The Fabelmans - OST Album

Chewy

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well, please reassure us that it's there :D

Will do once I can listen. I should clarify -- in order to manage expectations -- that when I say "soars," I mean relative to the rest of the score. Obviously it's not Across the Stars or Rey's Theme. But it's quite a beautiful moment.

Oh, another thing to note that I observed in the film: The main theme doesn't seem to be introduced until very late in the film (though it's possible there were more subtle variations I missed). What I assume is the album's opening track ("The Fabelmans") plays in the final third of the film, if I remember correctly.

I like the main theme more than I did in sample form, and I was particularly drawn to the latter half of Mother and Son.

The rest of the score... not really doing a huge amount for me, to be honest. There's 'tragic' Williams in Midnight Call and overall it's pleasant if slightly unremarkable.

Unfortunately the classical selections don't do much for me; I'm not much of a classical listener at the best of times and the selections here aren't my thing.

6 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Where did you hear the whole thing?

I thought this comes out tomorrow!

It is available online already....if you know where to look. I'll be waiting myself but this is what I've been told.

14 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Where did you hear the whole thing?

I thought this comes out tomorrow!

This is an international forum. It may still be Thursday in the country you live in, but it's already Friday in many countries at this point. 

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/full.html?sort=2

Just now, Jay said:

This is an international forum. It may still be Thursday in the country you love in, but it's already Friday in many countries at this point. 

Well, the 2 people that said listened to the whole thing are in Norway and the UK and certainly isn't Friday there.

But no worries, I'm listening to it right now. :D

OK, first listen, I skipped through the classical pieces.

I'm afraid I will tend to agree with @Richard Penna.

Aside the main theme, which I liked better in "Mother and Son", the score didn't do much for me either.

And since @Thor mentioned his top 3 post-2005 scores, mine would be War Horse, Tintin and Lincoln.

If I were to compare with other "chamber-y" scores, I would much prefer eg. Stanley and Iris.

Without seeing the movie? 😜🫣😱😂

I have a very nice tradition. 

When new JW score is coming, I always bought 200 bottles of beer.

When the first sound clips(1.7 seconds) come out( or some photo of sheet music + transcription of the theme) I start my game.

Every time I see a negative comment here of that, I will have a beer  

And there are many bashers , even a competition, who is first.

Always the same dudes, mentioned here, my heroes.

But it works, I'm always drunk. Many weeks. 

They haven't seen the film, the inspiration for the composer but they know better. I love this place.

1 hour ago, Joni Wiljami said:

Every time I see a negative comment here of that, I will have a beer  

And there are many, even a competition, who is first.

Always the same dudes, mentioned here, my heroes.

But it works, I'm always drunk. Many weeks. 

Sounds like fun, but why direct your energy towards lamenting those who don't find inspiration in JW's latest score?

Who knows, two weeks from now you might see me posting that I now love the score and just bought the CD - much stranger things have happened.

9 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Sounds like fun, but why direct your energy towards lamenting those who don't find inspiration in JW's latest score?

Who knows, two weeks from now you might see me posting that I now love the score and just bought the CD - much stranger things have happened.

I really hope so and if you say, after seeing the film, hearing the whole cd multiple times and its still bad, I'm totally ok. It is  not for you.  But please, give it a chance.

I don't actually plan to see the film btw - I watch very few new films. Almost all of my discovery of new scores is as concept albums. (major recent exception being RoP)

And I never said I thought it was bad.... just not very memorable, and emotionally (because I never talk in musical language) it doesn't have anything in it that I don't hear in other composers' work. It's just 'another score' in my world.

Listened to the soundtrack several times through, a couple times with the classical piece, then without. What I can say for sure is that The Fabelmans is JW's smallest, most intimate score in quite some time. In sound and scale, it is smaller than The Post, Book Thief, Sabrina, or even Stanley and Iris. Aside from a few moments in the end credits, the music never tries to be anything more than intimate, quiet, and gentle. 

There are definitely two repeating themes: the Fabelmans theme and a much colder, hesitant, dramatic theme. They contrast quite a bit but are almost never played back to back. The score is so grounded in solo piano, it's unusual even among JW's more piano-centric scores. I think chamber-like is the best way to describe The Fabelmans.

I think the end credits don't work as well as the rest of the score because it opens up a bit and becomes a bit more full, orchestrally speaking. I would rather it stay small and intimate.

Gonna keep listening to hear what else stands out. Mother and Son is a lovely track, but so far I'm not sure there is a clear highlight track on the OST.

Well, this is it boys and girls. The 29th, and what is possibly?, the final collaboration between Steven Spielberg and John Williams. Enjoy!

Without John Williams, bikes don't really fly. Nor do brooms in quidditch matches. Nor do men in red capes. There is no force. Dinosaurs do not walk the earth. We do not wonder. We do not weep. We do not believe.
-Steven Spielberg

More thoughts from listening to the OST on repeat:

The classical music is important to the listening experience. The score is not the same without them, especially with how the Hadyn piece is Integrated into the final track. Classical music is a part of the soundtrack in an important way.

Reverie is a beautiful piece. The solo piano is so bare, it's kind of devastating which is not what I associate with the word reverie.

The guitar in Mother and Son and The Journey Begins adds some much needed warmth to the score. It contrasts with the harp and the piano in a gentle and satisfying way. Also very reminiscent of Stepmom.

I think I'll edit out the last section of The Journey Begins and call it "theme from Fablemen".

Or delete the Haydn part.

there's silences between so it should be easy.

Wonderful score indeed. 

I confess, I am not really a fan of the celeste sound. It usually brings a kind of baby craddle music box lullaby vibe into every piece where it appears, that I don't particularly like unless it is actually a baby craddle music box lullaby. 

As I haven't seen the movie yet, the movie creates in me associations with other wonderful Williams scores like Angela's Ashes, Stepmom and yes, even Jaws in the last track.

But from experience I know, this score will develop a life of its own in my mind over time. :)

I really hope, for the upcoming concerts Williams will create a little concert suite of The Fabelmans, like he did for BFG.

Gave The Fabelmans a listen this morning and I'm quite taken with it. It's a touching blend of melancholy and warmth that does remind one of the joys and bitterness of childhood. I'm really anxious to hear how Williams' score and the classical pieces are applied within the film itself. Alas, many of us outside of the States have to wait another couple of months before the film reaches our shores but I'm sure this score will tide us over nicely. 

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

classical music is important to the listening experience. The score is not the same without them, especially with how the Hadyn piece is Integrated into the final track. Classical music is a part of the soundtrack in an important way.

Really?

I have listened to the soundtrack 4 times already and every time I skip the classical pieces. :lol:

I don't know, it seems to me they will take you out of the mood that the score creates every time they appear.

5 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Is it just me, or does Qobuz generally seem to have a delay in releasing new albums, compared to the other services? Seems like the OST is available everywhere but there.

It has been available right after midnight in Germany.

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Really?

I have listened to the soundtrack 4 times already and every time I skip the classical pieces. :lol:

Me too! I'm a Williams fan first. I gave them a listen - never a bad thing to explore, but when I feel like some nice Fabelman's music, it's Williams all the way with a bit of an edit in the last track to remove the offending non-Williams music. Sorry Joe Haydn!

It's a very gentle and understated score. Haven't heard any of it before this morning. I think it might have a decent chance winning some awards given that it is a complete antithesis of what you expect from Spielberg/Williams collaborations. The classical pieces work very nicely on the album actually. I need to give it a couple more listens as it is a very small quiet piece but my first impressions are very positive. :)

It sort wants me to re-explore some of the smaller Williams scores now. 

Karol

1 hour ago, pete said:

but when I feel like some nice Fabelman's music, it's Williams all the way with a bit of an edit in the last track to remove the offending non-Williams music. Sorry Joe Haydn!

Did you also create an edit of Home Alone's Holiday Flight where you cut out the parts, that Williams used from Tchaikowsky's Russian Dance from the Nutcracker?

27 minutes ago, danbeck said:

Liked on first listen.

When the last track started I thought my player had skipped to "Out To Sea" from Jaws.

My thoughts exactly. Is it a coincidence or is there some tie-in to Jaws in the film?

45 minutes ago, Quppa said:

My thoughts exactly. Is it a coincidence or is there some tie-in to Jaws in the film?

Thought the same!  Deliberate Jaws citation/quote?