The Fabelmans - OST Album

Chewy

9 hours ago, Jay said:

I think it's great that we're getting a score like this AND a new Indiana Jones score within short order.

That's more exciting to me than two scores of similar styles!

100%. It's far more interesting to have two starkly different JW scores in this late period of his career. I can't wait to discover both.

The OST album will be on all the usual digital sale / streaming platforms on Friday, November 11th.  Spotify, Youtube, Tidal, Apple Music, Amazon Music, 7Digital, Qobuz, Soundcloud, etc etc etc etc

The physical CD is scheduled to release on Friday, December 9th.

mmm, i'll wait to hear the last track before passing judgement.Sounded promising until the music got interrupted by Haydn

The rest have a depressing vibe like Angela's Ashes  and Presumed Innocent

K.M. who so far has only a mild fever, occasional cough  and runny nose

The melody in Mitzi's Dance and Reverie is nice. The title track doesn't excite me very much at all.

Bits of the rest are nice, in a way that essentially any 'good' composer would've come up with something very similar, with occasional bits where JW's more typical blockbuster sound creep slightly in, with heavier strings or small orchestra.

On 04/11/2022 at 4:05 PM, King Mark said:

whoo, we get a full 17 minutes of JW music mixed with classical source music  for his final Spielberg OST . How exciting.

The man's 90 years old and has just written a new Indiana Jones score.

What if SS had made another music-heavy film requiring hours of music that meant JW couldn't do Indy, or had to do another CoS, or SS chose someone else (Zmmer?) for this score?

The fact that you're not grateful to get 17 mins of new JW music says a hell of a lot.

Again, it's not 17 minutes:

On 04/11/2022 at 9:48 AM, Jay said:

We don't know how much of the 6:08 track 12 is Williams, and how much is Haydn, yet.

I'm a little worried that JW using classical pieces on The Journey Begins might prevent him from being Oscar nominated this year. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but he also included a classical piece in the middle of a cue in Empire of the Sun and was still nominated, right?

To be eligible to be nominated, the amount of original score compared to existing music in the film itself must be over a certain percentage.

To narrow down all eligible scores to the final 5 nominees, the music branch votes based on the FYC albums presented to them.  The Fabelmans FYC will only have Williams' compositions on it.

which could mean it's a good thing for us

K.M. hoping not to be on a breathing machine by the time the OST is released (wait I already am technically)

I love the "Fabelmans" melody.  That struck me and stuck with me instantly.  Lovely and long-lined, with a promising B theme at the end of the sample.  By the way, kudos to whoever plucked these samples for starting in melodically appropriate places.  It doesn't feel random as samples often do.

Very much looking forward to hearing more. I have yet to explore some of the smaller Williams scores, so this might be a fun gateway into those. Sounds excellent!

I love listening obsessively to these samples of what may be JW's last score. 

I like what sounds like the b-part of The Fabelmans theme and the guitar performance in Mother and Son. Did JW get the other JW to perform on his final score?!

So, it doesn't sound like JW planned The Journey Begins to transition into Haydn after all.

Of course I haven't seen the movie yet, but these samples, no matter how lovely they are, sound rather generic. That kind of light pianism is everywhere, and it ends up being samey. Does Williams do it better than others? Maybe, maybe not.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, and I'm glad we got another of these intimate JW scores. But it doesn't seem to have the charm and variety that made his previous intimate scores so great. Hopefully my first impression will change after I watch the movie. 

It's obviously slight, but in a in an elegantly measured, thoughtful way, compare that to the boring, editorializing approach of The Book Thief. The organic inclusion of classic music is a cute way of acknowledging the impact of 'serious' music on Spielberg's life, which is of course the chief reason he approached the music of his movies as he did.

This is delicate and lovely. I have already found much to admire in the samples. Looking forward to it even more now. May or may not be an instant classic but this is undeniably beautifully written music. The quality is just readily apparent. 

I think I hear two themes so far: the main Fabelmans theme and another more delicate, almost hesitant theme that appears in the samples of the back half of the score, maybe a theme for family secrets/conflict?

34 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I heard the whole thing and I can say it's not generic at all. It's restrained, but very heartfelt. There is a French-like character by the way of JW's own unique voice, so it's definitely not the usual generic and trite tinkly piano scoring that is plastered in most contemporary dramas for film and tv shows. Quite the opposite, it shows you can be very musical and profound by stripping it all down to a few instruments and using a restrained approach. The use of piano, harp and celeste is poignant. It's perhaps JW's most chamber-like score of his career, which makes a lot of sense as the film itself is a chamber piece.

I agree. When I heard the first few simple bars of the Fabelman 's Theme, I thought, this could also come from someone like Alexandre Desplat. But already the b-section showed Williams' signature in his vivid way. I am looking forward to hear the whole piece soon.

Worried about the semi-limited edition thing, and that one might have to order quickly. Normally, I wait patiently until a new release drops a bit in price, perhaps on the secondary market. But I've checked around some online stores, and the cheapest I could find at this pre-order stage is 183 NOK with shipping (about $18). That's more expensive than a new CD cost in the store back in the 90s.

Where are members from The Netherlands ordering this from? 

I don't think any Dutch retailers are offering the soundtrack for sale at this moment. 

This is a German site I believe, which might be an option. Or Amazon.de of course.

https://www.playthek.com/john-williams-the-fabelmans-ost-sony-classical-cd-pZZa1-2100722175.html?language=en&currency=EUR&_z=nl&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmaibBhCAARIsAKUlaKSuVfLkZWfPSM2igKUMFInONN1Cd-a3LT1-CvZY9Ultq1DRbww5dggaAi6sEALw_wcB

When you order from a German site, will the soundtrack be a German pressing in the sense that certain information on the back is written in German instead of English? Or is there just one (international) release for this?

10 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Normally I'd be racing to transcribe these themes, but I feel more like just relishing them right now. I mean, "Mother and Son" -- wow. How lucky we are!

BTW, that's almost certainly a self-reference to "Out to Sea" from Jaws a little bit into the last track, right? 

Couldn't agree more to the "Out to Sea" similarity.

Unfortunately, the film is not entitled "The Spielbergs", otherwise a grand medley of all Williams/Spielberg themes during the end credits would have been justified.