The Fabelmans - OST Album

Chewy

I mean, I have no doubt, that the score is going to be great.

I just don't like this just the digital version being relased at movie start and the physical release coming a Month later. I see no sense in this apart from the record company hoping to sell the score twice to collectors and just making more money ot of it.

26 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I just don't like this just the digital version being relased at movie start and the physical release coming a Month later. I see no sense in this apart from the record company hoping to sell the score twice to collectors and just making more money ot of it.

I doubt there's any logic or strategy behind it. Probably more a reflection of the manufacturing delays that plague CDs now. Like it or not, it's a dying medium. 

4 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Wasn't this supposed to be released by Milan records? And now it's Sony Classical? 🧐

They must have made a change.  Milan, though, is owned by Sony, so it seems more like a paperwork thing than anything else.  

5 hours ago, ciarlese said:

Wasn't this supposed to be released by Milan records? And now it's Sony Classical? 🧐

Sony bought Milan in 2019

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I mean, I have no doubt, that the score is going to be great.

My guess is it's far more likely to be manufacturing and related issues holding up a CD.

Who series 13 just did this too but I'm not interested in the CD so I just bought a download.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Sony bought Milan in 2019

I have no doubt the two have connections, but what's the point to announce Milan records if the mother company will do it? 

I think something must have changed in the meantime, or the first announcement was wrong at first.

13 hours ago, filmmusic said:

If the classical pieces/period songs etc. in the film are more than the actual score, I wonder if that'll make it eligible for the Oscars.

I don't think that will be a problem. In 1984, Jarre won for A Passage to India, despite there's only 20-25 minutes of music in the whole 163 minute film. And there's also Brokeback Mountain.

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think that will be a problem. In 1984, Jarre won for A Passage to India, despite there's only 20-25 minutes of music in the whole 163 minute film. And there's also Brokeback Mountain.

Correct, the score can be short. I just found this link to the rules for best original score from last year and there is little reason to expect them to change for this year. https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/93aa_music_rule.pdf

The key rule for a non-sequel is that 60%+ of the music in the film has to be originally scored for the film. So, assuming the piano pieces in the movie are relatively short, I suspect there is likely enough score to qualify the maestro's work. And an appeal process exists to even ask the Governors to waive that requirement, which I think they would do in this case given the other music are basically diegetic (or at least narratively driven). Plus, would the Governors really turn down this sort of request from Spielberg? I doubt it. And frankly, the Amblin folks all know the rules and might even have ensured that the score was 60% in the final mix.

In searching for the above rules, I also ran into the list of composers who have multiple best score nominations. We know that JW is the most nominated in this category (and most nominated living person ever). With 47 score noms (not including 5 song noms), he is ahead of Alfred Newman (43). The next closet composer is Max Steiner (24 - although he was composing before the award category existed) and then no one else above 20. 

I always think that only 5 wins for JW is really a paltry amount. But actually, in this category, only Newman has more with 9. Four people have 4 wins. Just goes to indicate how impactful JW has been. Longevity helps of course but even if we take review his first 75 years, the numbers are still impressive and include all 5 wins and 40 score noms (up through and including Munich & Geisha in 2006). Amazing.

So, like many others in this thread, if ~20 mins of score is what we get, it's 20 mins x many listens of enjoyment to happen starting in under 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, lairdo said:

Correct, the score can be short. I just found this link to the rules for best original score from last year and there is little reason to expect them to change for this year. https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/93aa_music_rule.pdf

The key rule for a non-sequel is that 60%+ of the music in the film has to be originally scored for the film. So, assuming the piano pieces in the movie are relatively short, I suspect there is likely enough score to qualify the maestro's work. And an appeal process exists to even ask the Governors to waive that requirement, which I think they would do in this case given the other music are basically diegetic (or at least narratively driven). Plus, would the Governors really turn down this sort of request from Spielberg? I doubt it. And frankly, the Amblin folks all know the rules and might even have ensured that the score was 60% in the final mix.

In searching for the above rules, I also ran into the list of composers who have multiple best score nominations. We know that JW is the most nominated in this category (and most nominated living person ever). With 47 score noms (not including 5 song noms), he is ahead of Alfred Newman (43). The next closet composer is Max Steiner (24 - although he was composing before the award category existed) and then no one else above 20. 

I always think that only 5 wins for JW is really a paltry amount. But actually, in this category, only Newman has more with 9. Four people have 4 wins. Just goes to indicate how impactful JW has been. Longevity helps of course but even if we take review his first 75 years, the numbers are still impressive and include all 5 wins and 40 score noms (up through and including Munich & Geisha in 2006). Amazing.

So, like many others in this thread, if ~20 mins of score is what we get, it's 20 mins x many listens of enjoyment to happen starting in under 2 weeks.

This is old. Current threshold is 35%, quite a bit lower than the earlier 60%.

That is the only reason Williams will qualify. Under old rules he would have been disqualified.

EDIT: They have been getting really lax with the rules. The actual original rule required 80% of the music to be original score. That is still the requirement for sequel scores.

3 hours ago, lairdo said:

I always think that only 5 wins for JW is really a paltry amount. But actually, in this category, only Newman has more with 9.

And Menken, if you count songs.

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This is old. Current threshold is 35%, quite a bit lower than the earlier 60%.

That is the only reason Williams will qualify. Under old rules he would have been disqualified.

EDIT: They have been getting really lax with the rules. The actual original rule required 80% of the music to be original score. That is still the requirement for sequel scores.

Oh, wow. Those were literally last year's rules - they've changed again? Well, that's only good in this case!

4 hours ago, Thor said:

And Menken, if you count songs.

Very true. 

It would be nice if JW gets another Oscar, but honestly I just want the score to be good and work well in the film. If he's written a score that works perfectly in the film, supports the visual narrative effectively, then I'll be happy - even if, for some technical reason, he can't be nominated for the award.

2 minutes ago, Archive Collection said:

It would be nice if JW gets another Oscar, but honestly I just want the score to be good and work well in the film. If he's written a score that works perfectly in the film, supports the visual narrative effectively, then I'll be happy - even if, for some technical reason, he can't be nominated for the award.

And that we get a nice listening experience with the album. 

1 hour ago, Archive Collection said:

And that's a win in my book.

In terms of short JW soundtracks, Pete n Tillie comes to mind, too.

I had also hoped for more Williams music with this, but it is what it is. Nevertheless I am looking forward for the movie.  And then for Indy 5.

1 minute ago, Gurkensalat said:

In terms of short JW soundtracks, Pete n Tillie comes to mind, too.

I had also hoped for more Williams music with this, but it is what it is. Nevertheless I am looking forward for the movie.  And then for Indy 5.

Well, there's also CONRACK, which is probably around 20 minutes or so in total. Of course, it never had a soundtrack of its own; only the 6-minute opening credits have been released.

12 hours ago, Archive Collection said:

I'm even easier to please than this, honestly...I'd just be happy to have yet another nice track to replay or a new melody to hum idly. 

20 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm even easier to please than this, honestly...I'd just be happy to have yet another nice track to replay or a new melody to hum idly. 

Yeah I'm kinda the same.  Like I rarely listen to the full Post OST, but the finale track is one of my most played of recent years.  If there's even just one cue that I want to listen to over and over, I'll be a happy camper.

When you're campaigning for a composer to win an oscar before you've actually heard a note of what they've done, I can't help but think it's more about wanting JW to win another one, and not really about this score.

What if we're about to get 20 mins of music from the same mind that gave us the underscore from KotCS, which doesn't have the greatest reputation here.

For the record, I hope it's a really nice little score. I just hate the oscars and get amused by how it winds up fans :lol:

18 minutes ago, Quppa said:

Does anyone know why the international release of this film is so delayed (March in Germany!)? I'll have the score months in advance of getting the chance to hear it in its original context.

I can only guess but… It’s probably not cheap for distributors to buy and it’s considered a niche film (like The Post). And I’m sure they want to capitalize on Oscars because then they can slap that on all promotional materials hence ensuring a better box office number. 

On 28/10/2022 at 5:22 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

Edit: Also with 15 mins of understated piano solos, Williams ain’t winning jack. 

Anne Dudley won the Oscar for her score to The Full Monty. I think that amounted to about 15 minutes of original music.

5 minutes ago, pixie_twinkle said:

Anne Dudley won the Oscar for her score to The Full Monty. I think that amounted to about 15 minutes of original music.

That was the brief 90s period when they had two score categories: one for drama and one comedy/musical, so you have a few weird winners in that time.  That was actually the same Oscars where Horner won for Titanic.

The more general point stands though that some funny choices get made by voters when there's good sentiment towards the film.  Dudley beat Elfman's Men in Black in comedy category.

The other thing about the Oscars is that his Original Score wins are so good as a group that I almost would rather let them sit there untouched forever.

But I also have always just accepted Oscar politics because the whole fun for me is in the long legacy of showbiz trivia and statistics. And he would be the oldest winner ever if he were to win at this point. That's cool. Although his speech would probably be pretty dry judging by the past.

But it's just fun to see someone you like win an award on TV. It's annoying to want it too much and it's annoying to be a party pooper about it. If he wins, it's probably because he lived to be a 90 year old gangster who is pretty much always good, including for the last 30 years since his last Oscar, and because this year in particular he wrote a valentine to Steven Spielberg and everyone agrees their romance is true love. 

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

That was the brief 90s period when they had two score categories: one for drama and one comedy/musical, so you have a few weird winners in that time.  That was actually the same Oscars where Horner won for Titanic.

Even more unbelievable that John Williams had various nominations during those four years, but no wins. 

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Even more unbelievable that John Williams had various nominations during those four years, but no wins. 

Between SPR, Life is Beautiful, and Shakespeare in Love, 1998 was an especially competitive year in terms of awards momentum narratives.

And then considering it was the only nomination for the film, Angela’s Ashes was definitely one of JW’s courtesy noms, where he’s in there because of his name and reputation.  Much like The Book Thief later on.

Angela's Ashes was a courtesy nod but that was the year they went back to one score category. Corigliano surprisingly took that which was kind of Thomas Newman's to lose for American Beauty.

Williams' nods in those split years were:

1995: Nixon (Drama, lost to Luis Bacalov for The Postman) and Sabrina (Comedy or Musical, lost to Alan Menken for Pocahontas) 

1996: Sleepers (Drama, lost to Gabriel Yared for The English Patient)

1997: Amistad (Drama, lost to James Horner for Titanic) 

1998: Saving Private Ryan (Drama, lost to Nicola Piovani for Life is Beautiful)

None of these are too surprising imo

What's funny is they only did that split in the first place because Disney had been monopolizing the category. Yet once they split it, Menken only won his Comedy or Musical category once and wasn't even nominated for Hercules.

Also weirdly, John Williams just so happened to win for Schindler's List in one of Disney's only two gap years between 1989-1994 (the other was 1990 which went to John Barry for Dances with Wolves) 

39 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Just wondering; how do we know the OST is 31 minutes in total?

On 28/10/2022 at 2:36 PM, Jay said:

Oh, I just noticed this on the Amazon US entry:

"Run time ‏ : ‎ 31 minutes"

Ah ok, thanks.

Could it be wrong though? Like back in 2001 an initial tracklist was published for the A.I. OST which was different from the final release? 

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

What's funny is they only did that split in the first place because Disney had been monopolizing the category. Yet once they split it, Menken only won his Comedy or Musical category once and wasn't even nominated for Hercules.

Yes, ironic that they enact the split category exactly when the Disney Renaissance began its decline