15 essential John Williams scores, ranked (Entertainment Weekly)

80sFan

A very thoughtful list.  I would throw in an Oliver Stone movie in there somewhere, but good.  It is amazing to think that it is truly difficult to do a list like this for Williams--so many deserving scores (early career too).  A very nice problem to have.  

It's an "updated" list, they are few, so it's welcome!

Playing excertps from "Far and Away" in concert since so many years and having recorded a new arragement (with Mutter) had finally paid off!

It is funny somehow like Saving Private Ryan holds the position in that list of essential scores as an example for a score where Williams is able to contribute very few music to a film. Apart from that aspect I also would have rather seen Born on the 4th of July, A.I. or Lincoln as drama scores or The Lost World as some kind of turing point in Williams action scoring.

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Hmm... I would substitute Saving Private Ryan with Hook, which is one of the richest thematically and orchestration wise scores I've ever heard.

I'd keep SPR and sub out Far and Away with Hook

Hook was never really a landmark score for Williams. It was just another Spielberg score at it's time. It probably would have been regarded more special if it would have turned out as the musical as which it was originally planned. It's just some kind of fan favourite, I would say. 

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Hook was never really a landmark score for Williams. It was just another Spielberg score. It probably would have been regarded more special if it would have turned out as the musical as which it was originally planned. It's just some kind of fan favourite, I would say. 

I mean he's consistently programmed the concert piece for the last 30 years.  To do that for music from a film that was a critical flop means it's obviously a score that JW himself considers important in his oeuvre.

49 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean he's consistently programmed the concert piece for the last 30 years.  To do that for a financial and critical flop means it's obviously a score that JW himself considers important in his oeuvre.

I am not sure, If Williams' personal opinion really was a criterion for that list.

There are a number of scores that could be on that list and rub shoulders with the best of ‘em.

• How To Steal A Million
  • Born On The Fourth Of July
  • JFK
  • Seven Years In Tibet
  • Amistad
  • The Patriot
  • A.I.
  • The Terminal
  • Munich
  • Tintin
  • Lincoln

Each movie iconic. There’s just too many of ‘em!

It’s hard to make a list that you’d recommend for others rather than a personal favorite list.   But if I were writing the article as an all-time great list, I’d try to shake things up a little too.  For example I would choose The Lost World instead of Jurassic Park, and Home Alone 2 over the original. Perhaps Azkaban over the original.   

I could replace War Horse with Jane Eyre, which while a more obscure film, represents to me a more significant landmark in scoring style in his career. 

Both are cracking good scores though.  There’s really no wrong choices.  Pretty much anything is defendable. 

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

Might head on over to the pet peeves thread after seeing this list as well..... I'll never not cringe when seeing "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark"

🤢

Yeah, to me that movie will always be Raiders of the Lost Ark, without the words "Indiana" or "Jones". 

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, to me that movie will always be Raiders of the Lost Ark, without the words "Indiana" or "Jones". 

‘Star Wars’. 

FIXED!

15. Star Wars

14. Star Wars

13. Star Wars

12. Star Wars

11. Star Wars

10. Star Wars

9. Star Wars

8. Star Wars

7. Star Wars

6. Star Wars

5. Star Wars

4. Star Wars

3. Star Wars

2. Star Wars

1. Star Wars

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

FIXED!

15. Star Wars

14. Star Wars

13. Star Wars

12. Star Wars

11. Star Wars

10. Star Wars

9. Star Wars

8. Star Wars

7. Star Wars

6. Star Wars

5. Star Wars

4. Star Wars

3. Star Wars

2. Star Wars

1. Star Wars

He’s doing ANOTHER two trilogies?!  🤣

I have no idea what kind of an entertainment this Entertainment Weekly is (I'm assuming it's some periodical, or other), but it reads like Classic FM's top whatever, which, if Classic FM is to believed, the greatest score ever written, is PIRATES OF THE FUCKING CARRIBBEAN! ROTFLMAO

Much better to have chosen three scores from each decade of his career (60s; 70s; 80s; 90s; this century) as a way to illustrate how his work has not influenced, and developed, over time.

This "lowest common denominator" crap is unworthy of JWfan.