Alan Menken's ALADDIN (1992) - 2022 Disney Legacy Collection

Jay

Cautiously excited for this, the Legacy Collection track record so far isn't great, but more unreleased music is always welcome!

Wonder if they'll have many demo's? (Although can't see the original Arabian Nights demo being included)

Earlier I listened this film's ballad - a whole new world - after a very long time and, my oh my, it hasn't lost its touch. Not at all. Liz Callaway Lea Salonga is not just singing in this one. Her voice is so full of joy as if she actually is riding that carpet and seeing those sights, and experiencing that sense of liberation from the palace and all that.  This is one of those songs that more than deserved the award it won.

I, too, wasn't really impressed with the way they have been handling these Menken LC sets but I am still very, very, very happy that they were released. I never ever thought these would see the lights of the day.

Hopefully they will add Hercules to the list too. Just now I realized they are making a live-action version of that with Guy Ritchie directing. If his take on Aladdin is anything to go by, this might mean that the score-side of Hercules is in for some improvement - possibly away from the, largely comical - Carl Stalling flavored, score in the 1997 film. Would be great if Menken gets to flesh out that cool hero theme he wrote for the old animated film. It didn't get much "screen time" there.

9 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Cautiously excited for this, the Legacy Collection track record so far isn't great, but more unreleased music is always welcome!

Wonder if they'll have many demo's? (Although can't see the original Arabian Nights demo being included)

You mean the one where "they cut off your ear if they don't like your face"?

4 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Earlier I listened this film's ballad - a whole new world - after a very long time and, my oh my, it hasn't lost its touch. Not at all. Liz Callaway is not just singing in this one. Her voice is so full of joy as if she actually is riding that carpet and seeing those sights, and experiencing that sense of liberation from the palace and all that.  This is one of those songs that more than deserved the award it won.

I, too, wasn't really impressed with the way they have been handling these Menken LC sets but I am still very, very, very happy that they were released. I never ever thought these would see the lights of the day.

Hopefully they will add Hercules to the list too. Just now I realized they are making a live-action version of that with Guy Ritchie directing. If his take on Aladdin is anything to go by, this might mean that the score-side of Hercules is in for some improvement - possibly away from the, largely comical - Carl Stalling flavored, score in the 1997 film. Would be great if Menken gets to flesh out that cool hero theme he wrote for the old animated film. It didn't get much "screen time" there.

It’s Lea Salonga who played Jasmine. She is also the voice of Mulan.

Liz Calloway was Anastasia. Not a Disney princess, but close.

28 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

They used the original lyrics in Savages “Their whole disgusting race is like a curse” so maybe.

10 minutes ago, blondheim said:

They used the original lyrics in Savages “Their whole disgusting race is like a curse” so maybe.

But they ommited the “dirty redskin devils” which as on the original ost

8 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But they ommited the “dirty redskin devils” which as on the original ost

Right. I personally think “shrieking devils” is even more aggressive but that’s the point, we don’t know what they’ll do.

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

Thanks. I corrected the original post.

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

They used the original lyrics in Savages

I wonder why lyrics like these had to be written for a film that's supposedly intended for kids in the first place.

I'd like to think it was as an attempt to keep things authentic and truthful to historical records but somehow I think they were enjoying the publicity that the controversies brought up, more.

23 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

Thanks. I corrected the original post.

I wonder why lyrics like these had to be written for a film that's supposedly intended for kids in the first place.

I'd like to think it was as an attempt to keep things authentic and truthful to historical records but somehow I think they were enjoying the publicity that the controversies brought up, more.

Idk. I think kids need some darkness. I grew up with the original lyrics on disc and I always thought Radcliffe was such a piece of shit for saying them. Makes a nice difference to Judy Kuhn’s “and whether we are white or copper-skinned.” I don’t think we have to pander to positivity, which is one problem I have with modern kid’s films: they lack bite.

We need more Dark Crystals.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Awesome! I’ll be more excited, though, when more information about the release comes in, a la track list and remastering info.

17 hours ago, Giftheck said:

That's the line that made it onto the original version, the demo also had a couple more which might be problematic

- "Where they hack off your lips, If they don't like your smile"

- "See the dervishes dance, In ridiculous pants" 

- "There's a genie in every jar, He'll do all your bidding, Your wish his command; it's demeaning". 

So not expecting that one, but between the Music Behind the Magic box set and Howard Sings Ashman there's plenty of demo's that have already been released. Guessing the entire score and songs would fit on one disc, with the second being just a selection of demo's?

14 hours ago, blondheim said:

We need more Dark Crystals.

Wasn't Dark Crystal a flop originally? Plus how well did the Netflix series do?

2 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

That's the line that made it onto the original version, the demo also had a couple more which might be problematic

- "Where they hack off your lips, If they don't like your smile"

- "See the dervishes dance, In ridiculous pants" 

- "There's a genie in every jar, He'll do all your bidding, Your wish his command; it's demeaning". 

So not expecting that one, but between the Music Behind the Magic box set and Howard Sings Ashman there's plenty of demo's that have already been released. Guessing the entire score and songs would fit on one disc, with the second being just a selection of demo's?

Wasn't Dark Crystal a flop originally? Plus how well did the Netflix series do?

I mean movies with the bite of Dark Crystal, not a continuation of the IP

12 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I mean movies with the bite of Dark Crystal, not a continuation of the IP

Ah apologies, gotcha. In that case yeah many family film's lack that bite as you say. Seems studios are a bit more reluctant to put out something more risky. It's a shame Don Bluth isn't still in the animated business as well.

45 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Ah apologies, gotcha. In that case yeah many family film's lack that bite as you say. Seems studios are a bit more reluctant to put out something more risky. It's a shame Don Bluth isn't still in the animated business as well.

Omg yes. Don Bluth’s work in the 80’s had this in spades. All Dogs Go To Heaven is a masterpiece.

31 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Omg yes. Don Bluth’s work in the 80’s had this in spades. All Dogs Go To Heaven is a masterpiece.

Absolutely, and Secret of NIMH! Crazy to think what they could get away with in the 80's

2 hours ago, blondheim said:

The owl scene is my favorite in that movie. Yeah, go ask the wise giant that wants to eat you

That's some scary stuff, Mrs Brisby has nerves of steel, going to see an owl that would want to eat her, with the first time she sees him his head is completely upside down, then he just casually rain's bone's down her! Can't think of anything like that these days?

4 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

That's some scary stuff, Mrs Brisby has nerves of steel, going to see an owl that would want to eat her, with the first time she sees him his head is completely upside down, then he just casually rain's bone's down her! Can't think of anything like that these days?

Omg yes! I always forget about that. What a fantastic sequence

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fommes said:

Are this and Hunchback available anywhere in Europe (online)?

I would love to hear an answer to that myself. I asked music emporium about tax (i made a mock order and in the theceipt it puts a line about tax.. amd the response from support is that that line is there to pay vat, so i dont have to pay vat at customs in spain. Which is totally what wont happen. If inpay in the US the spanish customs will make me pay me in spain… and it would be I who would have tonask to be returned the US tax from the seller… which wont happen either. Unless im getting international taxes wrong.

5 hours ago, fommes said:

Are this and Hunchback available anywhere in Europe (online)?

Aladdin is currently only available at D23, which is happening this weekend, no announcement on when it'll be released elsewhere. The physical release of hunchback unfortunately looks like it's only on Disney Emporium, Amazon and Quboz have it for streaming/digital download, only other options are probably eBay or discogs?

Woo!! We have a track listing :D (Jay you beat me to it :P)

I’m so glad to see they really put an emphasis on the score rather than overkill on demos and work tapes. Some of that is readily available in other releases. Can't wait to hear it!

10D2ED52-FD7D-41F9-95D8-888139092DFC.jpeg

4 hours ago, Demondm810 said:

I’m glad “Why Me” is on there, that is such a great unreleased song. 

"Why Me" is excellent. It's a shame they're not including the unused "Arabian Nights" reprise, but we've already got it on the Menken/Ashman box & the "King of Thieves" soundtrack.

I'm happy enough with the score - looks like they included everything... we just have to hope that "One Jump" and "A Whole New World" are the film versions...

3 hours ago, DemonStar said:

Also it would be nice if they included the score-only version of "Legend of the Lamp", without the dialogue overlay.

It doesn't have a "Performed by" text below its track's title here.

Did the Prologue cue from Beauty and the Beast LC have the monologue though? If so then this one will likely too.

41 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

Did the Prologue cue from Beauty and the Beast LC have the monologue though? If so then this one will likely too.

Yeah it had the monologue, The Music Behind the Magic box set is the only place to get the Prologue as a instrumental.

Hi, hello, long time lurker with nothing intelligent to add to music discussions. However...

I, too, love having original song instrumentals. (And I, too, loathe unnecessary overlaps in my soundtracks.)

While I no longer have that release, I am pretty sure that particular Aladdin from Disney Karaoke Series is a "cover" recording. (As are most of those Karaoke Series albums?)

The only original Aladdin film instrumental released on CD I know of (and have) is A Whole New World, which is included on

https://www.discogs.com/release/15427291-Various-Disney-Sing-Your-Heart-Out

and

https://www.discogs.com/release/21486184-Various-Disney-Sing-Along-Disney-Classics (although my disc says 2018, not 2000)

From what I remember, other albums featuring film instrumentals make this 2018 Classics disc redundant/skippable.

There's also a 2015 CD of the same Disney Classics title but with a different tracklisting and a cover version of A Whole New World rather than the film version - it does however feature some other film instrumentals exclusive to that 2015 CD, like Be Our Guest, so go figure. I can post a breakdown of the original film instrumentals that I know were released - not that it's much.

8 hours ago, filip said:

I can post a breakdown of the original film instrumentals that I know were released - not that it's much.

Never knew the film instrumentals were released, would definitely appreciate a breakdown of which one's are out there 

Thanks!

I’ll add that the Danny Elfman/Tim Burton Box Set includes film version instrumentals for all of The Nightmare Before Christmas, although there’s a little bit of weird lead vocal bleedthrough in Finale/Reprise.

Curious - when you mention covers, are they typically orchestral re-recordings or synth deals?  An interesting curiosity!