Williams debuts "Helena's Theme" from Indiana Jones 5 at the Hollywood Bowl

Jay

Well my guess is Disney is going to tackle the post young Indy/pre-temple of doom years.  Lots of potential there.  Even though I kinda just want it to be completely over after Indy 5.

It lines up with how they're treating star wars.

So maybe there is no need to have someone take the reigns.

5 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Well my guess is Disney is going to tackle the post young Indy/pre-temple of doom years.  Lots of potential there.  Even though I kinda just want it to be completely over after Indy 5.

Maybe a movie about a young Sallah.  We will finally learn why he likes camels so much.  

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

I'd like a redo of the Young Indy Chronicles. Nothings wrong with the show, but maybe they could remake it and make it more appealing, I've heard some episodes are a little eh. Or maybe even an animated show, that'd be cool too.

51 minutes ago, Brando said:

I'd like a redo of the Young Indy Chronicles. Nothings wrong with the show, but maybe they could remake it and make it more appealing, I've heard some episodes are a little eh. Or maybe even an animated show, that'd be cool too.

I watched it in real time in high school (yes, I am old).  It was a good show, but it was a huge mistake to have the weird old actor be an old Indiana Jones.  They should have just shown us young Indy and been done with it.  

1 hour ago, Brando said:

Haha I love that show so I have to disagree with it being remade. Even the slow or "eh" episodes you talk about hold a special place in my heart and were a genuine bold step to take the story of the character in.

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

I watched it in real time in high school (yes, I am old).  It was a good show, but it was a huge mistake to have the weird old actor be an old Indiana Jones.  They should have just shown us young Indy and been done with it.  

This is the only minor complaint I have, I haven't watched the show in a very long time, but they're on YT and I might rewatch them before V just for fun, but having the old guy play Indy is a bit odd, even if I see what they were trying to accomplish.

10 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Haha I love that show so I have to disagree with it being remade. Even the slow or "eh" episodes you talk about hold a special place in my heart and were a genuine bold step to take the story of the character in.

From the handful of episodes I did watch, I enjoyed them, I think doing a young Indy show was a brilliant idea. I only said 'eh' because thats what I've heard some people say about them, and the episodes I did watch were good, so not sure which ones people were referring to by that. I don't actually think they'd do a live action remake though, if they were to do anything, I feel like it'd be animated, which is a fine choice too.

11 minutes ago, Brando said:

From the handful of episodes I did watch, I enjoyed them, I think doing a young Indy show was a brilliant idea. I only said 'eh' because thats what I've heard some people say about them, and the episodes I did watch were good, so not sure which ones people were referring to by that. I don't actually think they'd do a live action remake though, if they were to do anything, I feel like it'd be animated, which is a fine choice too.

Oh I would guess they're probably talking about Corey Carrier episodes (basically Indy as a kid).

Those episodes are very different from the Sean Patrick Flannery ones. They have very little to no action and are definitely a slow burn.

I'd recommend "Journey of Radiance" out of those episodes (they're all on YouTube for free )

If you don't dig that episode, you probably won't like any Corey Carrier episode.

The good thing about that season, is that the actor who plays Professor Jones Sr, is outstanding. He's actually in the new Lord of the Rings series on Amazon. 

8 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Oh I would guess they're probably talking about Corey Carrier episodes (basically Indy as a kid).

Those episodes are very different from the Sean Patrick Flannery ones. They have very little to no action and are definitely a slow burn.

I'd recommend "Journey of Radiance" out of those episodes (they're all on YouTube for free )

If you don't dig that episode, you probably won't like any Corey Carrier episode.

The good thing about that season, is that the actor who plays Professor Jones Sr, is outstanding. He's actually in the new Lord of the Rings series on Amazon. 

Corey would be Indy in the first few episodes? I remember liking those, but the only 3 things at all I can remember is 1, Indy sneaking out of class with the dog, 2, climbing the pyramids with his teacher, and 3, meeting President Roosevelt and him telling Indy to 'learn the language of any country you go to'. Always thought that was a nice little line there. Absolute genius of a setup.

6 minutes ago, Brando said:

Corey would be Indy in the first few episodes? I remember liking those, but the only 3 things at all I can remember is 1, Indy sneaking out of class with the dog, 2, climbing the pyramids with his teacher, and 3, meeting President Roosevelt and him telling Indy to 'learn the language of any country you go to'. Always thought that was a nice little line there. Absolute genius of a setup.

Ahhh okay. Yeah so if you liked those then you're already a rarity! Lol

Most hate of the series online is usually from those, but even that might just be a strawman.

Tbh I haven't talked to many people online or in real life who have seen the series lol

25 minutes ago, Gibster said:

I assume most people would consider this part to be Helena's Main theme, if so it has the same major 6th interval as Leia's theme and Marion's theme. Are there any other female themes from John Williams with the same leap?Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 10.24.33 AM.png 

Born on the Fourth of July?

In the case of Star Wars, long before The Force Awakens came, I told you that without Palpatine this trilogy would be ridiculous, because he was the greatest evil mind of the Galaxy. In the movie, I quickly wished that Snoke was secretly controlled by him... and I was right.

In this case, if this Helena is truly the goddaughter of Indy... well it's a bit deceiving...  It means that Indy have a brother or a sister... or probably more an unkown half brother or sister (another child of Henry Sr)... Ah these Jones!!!

Anyway, I think Helen of Troy and The Elysium (or Elysian Fields) remains a good "last" adventure for our Old Indy. I think this idea was already used in an old game or whatever...

In Greek mythology, The Elysium is a conception of the afterlife and only mortals related to the gods and other heroes could be admitted past the river Styx...

If it's not this, I stick to the Bermuda's Triangle, it was my first idea.

And well... Lucas is perfectly able to have mixed all the tree ideas of The Elysium, Bermuda's Triangle and the Fountain of Youth...

5 hours ago, Gibster said:

I assume a bunch of the musicians who performed it in the Hollywood Bowl were in the orchestra that recorded it for the film.

I doubt that, actually. The orchestra at the Bowl was the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Some of the musicians do studio work too, but the vast majority of studio players for Indy 5 likely weren't playing in those Bowl performances.

5 hours ago, Tydirium said:

I doubt that, actually. The orchestra at the Bowl was the Los Angeles Philharmonic. Some of the musicians do studio work too, but the vast majority of studio players for Indy 5 likely weren't playing in those Bowl performances.

9B9C0CCE-557F-4069-B94B-49940A3D0F0A.jpeg
Joanne Pearce Martin who played at the bowl concerts worked on Fabelmans so I assume there was some 

On 15/09/2022 at 10:18 AM, Bespin said:

In this case, if this Helena is truly the goddaughter of Indy... well it's a bit deceiving...  It means that Indy have a brother or a sister... or probably more an unkown half brother or sister (another child of Henry Sr)... Ah these Jones!!!

A godparent can be anyone--it need not be a family member at all.  

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Did anyone ever do a full transcription of the theme? Wanted to see if I could incorporate it into an arrangement of some sort, but I'm not nearly as good at transcribing as I used to be. 

On 03/09/2022 at 11:15 AM, Falstaft said:

Wow, @Ludwig, we are possessed by the same need to transcribe, aren't we!

Here's my own attempt, just of the opening first minute and a half. We can compare notes, literally!

Helenab.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jay said:

About this piece - I liked it when I first heard it, but when I heard it live in Milan this week, I found a new appreciation for it.  That venue was so much more intimate than the Hollywood Bowl, it was much more befitting of this sort of intimate theme arrangement.  I never had the theme get stuck in my head after I heard it at the Bowl and listened to it on the computer a few times after, but I've had it stuck in my head ever since the Milan concert now.

I hope they release a professional video of it like they did for Schindler's List!

This, exactly.  Was my personal highlight in Milan. 

On 18/12/2022 at 6:48 PM, crumbs said:

Agreed! Those were the 3 standouts, and the Love Theme from Superman! 

Interesting that in Milan obviously the more quiet romantic pieces were the standouts. In Berlin for me it were rather the more vivid pieces like Suite from Far and Away, Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra or Adventures of Han.

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Interesting that in Milan obviously the more quiet romantic pieces were the standouts. In Berlin for me it were rather the more vivid pieces like Suite from Far and Away, Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra or Adventures of Han.

Nimbus was a Berlin highlight for me. Those woods!