Michael Kamen & Henry Mancini - LIFEFORCE (1985) - NEW! 2022 Intrada albums

Jay

• 4 weeks later...

Pfda88d.jpeg

Received these fairly quickly after the Mancini set started shipping.

As expected, the main highlight is the improved sound quality. There’s so much detail within the highlight tracks that you couldn't really hear much on the BSX release. It's such a glow up that I'd say it even surpasses the album master (which I'm a little more unsure about in regards to the copy present of it here).

The orchestral Kamen cues are definitely welcome, but I kind of feel like the excerpts on the prior expansion was solid enough, since the remaining added material didn't really do much for me. Of course, I expect to feel differently on a subsequent listen (especially since I heard it in a very unideal environment), as it took another go for me to appreciate that particular selection more.

I did wish there was a cue list breakdown on both sets, since some of the sequencing decisions certainly intrigue me. Mainly with the HM set combining and splitting different cues, but also with one particular decision made on the MK set:

Spoiler

C5YGzi7.png

It appears that they've put two versions of the same cue in very close proximity within the main program. I legitimately have no idea if this is because it actually plays twice in the movie, or if because Intrada figured people would treat the orchestral and synth cues as separate presentations. Regardless of that, it sticks out like a sore thumb, and I feel it would've been better off being in the extras section if the differences aren't too major.

Lastly:

On 15/08/2022 at 3:48 PM, HunterTech said:

I am curious if one of the mixes of Grandson of Web is the film one that came slightly damaged from the master BSX used. Probably would've specified if it had choir, but then it's likely there are other differences too.

I did actually find my answer, but not quite in the way I expected it. The alternative mix for Grandson of Web of Destiny is indeed pulled straight from the BSX release (the only track to do so, since everything else comes from the newer sources). But curiously: the main version of the track also has choir in that exact same section. Given it seemed to be the only major difference between both on the old set, I wonder why Intrada decided to keep it (especially since they didn't fix the glitch at 1:29). While the OST does contain a version without the choir, the whole album is such a different mix that the main version of the cue from the prior expansion could count as the one missing piece here.

In any case, even with all these notes I've made, these are still very superb releases that I would recommend for anyone who has a large affinity for the music and wants the best presentation for it.

30 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

It appears that they've put two versions of the same cue in very close proximity within the main program. I legitimately have no idea if this is because it actually plays twice in the movie, or if because Intrada figured people would treat the orchestral and synth cues as separate presentations. Regardless of that, it sticks out like a sore thumb, and I feel it would've been better off being in the extras section if the differences aren't too major.

Look at the back cover of the Kamen CD.  They clearly presented all the orchestral cues first as its own program, then all the synth cues second as a second program.  So track 3 is part of the orchestra program, and track 6 is the beginning of the synth program.

Or maybe I am not understanding what you are trying to say.

I'm very well aware of the separation, and yet I do have to ask: isn't there usually a lengthy silence at the end of the last main track to designate the end of a section? Because there isn't one in the last orchestral cue, so it definitely flows as if it's all supposed to be played in one go.

Admittedly, I do think I'm maybe projecting past frustrations people have had with this particular kind of presentation (mainly with Apollo 13), since I certainly would've preferred it just be in chronological order. Plus, listening to the set again just now, there's enough added to the synth version that it barely manages to keep itself from feeling too redundant. I guess I'd just like to know more about the thought process is all.

So having never seen the film I made myself sit through it. Took me 3 sittings. I admire the vision but man what a bad film. Wonder if that actress ever performed in another film after it. Surprised how much nudity was in it too… wasn’t expecting that. Score was great… as if written for a different film.

On 20/09/2022 at 5:22 PM, Jay said:

The only rule this board has about nudity is that it must be put in a spoilerblock behind a NSFW warning

You're playing with fire.

NSFW:

Spoiler

668.jpg

• 2 months later...

So, now that everyone except me has had these for a while, what's the consensus: Is the Mancini set worth having if I have the old 2CD release and don't play it often, but when I do am always amazed by it?

It absolutely is a leap in quality in terms of the sound. Plus having the choir version of the finale cue without the weird brief distortion is a definite plus (even if it makes the sole BSX holdover pretty confusing if there was no choirless version on the original master tapes). The extras don't really offer much in the way of any replay value, but they're a fun curiosity for one listen. Only real complaint is that I'm not fond of some of the track combos (Call Of The Wild should've stayed two separate cues).

Since you say you don't listen to the score often, you probably should hear the samples on the website to decide if it'd be enough of an improvement to your ears to warrant a purchase.

Yeah, typical Kamen. He can show off with a few bombastic licks but the rest is pretty banal. Unless he finds an angle that makes it interesting - Lethal Weapon - and not talking about Clapton and Sanborn here.