The Fabelmans - OST Album

Chewy

I would say no, not really.  JW likely constructed the same album program he would for any label.

Actually I just thought of something, maybe the album will include some of the source songs used in the movie, so it had to come out on a major music label and not Universal's internal one?  I dunno.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wonder why Universal granted a music license to Milan Records instead of releasing it under their own Backlot Records?

They didn't want to distribute it.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Right - I wonder why they didn't want to distribute it?

Economical decision, they think a wide distribution would not cover its costs.

Sony is the distributor or the Milan Label.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Actually I just thought of something, maybe the album will include some of the source songs used in the movie, so it had to come out on a major music label and now Universal's internal one?  I dunno.

oh no.our worst OST nightmare

My expectations for the OST albums are ALWAYS low.

Most realistic prediction: It will be a short score so most of it will fit on the c.d. and we might even get unused music. But that lush orchestral passage in the film's finale everyone here will praise as the best bit will be unreleased.

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Economical decision, they think a wide distribution would not cover its costs.

Sony is the distributor or the Milan Label.

May I ask on which authority you’re making these claims?

I wonder if any of the classical piano pieces that diagetically appear in the film will be on the Milan soundtrack. If yes, I hope they’ll be performed originally—either by Michelle Williams, if she’s a competent pianist, or (ideally) by JW himself.

Almost anything her character would perform in the film would likely be in the public domain, so that’d surely make things easier on the licensing end of things.

30 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

I wonder if any of the classical piano pieces that diagetically appear in the film will be on the Milan soundtrack. If yes, I hope they’ll be performed originally—either by Michelle Williams, if she’s a competent pianist, or (ideally) by JW himself.

Almost anything her character would perform in the film would likely be in the public domain, so that’d surely make things easier on the licensing end of things.

Piano and keyboard solos on the score are performed by Robert Thies and Joanne Pearce Martin.

1 minute ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

Is there a release date yet? Will it be released digitally?

Of course it will be released digitally.  In this day and age the question is, will a new release OST be released physically.  For JW the answer is probably still Yes.  For most composers, it's increasingly No.

2 minutes ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

Is there a release date yet?

If there was one, that information would be in this thread already, of course.

2 minutes ago, Michael Grigorowitsch said:

Will it be released digitally?

Obviously. In what world would any film score from 2022 not be sold at digital retailers?

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

If there was one, that information would be in this thread already, of course.

Obviously. In what world would any film score from 2022 not be sold at digital retailers?

As long as we get a CD, too.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Most new film scores do not get physical CD releases.

Like I said above, I'll be very surprised if that trend applies to JW.  I think he's basically the only film composer working who's still guaranteed a non-limited major label CD release for a new score in 2022.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does anyone know when the last time Milan Records issued a physical CD was?

There's probably one more recent, but just picking at random from their titles of 2021/2022, I see that Balfe's Wheel of Time got a CD release:

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-Amazon-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B09L9ZCV9M/

It says in the details that the manufacturer is Milan, so that implies it's not one of those CD-R deals, right?

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

They do vinyl in many, many colours...

I mean Spielberg himself will probably want a hard copy so he can add some personal liner notes.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

There's probably one more recent, but just picking at random from their titles of 2021/2022, I see that Balfe's Wheel of Time got a CD release:

https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Time-Amazon-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B09L9ZCV9M/

It says in the details that the manufacturer is Milan, so that implies it's not one of those CD-R deals, right?

I think so!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think so!

Found it on Discogs where someone actually uploaded scans.  The back says both "Sony Classical" and "Milan".  I'd bet that Fabelmans will do that too, given JW's long-time relationship with Sony Classical.

https://www.discogs.com/release/22047766-Lorne-Balfe-The-Wheel-Of-Time-The-First-Turn-Amazon-Original-Series-Soundtrack

Secondary, 3 of 9

On 16/9/2022 at 5:13 PM, Jay said:

Simon Franglen's soundtrack of a film about Notre Dame on fire got a CD release earlier this year. But that looks like Milan in Europe rather than Milan in North America

IIRC Steve Jablonsky's Red Notice got a CD release from Milan as well. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Jay said:

According to this page, the OST album will release on Friday, November 11th

http://filmmusicreporter.com/upcoming-soundtrack-albums/

I assumed it would but nice to have confirmation (although whoever runs that website is maybe assuming too)

2 hours ago, Brando said:

I would've thought it would release the same day as the film, but then again this isn't a big blockbuster/franchise movie either.

This is the release date--it opens as limited on the 11th and then expands two weeks later. 

52 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Does anyone have any info on whoever runs that account? Such a mystery but he gets everything. legend

By "account", do you mean the Film Music Reporter website?

I heard once that it's run by @Kaya, but I have no idea if that's true or not.  Maybe @Koray Savas knows?

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

I heard once that it's run by @Kaya, but I have no idea if that's true or not.  Maybe @Koray Savas knows?

Such a mystery to me, whoever runs it is a legend. Just interesting how it breaks almost all of score news and is completely annonomys

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Kaya runs Film Music Media. I’m not sure who runs Film Music Reporter.