Cameron Moody - exceptional musical talent

michael_grig

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

Thankfully the posts here are somewhat civil so far, but please keep in mind that he's a young person and a human being. Despite peoples' thoughts on the whole "next John Williams" thing he didn't draw that comparison himself.

I mean the dude that made this thread didn't really think that all through. Already seen a couple good spirited, lighthearted moody jokes here. The dude went overzealous.

It's kind of a shame because Moody is obviously gifted as heck.  But you don't really do the dude a service coming into a JWfan forum, make a comment about JW dying and also say he talks like Williams. It's like what are you doing?

Also I don't believe there are next versions of someone so great. Regardless of how great any young composer turns out to be.

But all that said, Moody is on my radar to listen to!

Thank you for this beautiful argument, @p0llux!

As others have said, Moody is a great admirer of Williams, so I'm sure he'd be delighted to hear a sentence like that. Of course it can put great pressure on someone to have a great future predicted. But he's almost certainly not reading this at all, since he's not on the forum as far as I know.

We've already been given one John Williams, so it's all good already.

And JW's work will last forever. If you are not that interested in the great work of others, you can stay with Williams, there should be enough to discover and perceive.

1 hour ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

What is the problem with this?

It just came off weird to me is all as a comparison. But you know I think I'm just misreading you.

You're good dude. 

I feel so bad about Giacchino….hailed as the next john williams yet life treated him so badly. Just look at his career…. 

if only he had been a little bit more successful….nowadays he would be scoring every single f*cking film out there….

sarcasm mode off 😜

I've just checked out some of his stuff. I don't know...it's extremely derivative, but most notable composers went through a derivative phase. Hopefully he gets enough work to create his own voice, because there is some talent there. In the current state of Hollywood, and the film scores that are in vogue, I'm not sure he will. At least he sounds like he composes by ear, and not midi playback. I don't know if JNH or Giacchino compose by computer, but the muddiness of their orchestration and repetitiveness of their rhythms lead me to believe they do. 

Like I said, I think it will come down to practice and the amount of work he gets. JW spent years writing for weekly radio and tv shows before really hitting it big with feature films. And even then it took him almost another decade to really come into his own voice, by then in his forties. They don't really score tv shows anymore. I think in a different world we could've had this same conversation about Joel McNeely twenty years ago, and that hasn't really worked out either. 

15 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Like I said, I think it will come down to practice and the amount of work he gets. JW spent years writing for weekly radio and tv shows before really hitting it big with feature films.

Do you mean JG? I wasn't aware of (m)any radio scores by JW. Can you point me towards some?

Yavar

3 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Sorry, I thought the General Electric Theater and Kraft Mystery Theater were radio programs, but I guess not. But still, a lot of T.V. stuff.

Absolutely! I know that both Goldsmith and Herrmann did a lot of CBS radio scoring I just didn't recall Williams doing any.

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...