How do you keep track of new soundtrack releases?

PokeDocMatt

My soundtrack interest was formed when iTunes was first released, and for the longest time, I’d check every Friday/Tuesday for new soundtracks from Films, TV, and video games. A lot of my limited teenage income when to digital albums in those days!

But now, I’ve got a large library with lots of good music, Spotify, etc… and I feel like I’ve lost touch with new releases. I’m not talking about expansions, deluxe editions. Just new music. I get a lot of info from this forum. Sometimes my interest gets piqued and I’ll check something out. 

Spotify seems to be useless for finding new scores unless I’m explicitly looking for a specific album. Unless I’m looking in the wrong place? 

Do you have a favorite or frequently used resource or website to discover new soundtracks?

I use Film Music Reporter and JWFan itself to keep track of new scores being released every week. 

However, these days there are few composers whose new scores I listen on the minute they drop. The guy on my profile pic, for example, is one of them, as well as Powell, Elfman, Giacchino and, of course, Williams.

Aside from those guys, though, I prefer listening to older scores.

I'm using Discogs, it's the best way to know what each speciality label released.

Or in the advanced search/filters, select genre "Stage & screen", format CD and year 2022, you'll see what you missed this year. :lol:

I use filmmusicreporter a lot to keep up to date. I'm a big fan of a lot of scores released 'right now', as well as older stuff.

And I always make a list at the beginning of the year with film/series scores which I'm looking forward to with the dates, so I know when to expect them. I update this 4 or 5 times a year

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I use Film Music Reporter

THEY'RE MISSING A LOT OF STUFF LIKE RE-RECORDINGS AND THEY DON'T EVEN LIST EXPANSIONS!

18 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

FSM

OH COM'ON!

Try Discord and play with the search criterias...

image.png

image.png

Then, I suggest to browse by country, option on the left side in the results page (if you're not interested in the japanese releases, by example...) :

image.png

Here, Filmmusicreporter and I investigate at least the existence of a score release for everything I watch, even if it doesn't lead onto actually listening (if the music didn't do anything for me).

I don't. I wait to hear what other people are talking about and go from there.

Otherwise most of my time is spent going through the back-catalogues of composers I like.

I don't keep up with modern scores unless it gets a lot of good word of mouth.  One way you can find out about that is the General Discussion part of this message board.  This thread in particular would probably point you in the right direction"

What is the Last Score You Listened to for 2022?

I honestly think that would give you all you'd need, but if you felt like more then film score monthly's message board should be enough.

Like I said, I don't personally spend a lot of time on new scores, but I'm sure there are podcasts out there that would help, such as Cinematic Sound.

For me, part of the fun of getting into film music is discovering not only new stuff, but stuff that was before my time.  Maybe you'll find some old stuff that's new to you that you really like.

I keep track of what the new releases are from the specialty labels, and I track new albums from Williams and Elfman.  Other than that, I’m not really attentive - I listen to stuff in movies and go from there.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

OH COM'ON!

Try Discord and play with the search criterias...

image.png

image.png

Then, I suggest to browse by country, option on the left side in the results page (if you're not interested in the japanese releases, by example...) :

image.png

I only use Discogs to track down older releases for sale, mostly non-speciality label stuff from the 80s and 90s.

I don't keep track of things right now. The past few years have been a mess with trying to keep up with new music.

I used to be active and looking for news of releases almost everywhere in my more obsessive days (from my late teens up until around 8-10 years ago). 

Now I get all my news here unless it somehow gets to me first.

14 hours ago, Anthony said:

I don't. I wait to hear what other people are talking about and go from there.

Otherwise most of my time is spent going through the back-catalogues of composers I like.

Absolutely this too.

I wonder: with so many great scores written on the previous decades by some of the greatest composers who ever lived just waiting for being discovered (and rediscovered)... Why the hell would I waste my time with a crappy newer score written by some Joe Whatever? 

Most recent scores all sound like this, to be honest:

Spoiler

Which is why, unless I hear some truly positive buzz, I won't press play on a recent score that isn't written by JNH, Powell or Williams... and maybe Giacchino, Elfman and Silvestri.

56 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Which is why, unless I hear some truly positive buzz, I won't press play on a recent score that isn't written by JNH, Powell or Williams... and maybe Giacchino, Elfman and Silvestri.

I have to admit, this is true for me also.

However, I also have to admit that I no longer have the time or effort that I used to, discovering new stuff. Shot myself in the foot in my early days by searching and cataloguing everything I could get my hands on. I still love and listen to a lot of stuff that I've found in the past 20 years but, in retrospect, I wish I'd have done it slower so that I would still be finding great scores now that I haven't heard. Too much, too soon.

Because, let's face it, truly great scores aren't exactly ten-a-penny these days. Look at the bumping of the John Powell's Solo thread. Already reminiscing about a great score that was only four years ago.

On 04/08/2022 at 8:28 PM, PokeDocMatt said:

Do you have a favorite or frequently used resource or website to discover new soundtracks?

JWFan

On 06/08/2022 at 4:02 AM, Edmilson said:

I think it's worth pressing play on a lot more than that, but acknowledging that you'll press stop not long after for quite a lot of stuff. I trial a lot of stuff on Spotify in the full expectatation that I'll probably get 5 minutes in and get bored, but just occasionally you come across something really amazing.

I suppose the composers I monitor more than others would be JNH, Powell, Beltrami, Gia and HGW. JW doesn't need 'monitoring' as everyone knows when he's done a new score.

Information about new releases can be found in many places. But what is worth highlighting are the recomendation threads around here like "The Last Score You Listened to...". These I find quite informative from time to time. After some time you realize, who has a similar taste and who not.

theres nothing new i keep an eye out for.

if i see a new movie and like the score, i'll check it out.

jonny greenwood is the only composer i currently check out without seeing the film.