The Fabelmans - OST Album

Chewy

32 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Ah ok, thanks.

Could it be wrong though?

Of course

32 minutes ago, Sandor said:

Like back in 2001 an initial tracklist was published for the A.I. OST which was different from the final release? 

Well that was published in a news article about the upcoming score, not on a retailer's website selling the album

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Well that was published in a news article about the upcoming score, not on a retailer's website selling the album

There was the Amazon listing for "Jabba Flow" on the TFA album just a couple weeks before it was released iirc. Of course that ended up not being the case and instead they released it as a single like a year later.

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

30 minute OST is so 90s.

But many were not bad in retrospect, after listening to the 90 minute versions, that is. Except you were Goldsmith and insisted on cutting lots of exciting cues for meager sneaking around stuff, just to balance the cd exactly like the movie (why?).

6 hours ago, publicist said:

But many were not bad in retrospect, after listening to the 90 minute versions, that is. Except you were Goldsmith and insisted on cutting lots of exciting cues for meager sneaking around stuff, just to balance the cd exactly like the movie (why?).

With this I was especially referring to Goldsmith. I remember how disappointed I was with the OST of L.A. Confidential as it felt to me just like an uneven glimpse through the keyhole onto this score. Two 30 minute albums were published for this one. One with the score and one with the songs.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

With this I was especially referring to Goldsmith. I remember how disappointed I was with the OST of L.A. Confidential as it felt to me just like an uneven glimpse through the keyhole onto this score.

That would actually the last release i would accuse of depriving us of great music (there wasn't much music in the movie and it was more of the sneaking-around variety). I remember sitting in the cinema between 1994 and 1997 crying when i heard the outstanding set pieces that were left off 'Chain Reaction', 'First Knight', 'The Shadow' (the list goes on) that practically begged from the screen 'Release me!'. Instead he bestowed us at least 15-20 minutes of non-descript suspense and atmospherical stuff (hands up who would've chosen 'Assassins' over 'Be Safe' or 'Who am I' over 'Fight Like a Man' or 'The Mirrors').

It was like a curse. There was a big promo campaign for 'Mulan' showcasing the 'Huns Attack' sequence, me and some friends who were also into the hobby back then had practically wet trousers in anticipation of this brilliant two-minute cue, but what did JG do? He called a cue 'The Huns Attack' and joined a lighter separate cue from long before that scene and added the second part of the ensuing avalanche sequence. We were convinced that this practice was fully intended, Goldsmith giving us personally the finger saying 'You really wanted that cue, eh? Though luck!' :D

In retrospect i really think he was choosing a selection of cues that reflected the narrative of the movie, it never seemed to occur to him that there were probably not more than 5 people in total wanting stripped-down background music for a scene of Keanu Reeves trying to retrieve a fax.

Although I do love the expanded edition, I've always thought that OST for The Ghost and the Darkness was a pretty great listening experience. As was The Mummy.

But The Shadow was indeed one of the biggest offenders

The Mummy is an annoying one because there's a lot of nice material in the later part of the score that was omitted entirely from the album. Also missing the smaller cues such as Off Balance and other short cues towards the start feels like it robs the album of a bit of variety.

Amongst the bit he did include, there aren't any suites, drastically different versions or other things that make the OST a long-term curiosity for me - it's just a selection of music, free of microedits, but missing good stuff.

That's how I see his album production in contrast to Williams/Zimmer. Very little editing or suite-making - just leaving a lot of score off.

7 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The Mummy is an annoying one because there's a lot of nice material in the later part of the score that was omitted entirely from the album. Also missing the smaller cues such as Off Balance and other short cues towards the start feels like it robs the album of a bit of variety.

Well, it was more like the middle part of it. It has the score nicely covered until "Discoveries", before the mummy awakes and then the next track is "My Favourite Plague", when shit is already going on on a large scale and from then on almost everything is included on the OST again.

Aside from the fact that almost the entire middle part of the score is missing from the OST - it is an ingenious album program, a great listening experience!

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Though Sand Storm should have been included. Another puzzling omission.

I don't find that puzzling. It is such a ridiculously plain and over-the-top repetition of the well-represented themes that it seems congruous not to include it on the OST.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's crazy to think that this and Indy 5 might forever be the last 2 albums in the main Williams section of my CD shelf

You won't be buying premiere and expanded releases in the future?

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

The main section of the shelf is chronological in the order he wrote the scores, not the order the version of the album came out

Still whenever the expanded releases for this and Indy 5 come out in 50 years you'll be able to add those to the shelf

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The main section of the shelf is chronological in the order he wrote the scores, not the order the version of the album came out

Ah, last on the shelf, not last acquisition that ends up on the shelf, gotcha.

I organize my collection in much the same way.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

At least you'll still have the Indy 5 expansion to look forward to. I sort sequel scores right after the first in the series, so chances are Fabelmans will be at the end of the Williams section - and whether that'll have anything to expand remains to be seen.

4 hours ago, thx99 said:

From the Legacy of John Williams FB page...

image.png

I'm ignorant of all this Brahms except his lullaby, so I thought that was Williams improvising!

On 28/10/2022 at 6:29 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Everyone here is so obsessed with size

I mean... One shouldn't judge the score by the length of it but by the girth of the orchestration used!

10 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

He does something with the harmonies that initially sound more like Williams than Brahms.

I definitely heard “Star of Bethlehem”

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

So, I don't know if it have been pointed out before, but The Fabelmans will be the 109th soundtrack album of John Williams (thanks @Junion), his 149th if we count his other solo studio albums.

With the next Indy, the magical 150 number will be reached. 

What if we count the expansions? 

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

What if we count the expansions? 

Please visit the Wiki page of the discography for the details (note that The Fabelmans is not here, since it's not yet released): John Williams discography - Wikipedia.

It's easy to pick the number you want from our discography (made and managed by @Junion and me), but I would say that normally we use the (solo) "studio album" count when we talk about the number of albums released by an artist.

Therefore, I would say the number "149" is the most significative one even for John Williams's unique reality (as a performer, composer and conductor). Of course, if you want to boost that number, I would add the "collaborations and featurings" before the "expanded reissue soundtrack albums"... 

Goldang it, Spielberg, edit and release your recording session footage already!  How many more moments like this are sitting on a bearded hard drive somewhere in California right now?

Well, the 8 score-only tracks (1-2, 4-6, 8, 10, 11) total 17:31

The 3 purely non-Williams tracks (3,7,9) total 7:35

We don't know how much of the 6:08 track 12 is Williams, and how much is Haydn, yet.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

We don't know how much of the 6:08 track 12 is Williams, and how much is Haydn, yet.

My bet is that it starts with the Haydn piece and transitions to Williams and that the track will be majority Williams.