The Fabelmans - score mentions in film reviews

DangerMotif

There is an abundance of comments to be found on Twitter on the score by now, ranging from 'extraordinary' to 'fine'. 

In general, people are positive about the music and the film. 

Oh yeah they have shit taste in music, the more they like or dislike something, the more likely I am to feel the opposite, thinking of early reviews I read praising The Post or trashing War Horse as scores. That said, this praise certainly elevates Williams’ chances of an Oscar, if anyone cares anymore. 

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

No offense but most of those film reviewers slash awards pundits are musically illiterate compared to the average jwfan user. They think Atticus Ross is one of the best composers out there. So take their opinion with a pinch of salt. They aren’t really discerning judges of film music per se. 

Yeah, no offense but this *IS* actually offensive. I don't think illiterate is an appropriate word. Also: People have different taste and different background and experience. No newsflash here. But one can point out this without calling less experienced people illiterate. Call them bad journalists, by all means. Also also: There might be people here on this site who aren't that experienced either and might know less than the so called "average jwfan user".

The IndieWire review doesn't mention the score a single time. Now imagine if this movie received a minimalistic synth score composed by an indie darling or a rock star, the reviewer would dedicate a whole paragraph to say how wonderful, innovative and "fresh" it is, the best score since modern classic The Social Network, so much better than anything the "outdated" John Williams writes, etc

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/09/the-fabelmans-review-1234760956/

15 hours ago, King Mark said:

I dunno...light piano tracks? Maybe these people don't have the same criteria for a good JW score than we do.

Sounds more like a dust collector but I could be wrong

We (the people of JWfan) don't even have the same criteria for a good JW score as "we" do. Personally, I've been developing more and more appreciation for his piano writing, including the lighter or more subdued stuff.

I don’t even believe these reviews when they say mostly piano stuff. As if any of them would know the difference between a piano and a tuba.

i love film critics. I am one. I know too many. And am friends with several. But I ain’t trusting any of their opinions on film music. Just plain and simple I know what I like in film music is an alien concept to them.

That’s okay, not all of us can like the same things.

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The IndieWire review doesn't mention the score a single time. Now imagine if this movie received a minimalistic synth score composed by an indie darling or a rock star, the reviewer would dedicate a whole paragraph to say how wonderful, innovative and "fresh" it is, the best score since modern classic The Social Network, so much better than anything the "outdated" John Williams writes, etc

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/09/the-fabelmans-review-1234760956/

He doesn't comment on the score specifically but he does say "the sequence in which Sammy discovers his mom’s crime of the heart is astonishing for its wordless virtuosity; it’s a self-contained fugue of music, faces, and light". Obviously we don't know if it's score or source music but I'm guessing a pivotal character moment like that would be Williams.

I'm well aware that the anticipation and excitement for a new John Williams score -and the 'mayhem' it brings about on this board- is in its final stages as we speak. If Indiana Jones 5 is indeed his last score, we have roughly one year to enjoy the speculating and getting tiny bits of information and details along the way.

I'm going to miss this as it's been part of my life for almost 30 years. 

From Deadline.com review:

Spielberg has assembled a group of his most reliable and talented filmmaking team to pull this all off including cinematographer Janusz Kaminski, costume designer Mark Bridges, production designer Rick Carter, and film editors Michael Kahn and Sarah Broshar. Of course, long-time collaborator John Williams had to do the score for this most personal of all Spielberg films, and it is a fine one that also makes great use of pop songs of the time like “Walk On By” and “Goodbye Cruel World” that really takes us right back there with Spielberg himself.

https://deadline.com/2022/09/the-fabelmans-toronto-review-steven-spielbergs-cinematic-memoir-1235114855/

I do hope that the film end with an extended End Credits suite by Williams. Those are always such a joy to listen to.

From Lincoln, War Horse, The Post, The BFG, Star Wars, Indiana Jones. I always love when a composer gets a chance to present all of the score's themes. It doesn't get done enough these days.

Only Williams does, Giacchino does it, Newton Howard sometimes does. Far too often the credits are just pasted together stuff from the score instead of a carefully composed suite. It's kind of a lost art. And when it appears, I'm all the more happy for it

43 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Now... does that mean JW picks up and plays with their melodies or just needledrops and a poorly worded sentence?

I think the scoring is in the simialr dramatic family style and period as that of CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.  I eagerly look forward to it. Spielberg was reportedly moved to tears with the music that Williams played out for him on the piano. 

18 hours ago, Henry Sítrónu said:

Yeah, no offense but this *IS* actually offensive. I don't think illiterate is an appropriate word. Also: People have different taste and different background and experience. No newsflash here. But one can point out this without calling less experienced people illiterate. Call them bad journalists, by all means. Also also: There might be people here on this site who aren't that experienced either and might know less than the so called "average jwfan user".

Oh, come on. If you call Atticus Ross a good composer, you just have no taste. There's a limit to what you can call 'different'.

Okay doubling down. How do we know these people are musically illiterate? 

See this image where Sean o Connell says the trailer music is from the movie. It sounded like piano sounds to him and he thinks its the same.

O Connell though is a known charlatan within the entertainment media. But it is full of them and people babbling about what they don’t a lick about.

AD37ECAC-4DCF-45AC-9B44-698068CBE285.png

30 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Williams is neither a rock star or an indie musician turned film composer, nor his scores are minimalistic, emotionless and mostly electronic. His music is the exact opposite of what the Academy loves these days. So I guess he'll be nominated but most likely will loose to another "experimental" and "fresh" score people won't remember one week after the ceremony.

Yep.   The only real chance he has is if the movie itself is such a media darling that the obsession bleeds over into the score.  

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Hildur Guonadottir has two Oscar contenders, Women Talking and Tar. Idk about the score for the former, but the latter in particular has kind of a juicy music-based narrative where it's about a female conductor, so it could go her way again.

Justin Hurwitz for Babylon is also a possible nominee/winner, he likes to go big and the movie will be very showy, could be one of those movies that scoops up a lot of the tech awards by default. 

The advantage for JW's chances is they've both also already won recently, and I do think he has kind of the most sentimental awards narrative this year. People are aware that he just turned 90 and that he's considering retirement from movies. A lot of people mentioning this might be his last Spielberg score in reviews and social media, and it being a Spielberg autobiography, people might feel like giving it to him on that basis. The knocks against it are that it seems like the movie is a bit lightweight and also that there isn't really a ton of Williams score in it, and he keeps it pretty mellow. But then again they give light movies Oscars plenty and the musical ignorance of AMPAS might finally work to his favor if there's a lot of classical piano in it lmao. 

It's still too early to make any substantial predictions, so anything can happen atm. Spielberg's film got a warm welcome in Toronto and is generating positive reactions by the usual Oscar pundits, but it's still September and too many potential contenders have to show up yet. Usually films that get a strong Oscar buzz this early end up not winning that much, as they tend to be overshadowed by films that are released later and the initial enthusiasm gets colder. We'll see.

Score-wise, imho there isn't much hope in seeing JW getting a 6th statuette. He's loved and respected by the community (especially his music peers), but he's seen more as Hollywood royalty nowadays than an actual contender for awards. The token nomination will be seen as a sign of respect and homage enough to generate media buzz (the usual "most nominated living person" titles), but that will be it.

Not like I'm holding my breath either but just knowing awards patterns, there is a more obvious narrative than usual. I think if he were to win, it would depend a lot on where Fabelmans as a movie falls in their favor compared to the other films nominated in score, as always.

From: Toronto 2022 Review: THE FABELMANS, Spielberg on Spielberg by Kurt Halfyard

"It is a tribute to his mother that John Williams often takes the background here, as Ms. Fabelman playing classical pieces on the family piano does a lot of the heavy lifting (score-wise) of the film."

Source: Toronto 2022 Review: THE FABELMANS, Spielberg on Spielberg (screenanarchy.com)

Oliver Sacks Piano GIF by Kino Lorber

5 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Score-wise, imho there isn't much hope in seeing JW getting a 6th statuette. He's loved and respected by the community (especially his music peers), but he's seen more as Hollywood royalty nowadays than an actual contender for awards. The token nomination will be seen as a sign of respect and homage enough to generate media buzz (the usual "most nominated living person" titles), but that will be it.

But what, If He actually delivered the best score of the year?

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Yep.   The only real chance he has is if the movie itself is such a media darling that the obsession bleeds over into the score.  

It might be.  The Academy loves love letters to itself, and this film appears to be that.

Yes, but don't forget that The Fabelmans isn't the only Oscar-buzz movie coming out soon about movie-making; there's also Sam Mendes' Empire of Light AND Damien Chazelle's Babylon