Alan Menken's ALADDIN (1992) - 2022 Disney Legacy Collection

Jay

5 hours ago, filip said:

PS.

Does anyone know which CD editions have which version of "Happy End in Agrabah"? Can you even tell from the cat# or cover? My CD soundtrack has this Legacy+brass version (and uncensored "Arabian Nights").

Excluding the Legacy Collection, I have albums with both the censored and uncensored lyrics for Arabian Nights.  The one with the uncensored version (Cat #60846-2) has the alternate version of Happy End in Agrabah.  The censored version (Cat #60846-7) has the film version.

16 minutes ago, Turbo said:

Excluding the Legacy Collection, I have albums with both the censored and uncensored lyrics for Arabian Nights.  The one with the uncensored version (Cat #60846-2) has the alternate version of Happy End in Agrabah.  The censored version (Cat #60846-7) has the film version.

Dang. Mine also says 60846-2 on the CD and case spine and it's the film version+brass and uncensored "Arabian Nights". Guess it's not going to be that easy to hunt down. What I have will have to do.

Listening to this now and really enjoying it.  I coincidentally listened to the OST a few times recently, and there’s a lot of improvement here just by integrating the score between the songs.  I don’t think any of the new stuff is absolutely vital, but I think it’s very listenable and doesn’t wear out its welcome even in complete/chronological form.

Surprised by the choice not to include numerous other “rarities” and demos at the end of this - not even factoring in that Menken set mentioned by several above, it’s lacking even the couple of song demos from my old copy of the OST.  Sure, those songs aren’t particularly good, but it’s a mark against the release that they didn’t strive to make this a truly archival set.  They certainly had the room on the discs!

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Mine shipped, i paid international trackable shipping… and since day 15 it says that it is bound to US export facility. And that’s it 😑

Just out of interest: with how much did you end up (including VAT)? I'm fancying the download version, but made a comparison with one of the "Pinocchio" tracks on qobuz and noticed again that it is (bit-)different from the CD version.

5 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

84€ i bough both aladdin and hunchback. They charge for each cd shipping. So you pay the same either if you order one item or bundle several things together…

That's really tough. I don't understand this distribution concept. I guess, it kills a lot of sales. It's not like "Aladdin" is an unpopular title. I'm not Disney's product manager, but I would even re-compile these Legacy titles with the local dubs and thus generate even more sales by making collectors buy the original and the dubbed version.

Local dubs would have been great

6 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

84€ i bough both aladdin and hunchback. They charge for each cd shipping. So you pay the same either if you order one item or bundle several things together…

I think that i worded it wrong and may be misleading.

if you buy one cd, you pay X$ for shipping. If you order 2 cds you pay 2X $ for shipping, if you buy 3, 3X and so on… outrageous

No it is not necessary to register (you

cant anyway because they switched servers or something and it broke registration.) but you should be able to order an item. Try another browser.

my order has left the us it seems!

On 23/09/2022 at 7:23 PM, ManofDestiny said:

Is it necessary to register for placing an order?

I just can't do it.

擷取.PNG

I got the same error message over and over again. Then I found out that it only allows you to make an account if you're on a US based IP address so I tried with a VPN and I was able to make an account and then purchase. But even still, my order got cancelled immediately after processing because billing and shipping address have to match (as far as I know), even if you're using PayPal.

Tried everything! Let me know if you find a workaround

I don't want to read everything on that thread... no horrible edit like on the Mermaid set (which I did'nt purchased)?

I say this because, I'm interrested in this set, unless it's technically botched.

Younglings don't know how analog tapes can get damaged with time... and how. I'm sure a guy like Mike Matessino corrected a lot of damaged passages in our favourite releases in the last years... and we'll never notice them. But sometimes, you can't always do miracles, sometimes it's simply impossible. It's maybe a case like that.

The problem with old analogue tapes, is more you want to revisit them to get a better transfer, the more they deteriorate.

Try to explain that to a digital era kid...

Please re-post that on the Willow thread, with the exact timing and tag me please, I'll check that.

This film (aladdin) really is scored wall to wall. The score runs 1h31 min as the film (including end credits).

why do people want ‘street urchins’ separate from ‘one jump

ahead reprise’? They are jointed so in the film too. I thought there was some silence in between the scenes but no.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Others might have picked up on this, but I just realised that in Make You a Star (Alternate), the section covering the 'French joke' (Ami. C’est l’amour.) at 0:26 actually uses the melody of Be Our Guest from Beauty and the Beast! Together with the Under the Sea underscoring the Sebastian cameo later in the same track, that's two Menken callbacks in one cue! The Be Our Guest reference was removed in the film version of the cue sadly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/09/2022 at 8:04 AM, Archive Collection said:

I might make a Google Doc comparing all of the versions, if no-one else beats me to it.

Please do!

On 17/09/2022 at 6:16 AM, Archive Collection said:

A Whole New World (Film Version)

Fully lossless. No SFX.

I isolated the vocals from the original album version (sourced from the 'Music Behind the Magic' CD), and combined it with the film version instrumental (from the 2018 'Disney Sing-Along' CD).

From roughly 40 seconds onwards, the instrumental is the same in both the film version and album version, so I used the MBTB master for the rest of the edit.

Still working on a version that includes 'Ali Comes Courting' - unless someone wants to beat me to it...

https://mega.nz/file/xzZCTa6a#IvrRL-1fxMPGemtJmMl1zhwsnUPNozLqo7NiKoGL128

Thanks so much for this, and I would really love a version with the smooth orchestral transition into the film version of the song!

One more question, for anyone who knows: is there anything else unique and worth keeping from the original 1992 soundtrack pressing, *besides* the opening "Arabian Nights" with the alternate "where they'll cut off your ears if they don't like your face" lyric? I have that early CD pressing, but want to be sure that's all I need to grab as I try to compile a definitive Aladdin album in iTunes. I also have The Music Behind the Magic set, and would love to know which (if any) tracks on that I *don't* need to include because they're already on the new 2CD Legacy Collection.

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Hopeful bump?

Quite a few of the score cues have unique mixes/assemblies of cues, with edit points that differ from the film versions and Legacy Collection CD. If the legacy collection refers to a track as a "film version", then it probably differs from the original CD soundtrack significantly. So if you're a completist who cares about having clean openings/endings, and every available take and edit of a score, I'd say it's worth keeping the whole album.

Otherwise, here's what I'd keep:

Arabian Nights (version from first pressing) - with the original lyrics

Happy End in Agrabah (version from first pressing) - has a different opening.

Happy End in Agrabah (version from second pressing) - ALSO has a different opening.

Why Me (unreleased master) - Legacy CD has different vocal takes.

Arabian Nights Reprise (unreleased master) - not included on Legacy CD.