Williams debuts "Helena's Theme" from Indiana Jones 5 at the Hollywood Bowl

Jay

It's funny: I'm so used to the wood-colored stage at Symphony Center in Chicago that the black stage really hides the musicians in this view.  It looks like they're performing in a black-box theater!

10 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Has this video been shared yet? It's a very nice performance of Helena's theme with mostly clean audio.

https://youtu.be/liQuxbV6gYIhttps://youtu.be/liQuxbV6gYI

I don't believe that's been posted here, no.  Thanks for sharing, that's the best audio and video yet!

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/09/2022 at 1:00 AM, ConorPower said:

The  discussion here of "Love Themes" is rather interesting. Williams calling PWB's Helena a femme fatale struck me, as the theme didn't sound as noir-ish as Irina's theme. I'd be interesting in seeing how the theme relates to the depiction of her. Is it really representative of her character, or (as described in relation to Marion's theme on Art of the Score) a "thinking of Helena" theme? Not so much representative of her but how Indy (or maybe even Williams?) thinks about her. 

I addressed this issue a bit when discussing Irina and KotCS in article I had out last year. I'll do a shameless self-plug for anyone who might be interested in reading it. 

Article - Swashbucklers and Femme Fatales - Gender Coding in John Williams's Score to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008).pdf 359.2 kB · 7 downloads

I read your paper. You seem to be evaluating John Williams based on how progressive he is. However, you have things backwards. One does not measure Williams with a measuring stick, because Williams IS the measuring stick by which all other things should be measured.

John Williams should not be judged by how well he conforms to the standards of progressivism. Instead, progressivism should be judged by whether it meets the high standards of John Wiliams. Insofar as progressivism is pro-Williams, progressivism is good. Insofar as progressivism is anti-Williams, progressivism is bad.

Before you adopt a political philosophy, ask yourself whether it passes the "John Williams test."

• 1 month later...

I'm starting to really appreciate the little reference to Marion in her theme. I love the idea that Helena in a way is meant to remind Indy of Marion when she was that age, and it's fun that Indy gets to both start and end the films with her character in a way. Perhaps in a way she reminds him of who he used to be.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The Milan performance is better than the Hollywood Bowl performance!

Agreed, they really nailed the old Hollywood, sweeping romance of the piece.

On 12/04/2023 at 2:33 AM, toothless said:

Somehow, I feel like this piece has huge James Bond vibe. I don't know why. 

I know why - it shares some of the musical language that John Barry used in his Bond scores; particularly chords and notes from jazz styles that were very popular in the middle of the 20th century. This piece is consciously evocative of the film noir genre, which Barry was also heavily influenced by.

• 2 weeks later...