Williams debuts "Helena's Theme" from Indiana Jones 5 at the Hollywood Bowl

Jay

OOoh! What is this Golden Age goodness! :lovethis:

P.S. There is second part of the recording on the same Twitter account.

1 minute ago, JonathanAsh said:

Gorgeous!

I love how there’s that subtle nod to Marion’s Theme near the end, where the violins end on the vi chord, the celli soar up with that arpeggio and then the violins try again to land back home, just like at the end of Marion’s Theme. 

Is this a possible hint at her relationship to Indy? Any other interesting musical connections to existing themes? 

8 minutes ago, JonathanAsh said:

Gorgeous!

I love how there’s that subtle nod to Marion’s Theme near the end, where the violins end on the vi chord, the celli soar up with that arpeggio and then the violins try again to land back home, just like at the end of Marion’s Theme. 

You beat me to it!

Wow! I'm overwhelmed by it. It is both  golden age theme and also signature JW. The flute ending is classic. It's gonna take me a few more listens to nail down the main melody, but the music sounds lovely immediately. The Marion theme quite is so interesting with story Implications. Thank you for sharing. What a gift! 

so we currently have no idea who plays Helena and who Helena is in the story, and Mangold still is willing to let JW debut a this new character theme with some apparent nod to another iconic theme in the same franchise. 

Isn't lucasfilm/disney notorious for shutting down any potential possibility of spoiler?

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm trying to think of the last time we got a film score debut like this a year before the film came out...

When was the last time, that a film score even got composed one year before the movie came out?

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

When was the last time, that a film score even got composed one year before the movie came out?

Jurassic world dominion?

giacchino also debuted batman theme years before the films release…

:p

Could the marion quote be for the end credits bridge from helenas theme to raiders march? 

very nice theme. Maybe she is the main archeological antagonist. I dont think there would be a family relation to marion… Why would marion keep her a secret? Maybe to hide the twins from the emperor…? 😅

What a neat idea!

I had hoped that this would have happend. I think it’s the first time Williams has allowed a film piece to premiere in advance since he did Hedwigs Theme from the first Harry Potter film (pls do correct me if it happend again after that film)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm trying to think of the last time we got a film score debut like this a year before the film came out...

5 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I don’t have memory of anything by JW being premiered in concert with such advance. The closest thing is when he performed an earlier version of “Hedwig’s Theme” at Tanglewood in July 2001.

This is rare not just for Williams but for any composer. A piece from a film score premiered live in a large concert way before the film's premiere? This just does not happen!

Note: There was also the Kenobi piece performed at the Star Wars celebration.

5 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I don’t have memory of anything by JW being premiered in concert with such advance. The closest thing is when he performed an earlier version of “Hedwig’s Theme” at Tanglewood in July 2001.

Yes, that's the only one I can think of.

The only other occasion that comes to mind was Michael Gore's music to "Defending your Life" that was re-recorded by John Mauceri and the Hollywood Bowl ahead of the soundtrack release.

19 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

This is rare not just for Williams but for any composer. A piece from a film score premiered live in a large concert way before the film's premiere? This just does not happen!

Note: There was also the Kenobi piece performed at the Star Wars celebration.

IIRC Brian Tyler debuted his Now You See Me fanfare ahead of the release of NYSM2 in his film music concert in London, but that may be only a few weeks ahead

This is really nice. I really like it. :)

James Mangold is quite a classy and cultured guy. I hope he treats Williams' music with respect it deserves. 

Karol

Wow, that was gorgeous. One of the most beautiful things I've heard from Williams in years. I loved every minute of it, and the hint's of Marion's theme...chills. And it definitely gives off the old-time Hollywood vibe, especially early going. All that's missing is the popping sound from the film reel. 

Just now, Incanus said:

Williams is such a master at fusing the Golden Age Hollywood sound with his own and making it so thoroughly and effortlessly his own. 

The Golden Age Hollywood is his own childhood, after all :)