH accepts these trash projects?

/s

JNH only did episodes 1-3.

The credits in the episodes from episide 4 on is:

Main Themes By James Newton Howard

Music By Xander Rodzinski

Original Willow Themes By James Horner

So I think Howard is credited on the 2nd volume because his themes are used in pretty much every cue.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

JNH only did episodes 1-3.

The credits in the episodes from episide 4 on is:

Main Themes By James Newton Howard

Music By Xander Rodzinski

Original Willow Themes By James Horner

So I think Howard is credited on the 2nd volume because his themes are used in pretty much every cue.

That’s interesting. JNH said on Facebook how Rodzinski did a great job on episodes 5-8.

1 hour ago, LSH said:

Pay-checks and loyalty aside, why do you think JNH accepts these trash projects?

/s

Maybe he enjoyed the movie and wanted to score it but then he saw how bad the show was so he only scored half lol

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

That’s interesting. JNH said on Facebook how Rodzinski did a great job on episodes 5-8.

True, I honestly feel that Howard did a typo. Because Rodzinski has a post in Instagram where he said he worked on 4-8.

5 hours ago, LSH said:

Either out of a sense of professionalism or he doesn't think they're trash.

JNH once said something about The Postman which implied he thought it was a terrible movie, but his job was to try to help it with music. In another case an interviewer mentioned Mumford in a negative light, and JNH pushed back and said he liked it. Who knows how often a composer finds their current project truly awful.

On 06/01/2023 at 8:49 AM, mstrox said:

Middling projects perfect for a middling film composer!

Life's too short to listen to JNH?

On 06/01/2023 at 12:46 PM, LSH said:

My comment was deliberately cynical but I get your point.

No, I get it, and I do think there are a ton of projects where I think he most likely does do it due to a working relationship or he likes the story, because the results don't suggest a composer at the height of inspiration. I'm not talking about this show, more a lot of the smaller, intimate dramas he does which feel like basically anyone could have scored them.

On 07/01/2023 at 8:34 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Dunno what’s wrong with a bit of overlapping material here and there, but good news!

Yavar

It's one of his first releases properly under his name - I can see some major overthinking in choosing what to release, and if he thinks he did that part better in another cue, he might decide he doesn't want to release it as it's not him as his best.

Maintaining his relationship with Disney is a possibility here, since it's easy to get cynical in thinking other studios would want to hire more from the RCP camp for every single thing as the years pass by, so a safety net would definitely be nice for someone like him. I don't sincerely feel it to be the case, but I figured I'd mention it before someone else says it in even less charitable terms.

I personally think he probably thought this was a good opportunity for Xander to make an impression on the mainstream after helping out on his last few projects. A famous IP from a famous studio is definitely a good way to introduce yourself, so if anything else it gave them that particular chance at least.

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I wonder what interest jnh had in this series if the source material and horner legacy homage is practically nonexistant.

The showrunner is one of the sons of Lawrence Kasdan, who has always worked with Howard since "Grand Canyon" including last year "Light & Magic" docummentary.

The Vol 3 OST album is up on iTunes NZ

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/willow-vol-3-episodes-7-8-original-soundtrack/1664542526

1. The Day Never Ends (1:44)
2. Breaking the Ice (3:32)
3. Zeb (2:07)
4. New Girl (1:54)
5. Scrambled or Poached (3:03)
6. The Mudmander (1:38)
7. Combat Training (2:52)
8. What Is Real? (3:08)
9. Getting Close (1:40)
10. Admissions (3:09)
11. Not Worthy (1:54)
12. Courtyard Attack (5:22)
13. How Far We’d Go (2:45)
14. Not How This Ends (3:41)
15. Harbinger (2:46)
16. Bigger Than Anything (1:57)
17. Loyal (1:35)
18. Into the Light (1:39)
19. This Can’t Be Real (1:54)
20. Try Harder! (1:29)
21. The Wyrm (3:15)
22. Remember Who You Are (1:50)
23. Your Own Path (1:03)
24. Help Arrives (3:50)
25. Facing Off (5:05)
26. Last Gasp (2:39)
27. The Most Powerful Thing in the Universe (2:18)
28. Closing Chapter (2:50)