The Fabelmans - OST Album

Chewy

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

"Run time ‏ : ‎ 31 minutes"

31 minutes including the classical pieces, right?

And if the classical music is actually 16 and a half minutes like you say a few posts above, then there's just 14 and a half minutes of Williams music. 

So basically the same runtime as The Battle of Hoth lol

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

Place your bets: will it still be incomplete? ;)

I'm betting YES!

Well this barely seems worth buying the CD for after all. With all the classical pieces removed, I guess you can think of the result as a John Williams EP. I look forward very much to hearing the original solo piano pieces!

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

Cynical view. It’ll contain music not in the film but miss some music in the film. Just to annoy us haha 

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

Cynical view. It’ll contain music not in the film but miss some music in the film. Just to annoy us haha 

But annoying us is what Williams does!

Aside from obviously being incomplete and probably containing music not in the film, it's been stated multiple times that the film doesn't have much score, and yet still ye olde believing JWFanners thought we'd somehow get a 75 minute orchestral extravaganza on CD....

Wait for Indy 5 for that.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah, he only composed a single cue for "The Screaming Women", "Dear Basketball" is only 5 minutes, etc.

But for feature-length theatrical films for which he was the only original score composer: Yea, it'd be this one.

Conrack?

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

31 minutes including the classical pieces, right?

And if the classical music is actually 16 and a half minutes like you say a few posts above, then there's just 14 and a half minutes of Williams music. 

So basically the same runtime as The Battle of Hoth lol

Those were just random performances of those pieces I quickly found via google when I saw the track list - and I didn't even check to see if there's crap at the end of the videos that padded their runtimes.

It's entirely possible they made new, shorter arrangements of these pieces for the film/album.

Maybe the album is 22 minutes of score and 9 minutes of classical pieces, something like that.  Who knows.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe the album is 22 minutes of score and 9 minutes of classical pieces, something like that.  Who knows.

Well, for starters the last track includes an excerpt of the piece, so it will not be the entire 6 minute duration.

Have to admit I’m rather perplexed and disappointed if this score is under 20 minutes long. I know the reviews said there wasn’t much score but I assumed that meant, say, 30-40 minutes.

47 minutes ago, Gibster said:

Isn’t amazon.com/dp/ for another country?

That threw me off for a second too, but I don't think it's a domain suffix or else it would be ".co.dp" much like "amazon.co.uk". Not sure what the DP is for here then.

EDIT: Apparently it stands for "detail page".

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

what?

He thought it was a domain suffix.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I mean the entire album, not just score portion.  31 minutes has gotta be among his shortest

The Post is somewhere around 40 min, and Monsignor is less than 40 min, Midway IIRC is even shorter

but yeah The Fabelmans looks like the shortest of them all

53 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This is a 2 hr 30 min film. It’s baffling to me it has 15 mins of original score.

i am now really curious to see the film. Why would they spot the film this way?

This is a normal mainstream commercial drama. How does it have that little score.

Edit: Also with 15 mins of understated piano solos, Williams ain’t winning jack. 

Exactly. And the worst part: there's a big chance this will be the final collaboration between SS and JW. It's quite sad that it will end with such a short score. 

1 hour ago, Gibster said:

Isn’t amazon.com/dp/ for another country?

The "dp" is part of every Amazon article link. You can generally shorten the URL to www.amazon.[com|co.uk|de|whatever]/dp/articlenumber and throw out everything else to get a shorter link to the same article.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

4 hours ago, Jay said:

"One of the most celebrated film composers of all time, JOHN WILLIAMS has composed many of the most successful Hollywood movies - Jaws, Star Wars & Indiana Jones to name a few. During his 6-decade spanning career, he has most notably worked with film director STEVEN SPIELBERG. For their 31st collaboration and 50th anniversary, they have crafted THE FABELMANS. The deeply personal Spielberg film will draw audiences into the cinema to revere the latest collaboration of the iconic Hollywood duo. John Williams’ music for the film spans from romantic solo piano pieces to big orchestra score pieces in the tradition of classic films whilst also drawing from great classical composers from earlier times. The CD booklet contains liner notes from Steven Spielberg as well as images from the film."

Pre-ordered already! I cannot wait to experience the film and the Maestro's score!

I try not to prejudge, but this is way too short--particularly given the presence of the classical pieces.  

I hope that last track is longer and satisfying, though that would make the other tracks very short.  

We'll see.  I am sure I will like it, but I was thinking 30-40 mintues of original score with some other pieces added in.  

Either way, I hope for a nicely developed concert version in concerts soon.  

5 minutes ago, pete said:

Where is the talk of the length of the score coming from if we don't have track lengths? The movie? 

Also wondering this. If the runtime that is being discussed is correct then it is a shame because I’m sure there’s at least a little bit more music in the movie that is 2h30min.

And Williams puts a lot of thought and effort into his soundtrack releases. If there's little score in the film, and he feels that's not adequate for a soundtack, he'll expand and revise pieces. And we don't know which pieces are concert arrangements. The Fablemans probably is, "Mother and Son" could be.

This excites me:

John Williams’ music for the film spans from romantic solo piano pieces to big orchestra score pieces in the tradition of classic films

23 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

a significant portion of the response is that it’s “not enough”.

The World (aka John Williams) is not Enough.  

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Scoring a film is never about how much music there is but where it goes and how it supports a scene.

Thank you for bringing logic and reason into the discussion! 

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The "dp" is part of every Amazon article link. You can generally shorten the URL to www.amazon.[com|co.uk|de|whatever]/dp/articlenumber and throw out everything else to get a shorter link to the same article.

Plus you can shorten it even more with the "share" button, such as https://a.co/d/bvMtFcK

To be clear, I'm still really excited for this score! Just always would prefer more Williams music to less. :) I suspect what we do get will be of extremely high quality, as usual.

In terms of judgment, I think the length is irrelevant.

Santaolalla has won many awards including Oscar for Brokeback Mountain.

Full OST Length: 43:21
Santaolalla: 26:59