The Fabelmans - OST Album

Chewy

10 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Couldn't agree more to the "Out to Sea" similarity.

Unfortunately, the film is not entitled "The Spielbergs", otherwise a grand medley of all Williams/Spielberg themes during the end credits would have been justified.

People have been praising the closing scene/final shot for awhile now. I'm starting to get an idea what it actually might be....

16 minutes ago, Sandor said:

People have been praising the closing scene/final shot for awhile now. I'm starting to get an idea what it actually might be....

It's the opening shot from The Sugarland Express?

2 hours ago, Sandor said:

People have been praising the closing scene/final shot for awhile now. I'm starting to get an idea what it actually might be now....

Yes, I am imagining a young Spielberg with medium long hair, sunglasses and a cap enthusiastically calling "action" through a megaphone to a hustling film crew on the set for Jaws...

Steven Spielberg Film GIF

17 hours ago, Chewy said:

Samples available on the Presto website: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9381464--the-fabelmans-original-motion-picture-soundtrack

EDIT: this is beautiful :lovethis:

I like the detail provided under "Explore" which confirms that the composers are not all dead.

Composers

Not sure about Haydn...

I haven't listened to the samples yet either - at this point I'll probably just wait and listen to the OST album in its entirely when it drops as my first foray into the score other than the 7 seconds in the interview video

31 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I'm just trying to skim through this thread in case any more info pops up about the actual release

What do you mean?

We know the track titles and all their times.

We know the digital release date, we know the expected physical CD drop date.

We have high res art of the front and back cover.

What other "info" could there ever be about this album?

8 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I think I hear two themes so far: the main Fabelmans theme and another more delicate, almost hesitant theme that appears in the samples of the back half of the score, maybe a theme for family secrets/conflict?

I hear 2 themes too.

The main theme and the secondary theme which kinda seems to derive from the B part of the main theme which is briefly heard at the end of the first sample.

I'm just not overly in love with the main theme. Maybe that means the critics will love it and it will win the Oscar.

These Twitter clips sound like 20kbps or something

K.M.coughing a lot.

Just now, King Mark said:

I'm just not overly in love with the main theme. Maybe that means it will win the Oscar

K.M.coughing a lot.

I hope your hearing comes back after you recover. 😉

Just kidding my friend and take care: I had it last year, took me about a week to get over it. 

thanks, I hope this thing doesn't last more than a few days.

Regarding the theme, I think a fully orchestral version would be nice (probably an unreleased track). 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

What do you mean?

It's amazing we know all this without Milan records and Sony Classical mentioning a word.

Hmm, Sony might have some site we can look up press releases, I don't even know

Beth Krakower used to be on top of that stuff but she passed away a couple years ago now

3 hours ago, Jay said:

What do you mean?

Digital release delayed by a week, physical by 3 months.

Disclaimer: not true, just an example

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

I'm just not overly in love with the main theme. Maybe that means the critics will love it and it will win the Oscar.

These Twitter clips sound like 20kbps or something

K.M.coughing a lot.

No, sadly there was not a lot of mentions for the score from critics out of Toronto premiere.

I actually think it is too small for most critics to notice.

Of course we here are going to love it here. But I doubt this is a breakout success for Williams.

It is a beautiful theme, but not the kind that will see a thousands youtube instrumental covers.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

No, sadly there was not a lot of mentions for the score from critics out of Toronto premiere.

I actually think it is too small for most critics to notice.

Of course we here are going to love it here. But I doubt this is a breakout success for Williams.

It is a beautiful theme, but not the kind that will see a thousands youtube instrumental covers.

The score was actually mentioned quite often after TIFF: we had a whole thread devoted to it. 

I don't think Williams needs another 'breakout success' at this point.

Nobody can tell what the theme is going to generate in the long run. I don't think anyone knew how impactful the Theme from Schindler's List would become upon release for example, let alone based on a 60 second sample (!). 

For now; I'm just enjoying every aspect of the last Williams/Spielberg collaboration score. :D

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

I'm just not overly in love with the main theme.

That's because on the grand scale of things, and IMHO, it's not really that great aside from a few nice moments.

As soon as it was known that this was a short score and not very prominent in the film, red flags went up for me regarding expectations.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Did anyone else think that King Mark was pregnant?  

I actually made this faux pas commenting on a friend's instagram story. Congratulated them and everything before they corrected me. :pat:

14 hours ago, Andy said:

Where are people getting that it is a semi limited edition?  I missed that bit. 

I don't think we know yet that it is (or isn't). But given the press-once-and-done approach of film soundtracks on CD over the last couple decades, we should grab our copies now if we care to own it on CD. The price won't ever be lower than it is now and it's sure to jump a hell of a lot on the secondary market if it turns out Sony pressed only a few thousand copies and they sell out quick.

Will it sell out quickly? No clue. But the film score-collecting world knows that the SS/JW collaboration is coming to a close. The Fabelmans is also the first collab in five years and may be the last one where SS is director, so it's special. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes OOP quickly.

9 hours ago, Will said:

A beautiful theme, and it really soars at the conclusion of the end credits (in a moment that I dearly hope, and expect, is included in “The Journey Begins”). 

Well, please reassure us that it's there :D

By the way, if people aren't familiar with Kuhlau's stage music for ELVERHØJ (ELVES' HILL) -- composed just a year after the piece on this album, in 1828, this would be a good opportunity to do so. I never expected a Spielberg film to include a piece from one of the foremost Danish classical composers. I remember programming in a piece from ELVERHØJ for an audition once, for a host job in NRK's classical music department. Didn't get the job in the end, but it was not Kuhlau's fault.