AHSOKA - 2023 Star Wars TV

Jay

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Anyone else like me excited to watch this show, having never seen a single Star Wars animated thing, yet fondly remembers Thrawn from the 90s Zahn books (and doesn't have a clue what any other writer has done with him ever since)?

I personally hope not, but she looks like she’ll be cool as hell, whoever she is.

3 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Could that female dark jedi be mara jade or a reimagined version, and the bearded man jorus cbaoth?

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Anyone else like me excited to watch this show, having never seen a single Star Wars animated thing, yet fondly remembers Thrawn from the 90s Zahn books (and doesn't have a clue what any other writer has done with him ever since)?

That's half-way me:

I have watched all of the Clone Wars series, but only the first season of Rebels. 

I appreciate that fans love the animated shows but it's not my thing...I enjoyed some stuff in the Clone Wars series, but I didn't get into it like some of my buddies did. They would tell me things like "just wait until the later seasons, that is when it's extra super good", but it still didn't click with me on the level it does for others. 

And I do fondly remember those Timothy Zahn novels, yeah!! Since I didn't watch the rest of Rebel's I don't know what all involved Thrawn and how they handled him. 

I am excited to watch this show though.

I saw the Rebels version of Thrawn first, liked him, then listened to the audiobooks of the original Thrawn Trilogy and loved that version of Thrawn to the point the one in Rebels now seems a bit inferior in comparison. That seemed to mostly be a result of where his character fit into that show though, and as the seeming big bad of Ahsoka he may be closer to the version in the original Thrawn Trilogy than Rebels. Definitely going to miss that deep, commanding but suave performance of Marc Thompson though.

3 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

I saw the Rebels version of Thrawn first, liked him, then listened to the audiobooks of the original Thrawn Trilogy and loved that version of Thrawn to the point the one in Rebels now seems a bit inferior in comparison. That seemed to mostly be a result of where his character fit into that show though, and as the seeming big bad of Ahsoka he may be closer to the version in the original Thrawn Trilogy than Rebels. Definitely going to miss that deep, commanding but suave performance of Marc Thompson though.

I listened to the NuThrawn trilogies, so I am still used to the newer Larc (Lars + Marc) voice

26 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

I listened to the NuThrawn trilogies, so I am still used to the newer Larc (Lars + Marc) voice

I've heard snippets of Marc's new Thrawn voice and it does sound really good, in preparation for Ahsoka I'll probably finally get around to checking out the new Thrawn novels

Eh, I’m getting tired of Kiner. He has a monopoly on the Dave Filoni stuff. He’s not a bad composer but there’s been a massive drop in quality since his early Clone Wars stuff. I want more “Battle of Christophsis” type cues out of him. And the fact that everyone ignores the nepotism of his two sons ghostwriting a lot of the music is shocking.

I don't really know this character, Asohka, I saw her in some episodes of Clone Wars, then in the Mando I think. Apparently, the big deal was that she once was Anakin's apprentice.

So it's a jedi who was survived order 66 and the "Empire" era, she was alive after ROTJ, but died presumably before The Force Awakens?

That's it?

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Eh, I’m getting tired of Kiner. He has a monopoly on the Dave Filoni stuff. He’s not a bad composer but there’s been a massive drop in quality since his early Clone Wars stuff. I want more “Battle of Christophsis” type cues out of him. And the fact that everyone ignores the nepotism of his two sons ghostwriting a lot of the music is shocking.

Battle of Christophsis is my favourite cue from him, on the whole though he has been nailing the Star Wars sound/vibes the most when it comes to the current show content, so I am happy for him to get his own live action show 

5 hours ago, Drew said:

I think the exact opposite of this. I do quite like a lot of the early Clone Wars stuff, especially when it was experimentative and tried to go in a new direction. The different cultural instruments for different planets, the techno/electronic stuff. 

The weaker stuff early on in my opinion, was the orchestral material. Early Kiner sounded nothing like Williams and the episodes where he wasn't trying to generally had the better scores.

However I think more recently Kiner and co. have been getting much better at the orchestral stuff, I agree with a lot of the praise TBB S2 has been getting 

52 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

The weaker stuff early on in my opinion, was the orchestral material. Early Kiner sounded nothing like Williams and the episodes where he wasn't trying to generally had the better scores.

The early seasons had music obscenely similar to the temp tracks they were using, in some cases straight-up plagiarism (and I don't use that term lightly) that makes me think they for sure bought licenses for those cues. Season 3 is really when they started finally letting he and his team do their own thing.

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The early seasons had music obscenely similar to the temp tracks they were using, in some cases straight-up plagiarism (and I don't use that term lightly) that makes me think they for sure bought licenses for those cues. Season 3 is really when they started finally letting he and his team do their own thing.

Are you talking about Clone Wars or Rebels? Clone Wars music has always sounded original.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Are you talking about Clone Wars or Rebels? Clone Wars music has always sounded original.

Clone Wars. Season 1 and 2 had very little original material. Unlike Rebels it was almost all non-Williams music they were using though, whereas Rebels was pretty much overly temped with Williams material.

TCW was temped so heavily they even mentioned it on the DVD featurette (for the film). I've never once heard any other film openly mention using music from other films before.

47 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Clone Wars. Season 1 and 2 had very little original material. Unlike Rebels it was almost all non-Williams music they were using though, whereas Rebels was pretty much overly temped with Williams material.

TCW was temped so heavily they even mentioned it on the DVD featurette (for the film). I've never once heard any other film openly mention using music from other films before.

Do you have examples of this? I'd be very curious to see them all documented

1 hour ago, enderdrag64 said:

Do you have examples of this? I'd be very curious to see them all documented

I don't have a list of all of them (but would love to figure out what they all are!) But there are a few specific cues from The Scorpion King that I made a video for years ago...

Here's another one:

Spoiler

Also this:

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't have a list of all of them (but would love to figure out what they all are!) But there are a few specific cues from The Scorpion King that I made a video for years ago...

Here's another one:

Reveal hidden contents

Also this:

This just increases my respect for Debney as a composer.

13 hours ago, dylanskie said:

Wes Chatham (played Amos Burton in The Expanse TV series) will be in this. He did an amazing job in The Expanse. Hope they don't give him cheesy lines in this

https://deadline.com/2023/04/wes-chatham-ahsoka-disney-1235322615/

Ah yes, the fellow who always reminds me vaguely of Aaron Douglas.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Found on reddit

StarWars-12pfy3d.jpg

I fell for a similar list before Obi-Wan...not again!

I like how they recommend you watch all of Rebels, which isn't a show about Ahsoka, but not Clone Wars, which is her show...or the film in which she's introduced. Classic Didney Star Wars fan logic.