The Fabelmans - OST Album

Chewy

DGA podcast with Spielberg and Paul Thomas Anderson

Just one little reference to JW, Spielberg mentions asking Williams if they should start the score in earlier and that it was Williams' own intuition to really have Mitzi's dance be its first major entrance. 

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I also can't imagine just making a playlist and cutting the classical tracks out, I love this album program! 

Hehe! I have listened to the album like 30 times, and not once with the classical pieces included.

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Just one little reference to JW, Spielberg mentions asking Williams if they should start the score in earlier and that it was Williams' own intuition to really have Mitzi's dance be its first major entrance. 

I'm pretty sure there is some score prior to the dancing scene, though, right?

Like this is early in the movie, I bet it's the first score heard.  It's the same material found in the opening of "The Journey Begins" on the OST (don't think it's literally the same though, so count it as unreleased maybe?)

17 hours ago, Quppa said:

Brett Mitchell's cover of the title track:

I love Brett Mitchell's cover's/ arrangements/transcriptions of some of Williams music, everyone should check out his channel!

10 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

time stamp?

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm pretty sure there is some score prior to the dancing scene, though, right?

Like this is early in the movie, I bet it's the first score heard.  It's the same material found in the opening of "The Journey Begins" on the OST (don't think it's literally the same though, so count it as unreleased maybe?)

I saw the film last night. You are correct, this is the first appearance of John Williams. There were very few scenes with Williams in it. I think I can count them with one hand, need to re-watch to be sure. The most impactful use of music to me was when "The Fabelmans" piano solo comes in near the end.

Edit: Just looked over the tracklist and I think it pretty much covers everything. Just 7 scenes of music not counting "Mother and Son".  "Mother and Son" appears only in the end credits suite.

45 minutes ago, p0llux said:

The most impactful use of music to me was when "The Fabelmans" piano solo comes in near the end.

The piano part was hard to hear for me but the string insert from Mother and Son was really effective 

On 26/11/2022 at 6:06 PM, Thor said:

But you have to remember one thing, Mr. Bellamy: Unless there are 300 minutes of music (regardless if it fits the film or not), and it's in Williams' exubrant style with plenty of cymbal crashes, fanfares, boom-tsh'es and jagged scherzos, it's not worth anything in JW Film Score Fandom.

I'm jesting, of course, but also not. I really adore this little album, and can't wait to see the film when it finally premieres over here.

Oh, certainly there are a category of fans who act hurt and betrayed if they get anything less than a 6-disc box set of epic Williams music :lol:

But I do think you're oversimplifying it a tad. My lukewarm response has nothing whatsoever to do with its intimate sound or length - purely how I react to the music i.e., not very much.

On 28/11/2022 at 1:53 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

time stamp?

PTA brings music up generally at 19:19, JW brought up a minute later 

They actually both get a few details wrong haha. Also "John Sebastian Bach," come on Steven.

In most cases the OST is a good way to get the initial vibe of what the composer's done and see whether the score is for you.

But after that, many album arrangements can go back into the darkness as far as I'm concerned.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

They actually both get a few details wrong haha. Also "John Sebastian Bach," come on Steven.

I kinda like it.  Steve also enjoys

Joe Verdi

Tony Bruckner

Freddy Chopin

Pete Tchaikovsky

Dick Wagner

Hank Purcell

Jimmy Puccini

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Benj Britten

Why on earth Benj instead of Ben or Benny?  Benny Britten has a nice ring to it.

46 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Tony Bruckner is killing me

I remember Tony Bruckner.  He was a running back for the 49ers in 1986.

1 minute ago, blondheim said:

Jimmy Puccini. There is a humorous sketch in here with classical composers as gangsters:

The Maestoso Mafiosos

And obviously running the syndicate is Don Vivaldi and his consigliere Joey Rossini.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

But after that, many album arrangements can go back into the darkness as far as I'm concerned.

Album arrangements are great most of the times.

It's the microedits, non chronological order, source cues inside the main programme, absence of a lot of cues, that I'm not a fan of..

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

It's the microedits, non chronological order, source cues inside the main programme, absence of a lot of cues, that I'm not a fan of..

Love all of that! Obviously, source cues inside the main programme can be hit and miss (I'm still not sold on the march stuff in Chris Young's otherwise deliciously somber MURDER IN THE FIRST, for example), but in this case it works like gangbusters.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Love all of that! Obviously, source cues inside the main programme can be hit and miss (I'm still not sold on the march stuff in Chris Young's otherwise deliciously somber MURDER IN THE FIRST, for example), but in this case it works like gangbusters.

What do you think of the typical numerous Thomas Newman source cues spread about the album?

7 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

What do you think of the typical numerous Thomas Newman source cues spread about the album?

Definitely hit and miss too.

If IMDB is to be believed, this is the first Williams film score recorded in LA for which Sandy DeCrescent did not serve as the orchestra contractor since.... well I don't know when!

A man named Timothy Loo is credited as the contractor on IMDB.  Did she officially retire retire?  I remember her saying that she was pretty much retired for everybody except Williams, Randy Newman, and maybe one other.

Hello everybody. I'm enjoying "The Fabelmans" with my headphones. On track 1 "The Fabelmans" I think I hear the sound of a mouse click. I notice it at minutes 0:08 and also 1:18 and 1:25 (more faint). A rubbing sound is also heard (maybe it's the effect of the piano pedal). On track 5 "Reveire" is also heard. Has anyone else noticed this too?

2 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

“…it's the effect of the piano pedal.” It’s normal.

Ok. And the sound of the mouse click?

I have to say i adore all the new JW music for this film (which i will only be able to see when it starts in our cinemas in Austria in March).

The music is just so beautiful, magical, simple and uplifting.

A real (much too short) gem, which leaves me wanting more... more extensive development of these themes, more extensive arrangements,...

It seems like a wonderful appetizer to a more extensive score that you crave but will never come, it is that good.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Amazon says now, release date of the CD is Dec, 16th 2022.

As does mine, but it still says I won't receive it until January 23rd?

22 minutes ago, Dr. Rick said:

As does mine, but it still says I won't receive it until January 23rd?

You are right. No shipment date announced yet. In the order it says, I will get a mail as soon as they know the shipment date.