The Fabelmans - score mentions in film reviews

DangerMotif

By himself Williams won't have a chance. He will be nominated for sure though.

But the recent score winners have been all trash - as in not terrible scores but terrible choices for best of the year.

So honestly, I wouldn't bet on Williams winning at all.

The only way it wins as someone said above is if the film becomes the de fact front runner for best picture and best director. That would help it. 

That's how Desplat won for The Shape of Water. 

I don't think anyone in the Academy is going to feel that Williams is due in any way though we might all believe that. They clearly think we've given this guy 5 Oscars, that's enough for now. 

So yes, baring some huge change, I don't think Williams is winning at all. 

I think Reznor or Hildur or Hurwitz are all much more likely.

I know it's the sophisticated stance to be like "Ugh, shallow Hollywood only wants to celebrate the 'power' of storytelling/movies like the self-serving narcissists they are."  Which I totally understand, but I'm often an easy mark for those kinds of stories when they feel sincere.

If it follows last years trend, Hildur will have a much higher chance of winning because she's a woman.

I guessed EVERY SINGLE WINNER last year according to how many "checkmarks" the nominees had. It's like they even rehearsed their "special deaf applause" bit before announcing Coda as best picture .  It nearly made me never want to watch the Oscars again when it used to me my favorite night of the year.

I'm just hoping a film about the "magic of movies" might remind them of who should actually win and what the essence of cinema really is.

It's just women didn't go into that line of work like composer or director, not that they were discriminated against. And if a women directs a film she still has to earn her nomination , not automatically be nominated because she's the only woman who directed a film that year or Natalie Portman said so (see her angry onstage rant a few years back when she presented the best director award) . I have nothing against a woman winning if she actually did the best work that year.

I've never seen a time where an actress was seen as inferior to an actor.

yeah we might not think the score is that great either.

We already got hints that the score is "sparse", consists mostly of light piano, so far praised by "hip" critics who usually dislike JW's style and KK's mention that he only noticed 1 theme, and speculation the OST might have filler songs.

It might also be mixed so low we can barely hear it in the film, which tends to happen to most JW scores since the mid 90's.

Sounds like it'll be the ultimate 'concept' album where 17 of the 20 minutes of score he wrote are released, and the rest is needledrops and other random stuff.

Which itself is perhaps an indication that the score itself might just be a few very pleasant pieces. I can't be the only one here who's had somewhat more musical excitements lately than this.

The movie could probably be the last collaboration between Spielberg and JW, one of the most successful director/composer duos in history and yet SS prefers to fill a big part of the movie with pre-existing songs while the Williams score is just a bunch of light piano pieces that cover about 15% of the movie. 

I'm really disappointing, and I expected more from Spielberg.

Maybe, but since I'm more of a Williams fan than a Spielberg fan (actually, these days I've been more film score fan than movie fan), I'm still disappointed with what will be their final movie will have a light, inconsequential score. Which is a shame, this could've inspired a truly great, emotional score.

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe, but since I'm more of a Williams fan than a Spielberg fan (actually, these days I've been more film score fan than movie fan), I'm still disappointed with what will be their final movie will have a light, inconsequential score. Which is a shame, this could've inspired a truly great, emotional score.

I envy you that you’ve heard the score already. 

Exactly.

I'll never forgive Spielberg for, in their final collaboration, he plasters the movie with whatever the fuck classical music he enjoys, while JW takes the back seat.

I don't care if "iT hElPs tHe MoViE". This should've been special, and it won't, thanks to his fucking nostalgia for his mom playing the piano.

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Exactly.

I'll never forgive Spielberg for, in their final collaboration, he plasters the movie with whatever the fuck classical music he enjoys, while JW takes the back seat.

I don't care if "iT hElPs tHe MoViE". This should've been special, and it won't, thanks to his fucking nostalgia for his mom playing the piano.

Maybe Spielberg was thinking that his friend is 90 years old and already had a gigantic film to score....

Just now, Jay said:

That's just as much nonsense as the other idea

Is it though? If JW wasn't able to do Bridge of Spies and RPO on account of being busy with SW, then is it particularly implausible that Spielberg would want their last collaboration to be lite on account of being busy with Indy 5 this time?

Of course, it being a more personal film for Steven is the more likely reason it's turned out like it has (plus the schedules probably disproving much of what's speculated here), but I don't know if I'd think it's too far fetched of an assumption to make.

Just now, HunterTech said:

is it particularly implausible that Spielberg would want their last collaboration to be lite on account of being busy with Indy 5 this time?

I'd say so, yes.

Spielberg is a director who can get anything he wants for his films.  I'm sure the music in the film is exactly what he wanted.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

After 70 years of men being in favour in the business for no reason except their sex, I think, we can stand a few years with women being preferred.

If you're saying men won awards for 70 years to spite women, you're insane.

To quote Ricky Gervais: let's go back a few years when female directors weren't even hired. That will solve the problem.

In this thread about The Fabelmans score, a discussion of its chances to win an Oscar can be considered on topic, but a wider discussion about gender politics in movie-making and award-giving is not. 

Let's stay focused on the topic at hand in threads like this one.  Thank you.

I think at the end of the day, this is Steven Spielberg’s movie, not John Williams. Whether he chose to use pre-existing material or score is up to him in order to show his vision for the film. You can choose to be disappointed if you want, but at least watch the movie before passing judgement on it. 

3 minutes ago, Brando said:

I think at the end of the day, this is Steven Spielberg’s movie, not John Williams. Whether he chose to use pre-existing material or score is up to him in order to show his vision for the film. You can choose to be disappointed if you want, but at least watch the movie before passing judgement on it. 

michael Scott - Album on Imgur

From IGN's review:

Steven Spielberg goes autobiographical with The Fabelmans, his warmest and most personal film to date. With a coming-of-age story that is universal in its portrayal of misunderstood artists and broken homes, but hyper-specific in its portrayal of the childhood that formed a legendary filmmaker, this is a therapy session turned into a hugely entertaining movie, aided by a fantastic cast, and one of John Williams' best scores in years.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Edmilson is being actually ridiculous here.

Until I decided otherwise, I'm certain this movie is nothing but a missed opportunity for me. Don't like what I say here? I don't care. I'll continue saying so. Either put me on ignore or go cry in your bed because it's warmer there.

13 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I'm more bothered by the idea that a smaller JW score is something that can't be appreciated, since a more piano led affair sounds fairly appealing tbh.

I’ll wait till I see it to comment, more of the issue I seem to be hearing is that there are only 2 more guaranteed scores left and it doesn’t seem like there is a-lot going on musically here but we’ll find out in November

9 hours ago, Gibster said:

Indy 5 is def more anticipated for me.

But with Spielberg backing out as director there's a strange feeling about this being JW's final film score.

I mean, Spielberg already made movies that seemed to me rather like a canvas for Williams' score than an actual movie. Hook comes to mind or CE3K. But this here seems to be really a very personal movie for Spielberg and as much his work usually reflects his dedication to Williams' music, Williams shows the same admiration and dedication to Spielberg's work and tries to support with his musical skills to make the best movie possible, which, what he repeatetly mentions, is also to leave music away, where the pictures better work on their own.

That gave us short scores like Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List and The Post, which are in many people's favourite lists. 

I don't understand this fixation on pure score quantity to be honest.

I expect not less than a movie that will be a key experience for many of us, who grew up with the film world of Steven Spielberg, whos way to experience and think in movies has been influenced by early movie experiences like E.T., Indiana Jones, JP etc. 

I am really looking forward to this.

I just saw this on Twitter. One guy who didn't seem especially enamored by the new JW score:

It wasn't even one of his top ten favorite scores from films that premiered at the festival.