The Fabelmans - OST Album

Chewy

On 23/12/2022 at 7:40 PM, blondheim said:

I don’t understand the criticisms against its length. Every time I listen to it I like it more and more.

Yeah, it's a concise presentation. I wouldn't want it to be longer. 

I had to cancel my Amazon order only because they were charging an arms length on shipping-Decided to order directly from my usual boutiques since I can bundle with them and save shipping plus they have it in stock.

On 26/12/2022 at 5:24 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, it's a concise presentation. I wouldn't want it to be longer. 

I wouldn't want it to be any longer because its his worse score! I like his early tv scores better than this! Main theme aside its totally forgettable! Thank god for Indy 5

8 minutes ago, Antonb said:

I wouldn't want it to be any longer because its his worse score! I like his early tv scores better than this! Main theme aside its totally forgettable! Thank god for Indy 5

I think this is the reason your Amistad order is delayed 😉

2 hours ago, blondheim said:

I think this is the reason your Amistad order is delayed 😉

Ha Ha , you could be right, bad karma! serves me right being mardy about The Fabelmans score.

3 hours ago, Antonb said:

I think The Fabelmans is a wonderful score actually. The Main Theme is beautiful, in all its renditions (The Fabelmans, Mother And Son and the latter part of The Journey Begins), but the secondary theme -the one heard in Mitzi's Dance- is a great theme as well.

After having seen the film, the music underscoring that particular scene is a moment of brilliance and it has deeply heightened my appreciation for the secondary theme, actually the most prominent theme in the film itself. To label this theme -and the music underscoring an essential moment in the film- as 'forgettable', really doesn't sound right. 

The secondary theme is also featured as a memorable piano solo piece (Reverie) and later it appears in The Letter and as part of The Journey Begins.

Reflections and The House contain their own thematic material (The House worked wonderfully in the film as well) and all in all I feel there is really a lot of interesting things happening in about 25 minutes of original music.

28 minutes ago, Sandor said:

I think The Fabelmans is a wonderful score actually. The Main Theme is beautiful, but so is the secondary theme, the one heard in Mitzi's Dance.

After having seen the film, the music underscoring that scene is a moment of brilliance and it has heightened my appreciation for the secondary theme, actually the most prominent theme in the film itself. To label this theme -and the music underscoring that essential moment in the film- as 'forgettable', really doesn't sound right.

I'm completely with you on a film with very little music using that music well. It makes audiences notice it far more than when the entire film is scored and it's just 'there'.

Now I'm not sure I'd describe this score as 'forgettable'..... but memorable? I struggle there. There's a space between those where the music is far more than just wallpaper but doesn't achieve a uniqueness or emotional longevity, and for me that's where this score sits. I think if JW wins the Oscar it's going to be more representing an astonishing career with SS, instead of this score.

One of the finer examples of Newman's delicate writing. The piano figure from 4:30 is the sort of thing I don't personally get from Williams' score.

Actually, I'd love to hear what Newman would have done for this film.

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

One of the finer examples of Newman's delicate writing. The piano figure from 4:30 is the sort of thing I don't personally get from Williams' score.

Actually, I'd love to hear what Newman would have done for this film.

As ever, not available in my region, but Newman (R) writes absolutely exquisitely for piano. Had JW not been available to score the Fabelmans, RN would have been a perfect alternative. I doubt his work would have been any less accomplished. Scores such as Awakenings, Avalon, Marriage Story, Ragtime and Pleasantville are all superb. At the risk of going totally off topic, I hope one of the labels is able to release his delightful score to Michael which remains unreleased.

37 minutes ago, Darth Mulder said:

Did you notice this similarity with track Mother and Son?

It is just the effect of the classical guitar.  Imagine the Yorktown march on guitar, and it would start to sound like The Fabelmans.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

It is just the effect of the classical guitar.  Imagine the Yorktown march on guitar, and it would start to sound like The Fabelmans.

I think that kind of descending chord progression is popular to write for guitar music (see Stepmom)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to ask if this has been answered elsewhere but one can't be too careful these days. 

As this is a Sony release, is the US pressing a CD-R or not? I want to order it but can't seem to find any information on this.

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

Here's the chronological order of the OST album:

1. 3    Sonatina in A Minor, Op. 88 No. 3: III. Allegro    1:51
  2. 2    Mitzi’s Dance    2:05
  3. 4A [0:00-0:47]    Midnight Call    0:47
  4. 7    Sonatina in C Major, Op. 36 No. 3: Spiritoso    1:58
  5. 9    Concerto in D Minor, BWV 974: II. Adagio    3:46
  6. 5    Reverie    1:44
  7. 4B [0:41-end]    "Rainy Night"    1:42
  8. 10    New House    2:28
  9. 6    Mother and Son    2:28
  10. 11    The Letter    2:08
  11. 12    The Journey Begins    6:08

Not in film

1. 1   The Fabelmans   2:13
  2. 8    Reflections    2:02

OK, half of "The Fabelmans" actually IS in the film; It replaces the first half of "Mother and Son", but I suspect this is tracking.

"Reflections" sounds like it could be an alternate of "The Letter"

"Midnight Call" is the only track on the album that combines music from two different scenes together in one track. And the overlap is long hence the disparate timings above.

All the other tracks contain one single cue by itself with nothing else (except the final track, which combines the final cue in the film with the end credits)

Almost every cue in the film uses different takes than the album.  Mitzi's Dance and the end credits are noticeably longer, for example.

And there's 2 score cues in the film that aren't on the album at all.

Thanks for this!

The first original score music heard in the film is actually the opening part of the last track The Journey Begins.

No idea if this is a seperate recording or just tracked from the final cue.

1 minute ago, Sandor said:

Thanks for this!

No problem

The first original score music heard in the film is actually the opening part of the last track The Journey Begins.

Nope!  It's a completely unreleased cue that has some similarities to The Journey Begins

No idea if this is a seperate recording or just tracked from the final cue.

Absolutely a separate recording, not one second of it is the same as The Journey Begins.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

No problem

Nope!  It's a completely unreleased cue that has some similarities to The Journey Begins

Absolutely a separate recording, not one second of it is the same as The Journey Begins.

Ah ok! Thanks for clarifying this for me! 

Having seen the film finally, I've listened to the OST album a few more times now (I only listened to it twice when it came out, and then I waited until I saw the film to return to it)

I definitely like the score much more now that I know the context for the music!  And the OST album really does capture the whole essence of the score and Mitzi's piano performances, though it's odd it isn't complete in either regard. 

There's an amazing western guitar / strings / horn solo cue in the film that isn't on the album that would really tie into the filmmaking aspects of the movie in the way that none of the other score cues do (the music is like the vision in Sam's head of the finished movie he is shooting as he's shooting it). 

And the one piano piece Mitzi plays in a scene where every character is watching and commenting on it is the one that isn't on the album, very strange decisions in both cases.

Also, it's kind of funny to realize now that the album's cover (from the movie poster of course) is the final shot in the whole movie.  How many soundtrack covers do that?

Yup, it's not surprising at all, as this is exactly the kind of stuff Williams thinks about when crafting his album experiences.

As a fan of all his music, and a big fan of this cue, it's disappointing, though, as it's unlikely we'll get an expansion for a very long time

The FYC would have been an obvious place to release it, but somehow they skirted the academy rules and just uploaded the OST album instead of the actual film cues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It was like the opposite for me where it instantly made me emotional in a way that only the TROS theme has done for me for modern Williams (most of which are growers).  The melodic contour, the simple chord progression, the classic 2010s stripped back JW piano sound.

I haven't seen the film yet, but the OST in all it's simplicity has made an lasting impression on me. I think I will always be thinking of Milan when I hear it in years to come - like some specific fragrance or colour that triggers memories of certain situations or emotions.

I still have trouble with the 'A' part of the theme, whereas going into the 'B' part and whatever you call the rest, is a bit more interesting.

My main issue is that for scores I love, they instantly evoke some sort of imagery, place, situation, etc very strongly. So strong in fact that I have scores/tracks I can't listen to because the association went 'wrong' and I don't want to remember some memory.

With this score, nothing appears in my mind for most of it. The main theme, and the melodty in Mitzi's Dance, sure - I can picture a pleasant cinematic image, but it doesn't go much further than that. Certainly, the idea of Mother and Son being composition of the year... umm, what?

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of strange for Spielberg to say "this was a wonderful way for Johnny to finish up his career as a film composer" when he's producing Indy 5 that Johnny scored after this

That's so cool that the finale and end credits of the feature is scored by JW playing the theme on his piano in his house, and that the footage constantly cuts back to it, and wraps up with it.  Maybe Bouzereau ain't so bad :)

I finally got around to watching the movie and must say I didn't expect so much source music from classic films. I understand why they did it like that, but selfishly I wish Williams had been able to compose some fanfares in the style of the period (yes, I'm thinking of 'Suite from “Angels with Filthy Souls II”' from Home Alone 2).