The Fabelmans - score mentions in film reviews

DangerMotif

On 14/09/2022 at 12:21 PM, Disco Stu said:

Williams has nothing to prove, no need to make some “final statement.”  He will give the film in front of him the score it needs like he always does.

Yeah, about that: what WOULD we consider to be his final statement right now? TROS? Berlin concert? I'm hesitant to go for TROS as long as we don't have a proper album.

6 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, about that: what WOULD we consider to be his final statement right now? TROS? Berlin concert? I'm hesitant to go for TROS as long as we don't have a proper album.

Helena's Theme united with Marion’s Theme?

His piano concerto?

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

what WOULD we consider to be his final statement right now?

Williams is not some grandiose Romantic narcissist like Mahler or whatever.  He doesn't think in those terms so we shouldn't try to project it on to his work.

No, he needs to release a big showstopper preferably called something like 'An American Symphony' with 500 piece orchestra, mixed chorus, cannon shots and allusions to all his big blockbuster cues. I mean, what more could we ask for?

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

No, he needs to release a big showstopper preferably called something like 'An American Symphony' with 500 piece orchestra, mixed chorus, cannon shots and allusions to all his big blockbuster cues. I mean, what more could we ask for?

a requiem ;-)

5 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

It's probably more than a bit incorrect since I have trouble reading the spots that are probably trying to communicate to me the sharp and flat symbols, and I am too tired to play a harmony guessing game atm. One bar of bassline is obscured, so I left it empty.

The work of an old and wise master!

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Lando's not a theme, he's a man

I was thinking of the most insignificant SW characters, like Lobot's Theme.

9 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

It's probably more than a bit incorrect since I have trouble reading the spots that are probably trying to communicate to me the sharp and flat symbols, and I am too tired to play a harmony guessing game atm. One bar of bassline is obscured, so I left it empty.

I can hear Bach.

Didn't JW listen to a ton of Bach over lockdown? If it translates over to JW's music then that's too bad, since Bach isn't my thing.

1 hour ago, Sandor said:

I think there is not a singular final statement. Williams probably receives more acclaim now, then at any other point in his career. The concerts in Vienna, Berlin and Milan, his collaboration with Anne-Sophie Mutter and the fact that he's still scoring films at 90 (!) years of age, including an Indiana Jones film is such a wonderful moment to witness.

I think Williams 'final statement' is that during the last phase of his career, he was regarded as 'a great composer', not just a 'film music composer' and his music and presence was heralded in the epicentre of classical music. 

image.png

And with JWFan members literally in the photo! (me included!)

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

Great work.Is there someone in this thread who saw the film. That can comment?

https://movieweb.com/the-fabelmans-tiff-2022-review/

"Meanwhile, John Williams' score, yet another with an established working relationship with Spielberg, is the musical heartbeat of The Fabelmans, at once grand and whispering when the moment calls for it."

14 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Starting to get some hopium that this could be Williams’ year

Williams' *year*? Because he might win his now sixth Oscar for what is certainly no major new work? This kind of thinking always was elusive to me. Who cares? What does it change? JW really has enough awards, honorary titles, plaques and so on. It would honor him much more if they would use the opportunity to showcase him and film MUSIC in a segment as (once) important artform that has been neglected and for quite a while now. 

8 hours ago, Sandor said:

There are almost 8 billion (!) people on this planet my friend, all with different ambitions, opinions, goals, viewpoints and dreams. If you're going to comment on every line of thinking that deviates from your own, you're going to find yourself a very busy man. ;) 

Be assured that i make such comments only in the most puzzling examples (which i spot). Or i would have a full-time job on this board alone. ;) 

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

Be assured that i make such comments only in the most puzzling examples (which i spot). Or i would have a full-time job on this board alone. ;) 

😉

1 hour ago, Sandor said:

Based on comments from those who have seen the film, I don't think the writer of this article has actually heard the score.  

It would be rather bizarre if Williams won for this. But he will certainly get nominated.

Hildur is getting a lot of buzz for Women Talking and I imagine Tar will do well too. So could be her year again.

On 22/09/2022 at 4:03 PM, Fabulin said:

The character of those descending fifths in the beginning sounds close to the intro idea that leads into the main melody (which is doubled on celeste). From what I remember, the main theme itself is rather simple in shape. Maybe I'll noodle something out from memory later when I'm at the piano.

The only really major award for his kind of work that Williams has never won is a Pulitzer Prize for Music.  That will never happen, although I suppose its possible they one day give him a "posthumous citation" like they did for Duke Ellington and George Gershwin.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The only really major award for his kind of work that Williams has never won is a Pulitzer Prize for Music.  That will never happen, although I suppose its possible they one day give him a "posthumous citation" like they did for Duke Ellington and George Gershwin.

You say that having not heard Indiana Jones 5

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

JW would possibly also qualify for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Barack Obama Yes GIF by The Democrats

The music Pulitzer has been awarded to a film score exactly once before, in 1949 for Virgil Thomson's score to the non-Hollywood production Louisiana Story.  It was really just because they wanted to give Virgil Thomson a prize I think.  For those not steeped in reading about that mid-century American classical culture like I am, Virgil Thomson was a very influential figure, but more for his writing as a music critic and his prominence in the NYC classical music social circles than for his own music.  In the long term, his only real importance was pointing Aaron Copland in the direction of using American folk music for his populist turn of the 1930s.

3 hours ago, publicist said:

His most famous works, The River and The Plow that Broke the Plains, are worth a listen.

Oh I agree, and I even own the DVD Naxos released with those re-recorded scores replacing the soundtracks of the original short films.  His Symphony on a Hymn Tune is also very nice.  Thomson is an interesting footnote, but a footnote nonetheless.

It's fun to do a direct comparison comparison between Thomson's arrangement of the cowboy tune "I Ride an Old Paint" and Copland's in the Rodeo ballet.  IMO you can hear why Thomson was always going to be in the Copland's shadow. 

I should also say that the concert suite of the film score Thomson won the Pulitzer for is good!

This lengthy article sees Williams' The Fabelmans score as a 'potential frontrunner', but not as a frontrunner, although it adds: Note: Only films that the author has seen will be named frontrunners at this time. Perhaps the writer simply didn't see The Fabelmans yet. 

It also states the score has been confirmed eligible. 

https://www.indiewire.com/feature/2023-oscars-best-original-score-predictions-1234766585/

6 hours ago, Sandor said:

This lengthy article sees Williams' The Fabelmans score as a 'potential frontrunner', but not as a frontrunner, although it adds: Note: Only films that the author has seen will be named frontrunners at this time. Perhaps the writer simply didn't see The Fabelmans yet. 

It also states the score has been confirmed eligible. 

https://www.indiewire.com/feature/2023-oscars-best-original-score-predictions-1234766585/

I am glad it is eligible.  "Potential frontrunner" sounds similar to when people say something like "This world leader might do such and such."  The "might" makes the statement true about any given person doing any given thing.  

On 27/09/2022 at 8:23 AM, BB-8 said:

Does he urgently need an Oscar after getting a KBE?

harrison ford hug GIF by The Academy Awards

Does Williams qualify for Sainthood?

St. John Williams. I like the sound of that

I am expected the main themes and (minimally the) end credits to be extremely good.  However, it would be funny if the score was so low-key as to be boring and end up being the score to win an Oscar after 30 years.