Alan Menken's ALADDIN (1992) - 2022 Disney Legacy Collection

Jay

On 08/09/2022 at 10:17 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

I would love to hear an answer to that myself. I asked music emporium about tax (i made a mock order and in the theceipt it puts a line about tax.. amd the response from support is that that line is there to pay vat, so i dont have to pay vat at customs in spain. Which is totally what wont happen. If inpay in the US the spanish customs will make me pay me in spain… and it would be I who would have tonask to be returned the US tax from the seller… which wont happen either. Unless im getting international taxes wrong.

I'm also no expert on this and post/tax/customs matters can (in my experience) be very hit and miss, but as far as I understand, the receiver has to pay the import tax, UNLESS the sender already paid it - which should be the case with big online retailers (aka Disney (?)) more than small shops (specialty labels etc.). But it's always a gamble...

46 minutes ago, ChrisAfonso said:

I'm also no expert on this and post/tax/customs matters can (in my experience) be very hit and miss, but as far as I understand, the receiver has to pay the import tax, UNLESS the sender already paid it - which should be the case with big online retailers (aka Disney (?)) more than small shops (specialty labels etc.). But it's always a gamble...

That maybe it…this was the response email about my inquiry:

”The tax you are seeing is for a VAT tax- this makes it so you shouldn't have to pay customs in Spain. ”

My copy is arriving tomorrow; I can’t wait to listen to it. Judging by the track list, there is nothing left out. The entire score is included; I was not expecting alternate cues to be included, but I am glad this brings Alan Menken’s entire score to light.

On 12/09/2022 at 1:45 PM, filip said:

Yea, I was very surprised after years of the Sing-Along and Karaoke Series being all covers to hear an actual film instrumental. Sadly, there's really not that much.

Don't really know how to organize it, or whether there's a better thread to post it in but here goes. Hopefully I did not make any mistakes (or am in the wrong). Feel free to correct me.

Movie specific releases (all legit original instrumentals, not covers):

Reveal hidden contents

Live-Action specific releases (all legit original instrumentals, not covers):

Reveal hidden contents

Compilations (original film instrumentals IN BOLD, if it's not bold - it's a cover)

Reveal hidden contents

There's also a few Disney Junior tracks with legit instrumentals available.

An honorable mention to The Swan Princess Karaoke selection that was released to digital ?2 years ago?.

Lego Movie has an instrumental of "Everything is Awesome" on the OST, too. Wish the 2nd movie had instrumentals...

There's possibly more but that's what I own and remember.

Thanks for the thorough breakdown, there's quite a few there, now to get hunting!

7 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Judging by the track list, there is nothing left out. The entire score is included;

Hunchback had wrong track names too, so...

11 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

”The tax you are seeing is for a VAT tax- this makes it so you shouldn't have to pay customs in Spain. ”

Those are separate things though, when I ordered from the UK varese store I paid the base price and shipping, then when it arrived, VAT plus customs plus handling on top.

17 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Thanks for the thorough breakdown, there's quite a few there, now to get hunting!

I double checked what I posted and it should be accurate. Though I should've noted "You've Got a Friend in Me" on Sing Your Heart Out is with all the original backing vocals.

If you are interested in the first Mary Poppins movie, make sure it's the Karaoke Series version you go for (CD or digital), the digital Sing-Along version seems the same but has the obnoxious vocal melody on -all- the instrumentals.

I also checked some other releases that I didn't mention since I remembered them being covers and I think only the newer Disney's Sing-Along of "The Lion King" might be worth mentioning. It includes "He Lives in You" instrumental (with all the backing vocals) that isn't a cover.

https://www.discogs.com/release/17864656-Various-Disney-Sing-Along-The-Lion-King

I only checked the digital version (as I'm happy with the 1994 release) but the instrumentals here seem to be film recordings - except for "Hakuna Matata" and "Warthog Rhapsody" which are covers (no clue what "Queen of the Jungle" is). "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" has cover backing vocals like on compilation albums. The tracks are also shorter than the old 1994 Sing-Along release (but maybe they were extended on that one, rather than shortened on this one).

Edit: Oh wait, I sampled the digital Karaoke Series for the Lion King, not the Sing-Along. It could be that the Sing-Along version has the vocal melody playing like Mary Poppins Sing-Along. A mess. Just hunt the 1994 release down.

Apologize for steering it off topic again.

Hope everyone gets their 2CD Aladdin soon. And that it's satisfactory to your preferences. Patiently waiting for digital to drop.

4 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

This is a phenomenal release. Occasional cross-fading with the songs, but it does not hinder the listening experience in the slightest. All of the songs and score sound great! Love hearing Alan Menken’s entire score; a few unused cues and sections of music too!

Hmmm... so none of the mastering errors that plagued Hunchback, huh?  I was pretty disappointed about that.

6 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

This is a phenomenal release. Occasional cross-fading with the songs, but it does not hinder the listening experience in the slightest. All of the songs and score sound great! Love hearing Alan Menken’s entire score; a few unused cues and sections of music too!

A few questions, if you don't mind me asking! Still waiting for a digital version to be released...

* Is the intro from the film version of One Jump included?

* Is the film version of "A Whole New World" included?

44 minutes ago, Archive Collection said:

* Is the film version of "A Whole New World" included?

According to a FSM member, apparently AWNW is the same album version as before, but the orchestral intro to this song is included towards the end of the preceding score cue.

Showing as "not currently available" at the Disney Music Emporium website. Presumably they sold out of their initial stock. Hopefully there are more copies on the way. I will be majorly upset if this turns out to be a "stealth" limited edition! Of all the Disney Renaissance expansions, this was the one I wanted the most. But I was in no rush, as none of the previous titles have been limited or even all that difficult to find. Even Hunchback, which hasn't seemed to be available anywhere but the DME, has been consistently available since its release. Fingers crossed...

21 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

it also no longer cross-fades to the next cue ("Ends of the Earth")

Additionally, "Why Me" is a different take compared to the one from "Music Behind the Magic". The vocal performances are completely different.

Oh wow, that makes me happy. That's one crossfade from the original release that I wanted to not be repeated here, since Street Urchins/One Jump Ahead reprise are already unmixed on Music Behind the Magic.

Very curious about Why Me. Patiently waiting til midnight.

I've emailed DME inquiring about ALADDIN, so perhaps they'll respond with some clarification. I'll post if I hear anything back.

In the meantime, anyone who may have picked up an extra copy and would be interested in selling at cost (or possibly trading for some OOP goodie) is welcome to send me a private message or drop me an email.

On 14/09/2022 at 9:23 PM, filip said:

I double checked what I posted and it should be accurate. Though I should've noted "You've Got a Friend in Me" on Sing Your Heart Out is with all the original backing vocals.

If you are interested in the first Mary Poppins movie, make sure it's the Karaoke Series version you go for (CD or digital), the digital Sing-Along version seems the same but has the obnoxious vocal melody on -all- the instrumentals.

I also checked some other releases that I didn't mention since I remembered them being covers and I think only the newer Disney's Sing-Along of "The Lion King" might be worth mentioning. It includes "He Lives in You" instrumental (with all the backing vocals) that isn't a cover.

https://www.discogs.com/release/17864656-Various-Disney-Sing-Along-The-Lion-King

I only checked the digital version (as I'm happy with the 1994 release) but the instrumentals here seem to be film recordings - except for "Hakuna Matata" and "Warthog Rhapsody" which are covers (no clue what "Queen of the Jungle" is). "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" has cover backing vocals like on compilation albums. The tracks are also shorter than the old 1994 Sing-Along release (but maybe they were extended on that one, rather than shortened on this one).

Edit: Oh wait, I sampled the digital Karaoke Series for the Lion King, not the Sing-Along. It could be that the Sing-Along version has the vocal melody playing like Mary Poppins Sing-Along. A mess. Just hunt the 1994 release down.

Apologize for steering it off topic again.

Hope everyone gets their 2CD Aladdin soon. And that it's satisfactory to your preferences. Patiently waiting for digital to drop.

Thanks for the update, while I'm not interested in Mary Poppins, it's still good to have that info out there for anyone else.

Quick breakdown of some of the alternate cues...

Intro to Carpet (Disc 2 Track 18)

• Film version of cue can be located on Disc 1 Track 15, from 1:17 onwards.
  • Same as the film version until 1:12 (the same take(s), with periods of silence edited out, and some minor mix differences).
  • Final 22 seconds contain different music to the final version.

I'll continue to update this post.

I was going to investigate some track changes/transitions on streaming (it felt like tracks were created/split from previously crossfaded masters) but instead I noticed Prince Ali Reprise is playing ever slightly slower on the Legacy Collection than the old OST. Does anyone have movie audio laying around to compare? Is it just me?

This is a wonderful album.

I watched the film last night with the album next to it. And what I like is that on the album there is some music cut out of the film. But they kept it intact for this release. Love that.

Other than that, the intro to One Jump Ahead & A Whole New World are both great, although like many I wished the entire film version of latter was on the album.

The extended Cave Of Wonders and To Be Free are a joy,

And newly released cues like Rooftop, Ali Comes Courting, Genie Rescue Aladdin and Jafar In Charge are my favorites

Just now, filip said:

I was going to investigate some track changes/transitions on streaming (it felt like tracks were created/split from previously crossfaded masters) but instead I noticed Prince Ali Reprise is playing ever slightly slower on the Legacy Collection than the old OST. Does anyone have movie audio laying around to compare? Is it just me?

I noticed that last night when I watched the film. It's odd.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Cant they make it right just once?

Sheesh :/

They've done a good job with this release. The only real issue is the absence of the film version of "A Whole New World".

I don't think they'd exclude it from the release without a reason - perhaps there was a licensing/legal issue? Maybe if they included new versions of songs, they'd have to pay all of the performers again (which is probably not worth it for Disney from a financial perspective). Maybe that's why the other songs were (seemingly) sourced from the original album master.

At least we got that lovely intro. And everything else is great!

21 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yeah i suppose, but incant understand how they can put something with the wrong speed.

I'd guess it's either the same reason the Concord Temple Of Doom isn't at the right speed (mistakes made during tape transfer) or the same reason the Prologue from Hook isn't the right speed (incorrectly converted sample rate).

I don't care about this score one bit but I do still feel happy hearing that this release seems to be a lot higher quality assembly and executionwise than the awful Hunchback.

Here is the (non) word from DME:

Hello John,

We appreciate that you've taken the time to contact us! I am sorry, but we are not given anticipated restock dates for out-of-stock items, nor are we provided with advance notice of what may become available in the store. We do not have any information regarding items carried or offered by other retailers.

Be sure to check the website regularly to see if specific items become available at a later date. We also recommend subscribing to the newsletter for the latest on new products, back-in-stock notifications, and promotions.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Greg
Customer Service

In other words, their customer service department does not know the answers to these questions.

Again, if anyone managed to obtain a spare copy and would be open to selling or trading, feel free to get in touch. Perhaps it will come back in stock, but I'd just as soon not chance it.

So using this BTS video and the instrumental that @filip was kind enough to point out, I've edited a full vocal film version of A Whole New World. Well sort of, the vocals in the youtube video are a different take to the film but it was either that or just a direct rip of the film audio with the SFX -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15moKxhoxfCe5nwr5IyqDNgdbPVNuQ4mp/view?usp=sharing

21 hours ago, filip said:

Having a quick listen against the film audio, it sounds the same up till "Say hello to your precious Prince Ali", then a microedit somewhere in the music and the rest of the vocals is a different take to what is on the album.

3 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Just a question. Why is that Robin Williams does not sing "Arabian Nights" if he voices the character that sings the song?

Pure guesswork, but someone probably decided that his voice wasn't strong enough to sing Arabian Nights. He pulled off 'Friend Like Me' nicely, but I'm not sure how he would have gone with 'Arabian Nights'.

5 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

and the instrumental that @filip was kind enough to point out, I've edited a full vocal film version of A Whole New World. Well sort of,

Oh boy... Before you all lynch me I guess I should say that even though I used words like "legit film instrumental" they very well (and likely) may be just album versions - I just meant they weren't those damn covers. I apologise for the confusion.

Edit:

By the way, don't know if you used the youtube video or not but that clip is part of A Diamond in the Rough documentary which has 320kbps audio on my bluray (though who knows if it's not a re-encode of DVD audio that was in another lossy quality - would anyone have the original NTSC DVD with that documentary?). PS. Lea Salonga ftw.

1 hour ago, filip said:

Oh boy... Before you all lynch me I guess I should say that even though I used words like "legit film instrumental" they very well (and likely) may be just album versions - I just meant they weren't those damn covers. I apologise for the confusion.

Edit:

By the way, don't know if you used the youtube video or not but that clip is part of A Diamond in the Rough documentary which has 320kbps audio on my bluray (though who knows if it's not a re-encode of DVD audio that was in another lossy quality - would anyone have the original NTSC DVD with that documentary?). PS. Lea Salonga ftw.

Well I'm not mad, just disappointed. Going over both quickly it does seem they are the same, for the most part, the instrumental has what is possibly an overlay of strings during the first 40 seconds or so which is used in the film, so you're still technically right.

And yeah I used the YouTube video, had no idea where it was from as only found it a few hours ago, thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get it in better quality now.

I've wanted tracks like "Aladdin and Jasmine Confront Jafar" and "Genie Rescues Aladdin" since my school days. I'm so happy to have them released in such great quality. Overall this is a great album.

A Whole New World (Film Version)

Fully lossless. No SFX.

I isolated the vocals from the original album version (sourced from the 'Music Behind the Magic' CD), and combined it with the film version instrumental (from the 2018 'Disney Sing-Along' CD).

From roughly 40 seconds onwards, the instrumental is the same in both the film version and album version, so I used the MBTB master for the rest of the edit.

Still working on a version that includes 'Ali Comes Courting' - unless someone wants to beat me to it...

https://mega.nz/file/xzZCTa6a#IvrRL-1fxMPGemtJmMl1zhwsnUPNozLqo7NiKoGL128

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Just a question. Why is that Robin Williams does not sing "Arabian Nights" if he voices the character that sings the song?

Why didn't Scott Weinger and Linda Larkin sing? :)

the "arabian nights reprise (unreleased master)" from the behing the magic CDs, would be the final cue after the "happy end in agrabah alternate" from the Legacy collection?

BTW this set is great... i havent had to do hardly anything to replace the english songs with the spanish songs.

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

the "arabian nights reprise (unreleased master)" from the behing the magic CDs, would be the final cue after the "happy end in agrabah alternate" from the Legacy collection?

No, the Arabian Nights reprise is from an earlier version of the film which used the Arabian Nights melody various times throughout the movie to provide additional narration. This idea was dropped, so only the initial Arabian Nights remained. The finale was repurposed for use at the climax of the second direct-to-VHS sequel, Aladdin and the King of Thieves, which acted as a finale for the Aladdin tv show and the series as a whole.

The Happy End in Agrabah alternate has a different intro (15 seconds or so), a slightly different take over the genie's freedom being granted, and a different ending reprising the theme from Friend Like Me. It then should lead into the A Whole New World reprise as in the film version of the cue. The alternate was previously released on several early versions of the soundtrack, including this transition, which was probably cut for disc space for the Legacy Collection release.

On the Legacy Collection, One Jump Ahead (Reprise) is a bit slower/off pitch compared to the other releases like it's a bit flat.  When I heard the track open I wasn't sure what it was, but it sounded off.  The vocals don't line up with the film either.  The vocals from the original release and the Music Behind the Magic do line up with the film.

I tried looking at everything from the start but gave up real fast, lol - my mouse died and audio editing with a touchpad is rage inducing to me. The movie audio is annoying to compare to, too.

There's several points at which the audio desyncs on "On a Dark Night" (OST vs Legacy vs movie). There's one moment where I'm not sure if it descyns because of edits or speed but on some other 3 points there's definitely editing - like at 0:40 the scarab chase comes in later in the movie. On a personal note, I don't know why that entrance is so subtle in the Legacy mix.

I'll try to enjoy it for what it is.

PS.

Does anyone know which CD editions have which version of "Happy End in Agrabah"? Can you even tell from the cat# or cover? My CD soundtrack has this Legacy+brass version (and uncensored "Arabian Nights").

3 hours ago, filip said:

There's several points at which the audio desyncs on "On a Dark Knight" (OST vs Legacy vs movie).

I believe this is because the Batman cameo was a very last minute addition to the film.