Do You Have a VPN You Recommend?

Andy

Does anyone have a VPN service you would recommend?  I use an iMac, and would like to use a VPN, but I don't know anything about them, and I'm really cheap when it comes to stuff like that.  Is there a VPN you can use for a month and then cancel?  

Edit: meant to post in the Other Topics section of it needs to be moved. 

I don't know what exactly you want to do but i use this free extension for chrome, and I can have access to sites that normally i wouldn't due to country restrictions:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/free-vpn-for-chrome-vpn-p/majdfhpaihoncoakbjgbdhglocklcgno

Free VPN's are bs 99% of the time. Most are either filled with malware, or won't actually mask your IP.

Personally I've used Surfshark for years, they're pretty cheap compared to most others and works perfectly.

20 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Free VPN's are bs 99% of the time. Most are either filled with malware, or won't actually mask your IP.

Yes. I haven't much VPN experience myself - took me years to settle on one, mainly for Netflix and BBC, and I ended up with Getflix, which at some point stopped working (at least for Netflix). Haven't used it for much else, but general consensus is that free VPNs are privacy hell.

40 minutes ago, Andy said:

Is it pretty easy to use and know it’s being effective for a casual user like me?

Very easy to use, at least for me. I know it's one of the more popular ones. I also had to check if it's compatible with Apple computers, which it is, so that's good.

I’m not the kind of user who would use it all the time.  I’m more sporadic, needing it for a couple weeks and then going dormant for a while. 

I remember I paid a VPN once when I was very in need, buy I mean very very very much... and I know it was bad, but it was to download/watch an Aznavour documentary only available in France. :mellow:

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Does anyone have a VPN service you would recommend?  I use an iMac, and would like to use a VPN, but I don't know anything about them, and I'm really cheap when it comes to stuff like that.  Is there a VPN you can use for a month and then cancel?  

Before you invest in anything I would strongly recommend asking yourself why you want a VPN in the first place.

If it's only to access some websites from other regions of the world then just about any VPN will work, I've personally used TunnelBear for their free location browsing when I've needed to.

If it's because you want some additional privacy or anonymity online I would recommend stopping and doing a bit more research into what you're getting yourself into. VPNs are not anonymous. Many VPN providers will claim to not make logs or to not record IP addresses, but you have no way of verifying these claims. All you have is their word. Just last year, ProtonMail (the same company of ProtonVPN), what was once a highly respected privacy email provider, was caught logging IP addresses for the French government to get someone arrested:

The reality is that most VPNs don't really offer that much protection, and really just charge you money in order to slow your internet down.

Especially when you get into accounts and stuff, if you sign into an account without a VPN (such as your Google account, or the JWFAN account you posted this with), and then you sign into the same account with a new IP address from a VPN, it will be obvious to any outside observer that it's still you signing in.

For all these reasons, I wouldn't really recommend a VPN for privacy reasons at all. But if you are still hellbent on paying for the illusion of privacy you could try out this:

But if that's what you're looking for you're probably better off going with the Tor network

7 hours ago, Alex said:

I use ExpressVPN because the free ones slowed my browser down too much 

That's the only one I've ever used.  Worked like a charm, as far as I could tell; but I'm no expert on any of this stuff, so take that with a grain of salt.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I've used a VPN on my iMac before. I tried NordVPN, which a lot of people use. It was alright, but sometimes it slowed my internet, which was annoying. Also, I wouldn't say I like to spend too much money on stuff like this.

You can find VPNs where you can pay for a month and then stop if you want. That's good for trying them out. But, honestly, I switched to the proxy after using the VPN. I use one from proxys.io now. It's cheaper and doesn't slow down my internet like the VPN did. It works well for just surfing the web and watching shows from other countries.